Thread: Canning soup

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Canning soup

I think I told you last fall about getting 300 lbs of potatoes. At least I hope I did. Anyway, we've been eating potatoes in every size, shape and recipe you can imagine for the last six months or so and now some are starting to sprout. So last week pork roast was on sale and I bought some. I also had some organic celery and carrots. So for about $16 I got 23 qts of soup. In my picture I say 21 qts, because that's how much I canned. I also had 2 more qts that we had today for lunch (along with homemade rolls) So it ended up costing about 1/3 of what canned Progresso Soup might cost, and I used mostly organic ingredients.

On Monday I'll start dehydrating potatoes. My goal is to dehydrate 20 lbs. That will take about 2 dryer-loads, so I figure 2 days. My husband was skeptical when we got so many, but I think we'll come pretty close to using most of them up before they go bad. (I've given about 20 lbs to my married son. I wanted to give him more, but for some reason, he's not as excited to get free food and hasn't used them so much. Maybe the food storage gene is recessive? )

Not bad for an hour's worth of digging, huh?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prairiemom For This Useful Post:

GAMom (04-06-2013), Julie (04-05-2013), Looking Forward (04-06-2013), loquaciousmomma (04-05-2013)