Thread: Cover crops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cover crops

I'll be getting chickens soon. It's been years since I raised chickens. I was thinking of planting oats and alfalfa over the winter so that the chickens will have that as part of their feed come spring. But here's my question. Are the chickens going to eat all the seeds and seedlings, even if I spread seed very liberally? I know that chickens are murder on gardens, but would they eat all of it?
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

He is my Savior and Redeemer. I will follow Him. NoGreaterLove's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 466 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes, they will eat anything
    • John 15:13

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Wheels Are Churnin'
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chickens will eat about any kind of seed, bug, worm or what ever they can get into their beaks. If you want them to have fresh greens, you may have to fence them out of the newly planted area, or at least part of it, until the green stuff has a chance to grow up a good bit.

Make sure any seed you plant is free of insecticide and fungicide unless you want bug free chickens with no fungus on them. Even if you cover the seed, they may get into some of it and it may not be good for them.
    Quid, Me Anxius Sum? --- Alfred E. Newman