Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Color of Tomatoes

Here are a few of the tomatoes we brought in yesterday:

The two cherries are Golden Nugget and Brownberry. Brownberry is our absolute favorite for flavor. Golden Nugget tastes great and has the added advantage of ripening a good 10 days to 2 wks before any of the others.

Just below the cherries is a bunching grape variety, sort of a large cherry-sized. It is and heirloom called Indigo Rose. (More later.) In fact, all my tomatoes are heirlooms.

On the left is Black Krim, a Russian heirloom that is the absolute best tasting tomato. It's the tomato that converted my teenage son from a tomato hater to a tomato lover.

The next two are Amish Paste. Do you see why this is my favorite paste tomato ever? It's the first tomato to ripen in my garden and produces large fruits. The one on the right is about the size of my fist. Great tomato flavor.

Finally, comes Dr. Wyche's Yellow. The flavor is pretty good, production is good, a large beefsteak size. This is our second year planting it, but last year was such a failure for all my tomatoes (too much rain!) that I decided to with hold judgment give this one a second chance to prove itself. It's not as meaty, more juicy than I'd like. Even so, I think it's a keeper.

Here are the tomatoes from today's lunch:

Purple Prudens--not pictured in the first picture. It's sometimes called the world's ugliest tomato and it is ugly, poor thing. It's all lobes and scars easily. But it's our favorite tasting red. It really sets the standard for a good tomatoey flavor. But because it's so ugly I don't often take pictures of it.

Then the Dr. Wyche's Yellow with Black Krim on the bottom. You can seen how meaty the flesh is. A nice green-black color inside.

And finally, our Indigo Rose on the bush:

Isn't this just the prettiest bush of tomatoes? BTW, the cage is 5' tall, so you have an idea of how tall it is. For us this is a little smaller than average. All our tomato plants are a minimum of 5', most are 6' or taller. Finding cages is always a challenge. I still have to shore up many of the sturdier cages with a stake of rebar.

It produces a beautiful fruit, deep purple on one side (the side facing the sun) and a rosy red on the other. The flesh is red. But I hate to say it: that's all she is folks, she's just good looks. The flavor's not the great and she takes forever to ripen. So far, we've only gotten 4 tomatoes from a very prolific plant. I talked to a lady at the nursery where we bought this variety and she said that was her opinion as well--flavor is only so-so (and when there are some many varieties with eye-popping flavor, so-so just doesn't get you another planting.) and slow to ripen. So I was glad to hear it wasn't just me.
    Last edited by prairiemom; 08-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.