Thread: Stuck Auger

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stuck Auger

Not really a gardening topic but close. I need to dig alot of post holes for some new fence so I finally pulled the trigger and bought a post hole digger attachment for my tractor. I drilled a "practice" hole and everything went great.....a 3ft hole in literally a few minutes vs. about an hour or more of digging with the idiot sticks. I started drilling the first hole on the fence line and it got bound up and could not be lifted out. I finally disconnected the auger from the arm and started digging by hand.
    This picture was early on in the rescue process. I eventually had to dig all around the auger and even then it wouldnt come out. The auger had ground up some white shale type rock and mixed with a little clay type soil, created a "mortar" that cemented itself in the ground.
    I ended up banging it back and forth and side to side with a sledge and then was finally able to reverse it out of the rock by running a steel bar through the mounting holes and having my son help me twist it inch by inch until it came loose.
    It took about 4 hours of digging, prying and hammering after unhooking from the tractor. Some of the words I said during this "learning experience" cannot be repeated on this forum

In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it? -Joseph Smith

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CurtisG For This Useful Post:

ghostcat (10-27-2013)