Thread: How long does popcorn last

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The Groove
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How long does popcorn last

How long does unpopped popcorn last? Is it a good thing to keep on hand?
    John 3:16
    “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dry packed a 50 lb bag of popcorn about 10 yrs ago, we have one can left on the shelf now. The last can I opened about 6 months ago still popped just fine. I think the shelf life if dry packed is about 20 yrs.

I need to dry pack some more now that hubby has a job and I can afford to buy the popcorn and cans. Our ward has a can sealer and it is sitting at my house.

And as for a good thing to have....YES, it makes a wonderful treat and you can grind it for cornmeal

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

According to The Popcorn Book that I think I bought from Scholastic at least 24 years ago:

"Popcorn is the oldest of three main types of corn...was discovered by the Indian
    people in the Americas many thousands of years ago...But popcorn is even older
    than that. In a bat cave in New Mexico, archeologists found some popped corn that
    was 5,600 years old...And 1000-year-old popcorn kernels were found in Peru that
    could still be popped."

I've read if stored corn won't pop put it in a jar in the fridge with a tablespoon of water, then try again in a few days.
    The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 646 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got at least a hundred pounds of popcorn in my storage. Good question that I never bothered to ask.
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a good question, i know popcorn depends on a certain amount of moisture to cause it to pop, probably depends on type of climate you live in.

There can't be a crisis this week, my schedule is already full!!!!!!!!!!

Wheels Are Churnin'
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

If old popcorn dries out so much that it won't pop, put a bout a table spoon full or so of water into a quart of popcorn and seal it in a plastic bag or jar for a few days. This rehydrates it so it will pop. I know this works because I have done it.

Someone gave me some 20+ year old nitrogen packed popcorn that had been stored with dessicant packs to feed to birds. It was too old to pop I was told. I did some research on the internet and found out about adding the water to make it pop.

I ate it and bought bird seed to feed the birds
    Quid, Me Anxius Sum? --- Alfred E. Newman

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

On a related note, i asked my wife about popping corn without the microwave or airpopper. She got the old fashioned one that sits by our woodstove(as a decoration) and started popping.
    Worked really great with coconut oil...then some butter and salt.

The holes in lid work great since you can turn the whole thing over and shake out unpopped kernels bofore putting corn into a bowl
    In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it? -Joseph Smith