Thread: Bulging cans

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bulging cans

My wife noticed that one of our food storage cans was bulging. My first thought is, well, we should throw it away. Then I started wondering, how can muffin mix get botulism? Doesn't botulism need water for its growth? So I checked with the company that sold it to me. 3 year old muffin mix (and mine is 3 years old) can sometimes have a problem with the leavener inside activating, thus creating gasses that bulge the can. According to them it is still safe to eat, but we should use it up soon. And add a bit more leavener to help it rise, since the leavener that has already activated is no good.
    Just thought that I would post that as a public service announcement.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arbilad For This Useful Post:

Aldon (06-02-2015), DMGNUT (06-01-2015), Dr.Jride (06-02-2015), ghostcat (06-01-2015), loquaciousmomma (06-02-2015), Toni (06-02-2015)