Thread: Help me with Yarrow

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have only used it in the garden to protect my vegetables. The bad bugs love it, and it kills them! Oh, it is invasive too - so unless you want it to take over the garden beds, keep it in a container. Can't remember if it is an annual or a perennial - but here on the Central Oregon Coast, planted in 5 gallon totes it is a perennial. I just cut it back to about 2" from the ground after the flowers & stems brown and die. Snapdragons are perennials here too. My snapdragons took off and bloomed like crazy during the summer. I would cut off the spent blooms to keep it looking neat, and more would bloom out. Then it looked like the plants had died, so I trimmed it all back to about 2" from the soil. We have had such a warm and dry fall that they all grew and bloomed again.

Here it is winter, two days ago we finally got the winter rains and winds and my snap dragons are nearly ready to bloom yet again. In the first part of Dec. we had overnight lows in the teens - which is not normal for here.. I have all of my outdoor plants in pots, as this lot that my manufactured is on has no tillable soil. The yarrow is growing too. Filled up the pot, is now about 5" of growth. The local cats don't like it, they have avoided using those planters as their bathroom. If I didn't need the parking space, I would have more pots of yarrow so that the cats can't jump over and use the other planters. The ones with my vegetables and bulbs. Cat urine absolutely destroys and deforms vegetables and bulbs.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

ghostcat (01-14-2014), NoGreaterLove (01-11-2014)