Thread: Canning soup

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just use your favorite soup recipe, multiplied by 100. (Kidding! Multiply your recipe by however much you want to can and/or have enough ingredients for.) In this case I used 7 lbs cubed pork, 5 large onions, 2 whole bunches of celery, 4 lbs of carrots, 6-7 lbs potatoes (not really sure how much, about 15 qts when cubed), six 14-oz cans of diced tomatoes (they were getting old and needed to be used), herbs (1/4 C each parsley and basil and 2 Tbsp oregano) and seasoning (6-7 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp chili powder from my garden, a couple tablespoons of Old Bay seasoning and four tablespoons beef bullion powder.)

I browned the meat and added the juices from that to the soup stock. The pork, veggies, tomatoes, herbs and seasoning went into a BIG stock pot with 10 Qts water. Bring to a boil, pour into prepared jars and process them in a pressure canner.

Rice and pasta don't endure home canning very well. They just turn into a gloppy mess, so you don't use them in your home-canned soups. If I want to, I can add leftover noodles or rice to the soup when I open the jars. I can add extra stock or veggies if I need a bigger pot of soup than one quart. One quart is the equivalent of two cans of Progresso Soup. But this is much tastier and healthier.

I have dozens--perhaps 75 or more--jars of home canned chili, beef and barley soup, turkey and chicken soups in my basement. That means that dinner is always just 10 minutes from being served.
    Last edited by prairiemom; 04-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prairiemom For This Useful Post:

faif2d (04-07-2013), GAMom (04-07-2013), Looking Forward (04-06-2013)