Thread: Eating what you store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Eating what you store

I've resolved to eat more of the various things I've stored. In the past I've made tortillas and a lot of other things from scratch to practice using my wheat. But I've never used the beans much, other than the refried bean flakes. Honestly, I figured that since I knew how to cook with beans, I didn't need to practice much.
    A few things influenced me to change that. First, last year one of the local church farms offered a huge discount on black beans that had had too much moisture and had thus split, making them unable to distribute them at the level of quality they normally did. So I bought a fifty pound bag thinking that it would be a cheap way to extend my grocery budget. The second reason is that I decided to make a concerted effort to eat more fiber, and black beans are an amazing source of fiber.
    What I discovered is that while yes, technically I know how to cook beans, I didn't actually know many recipes for them. I've been on an amazing journey of discovery as I try new bean dishes. Right now I have some baked beans going in the oven (using pinto beans, not black beans). I'm looking forward to trying home made baked beans. I've made refried beans, chili (which I've actually made before), soup, etc. There are a lot of wonderful things that you can do with beans.
    The moral of the story is that it pays to cook with and get familiar with various elements of your food storage, even if you think you have the skills to cook it in case of disaster.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arbilad For This Useful Post:

Aldon (01-16-2015), Earthling (01-17-2015), ghostcat (01-17-2015), jennvan40 (01-16-2015), Julie (01-16-2015), KF7EEC (01-15-2015)