Thread: Book(s) suggestions for Governments and similar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Book(s) suggestions for Governments and similar

All,

I have Food and protection/harvest preps in place...More always ongoing but focus has shifted elsewhere.

I am starting to focus on adding to my fairly well stocked Doctrinal and Church material.

I have deemed it appropriate to build a small library of basic skills like math etc.

Are there any books that discuss the different types of governments?

Also, i have the books the Real Jefferson, Washington & Franklin and some other similar works.

I would like to add something that covers the Federalist and Anti-Federalist discourse. Any suggestions on this?

Also, As I have yet to acquire the basic school materials, any suggestions in this regard will also be appreciated.

In the end, I wish myself or someone else be able to teach from my library from cradle to grave...so to speak (The Doctrinal stuff covers much)

I would prefer that the library be condensed in biggest bang for the shelf and carry space.....
    Want to tick off a conservative? Tell them a lie. Want to tick off a liberal? Tell them the truth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldon For This Useful Post:

NoGreaterLove (01-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 583 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would suggest buying a home school curriculum for basic school materials. Something like the Robinson curriculum has all sorts of books on CD that you can print out, either in advance or at need.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arbilad For This Useful Post:

Aldon (01-27-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

looking for hard copy books. I do not trust that electronic media will endure.....the unknown situations the future may hold.

I picked up a nice 6 volume set on Jeffereson off ebay for about 5 a piece.

I would like something that discusses the different types of governments, the pluses and minuses etc. Not sure if such a thing exists.

On the trail of a pretty good Federalist / anti-federalist book.

Then I need to dig up the usual basics. Ideally I want hard copy books not tainted by Unions and Progressives.
    Want to tick off a conservative? Tell them a lie. Want to tick off a liberal? Tell them the truth.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

As a now 'retired' home school mom, I recommend the 'Key to' series for math studies. Once you have basic math down: addition, subtraction, multiplying, and division, the 'Key to' series each cover fractions, percent, measurements, algebra, geometry, etc. These are all paper workbook type, but I just made copies of the pages since I had 5 kids using the series at different times.

As for government type books...most of the books that NCCS sells is what we used along with books written by GAs and H. Verlan Anderson.

For science we used basic science books and then the kids branched off from there depending on what they wanted to study more in depth.

For grammar I found some republished books from the late 1800's/early 1900's that were excellent. sorry, it has been too many years since we home schooled to remember the name of the set I bought.

I also bought a cursive handwriting course that was published by the same place that did the grammar books.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to libertygranny For This Useful Post:

Aldon (01-27-2015), ghostcat (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a link to what seems like a good one: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Fede.../dp/0872206556

I have a copy of this book http://www.amazon.com/DYNAMIC-FREEDO.../dp/B0014XDVNA , it's a nice little primer on our founding principles.

A scan from inside.....

Last edited by CurtisG; 01-30-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it? -Joseph Smith

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CurtisG For This Useful Post:

Aldon (01-31-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try "The 5,000 Year Leap" by Skousen. It talks about how our forefathers studied all former governments before forming our Republic.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Jride For This Useful Post:

Aldon (01-31-2015), CurtisG (01-31-2015), kenh (01-31-2015)