Thread: 99 boxes of Rice A Roni in the cupboard

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 99 boxes of Rice A Roni in the cupboard

Just tossed about a dozen boxes of Rice A Roni because they were infested with bugs! These I bought just recently - as compared to the three boxes that I bought over 8 years ago and vacuumed sealed. Totally didn't vacuum seal them.

In prepping for the Handy Man to come and remove the inset range top and it's cabinet, dead microwave above the range top, dead wall oven and the horrible, dirty carpeting on the kitchen floor - I had to move everything to the dining room table. Since my kitchen was upside down, I went into my food storage cupboard to find a meal to microwave (new microwave was sitting on the kitchen counter). As I dumped the Rice A Roni into a casserole dish, lo and behold there were the lil creepy's crawling around. At closer inspection saw the dead carcasses of their ancestors in there too. BLEH. Sigh, change of menu ~ Pasta Roni. Dumped a box of Fettuccine Alfredo into a same casserole dish, again with the bugs!! Dumped the four boxes of them. ARGH!

The moral of this story is: NO more boxed dinners where the rice/ pasta is loose. Hamburger/ Tuna Helper has the pasta in plastic.

Just opened one of the Rice A Roni's that was vacuumed sealed - bugs!!! Double ARGH! OK - since we really like Rice A Roni, and I like the simplicity of cooking it- IF it goes on sale for a fantastic price - guess it will need to be emptied into a vacuum seal bag with it's packet of seasoning and the flavor written on the outside of the bag. Then make photocopies of the directions and keep in my 3-ring binder cookbook.

Think I paid $0.88 a box. Need to stock up on more Rice/Pasta Sides in the envelopes, only have about three of them left.

I had been buying jars of pasta sauces: Alfredo, Cheddar, etc. BUT they just don't store for very long AND one jar is way too much for me. Hubby really doesn't like pasta. He likes the cheesy sauces over cooked veggies or even on mashed potatoes. I had been veering away from dehydrated 'cause if there is no water then how to you cook 'em? Well, we don't like frozen green beans, seems they just never get cooked enough. The water from the canned green beans used in place of the water for the envelope of dry cheese sauces works great. Oh, yeah - they call for milk. Well I use evaporated milk, add the green bean water and presto-chango mmmmmmm good cheesy sauces. Same for envelope gravy mixes. Except no evaporated milk, just green bean water. I use it for the Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes too. Once I added canned beet water. Pretty pink potatoes. Just don't do it to the roasted garlic potatoes. YUCK!

One of the men at church eats mashed carrots in his mashed potatoes. Well I had 6 cans of carrots. They are mushy as all get out - so I added one can to three envelopes of mashed buttery potatoes - measured the water from the can, added more water to make 6 cups. While the water came to a boil in the microwave, I took my hand blender and mashed the carrots up. Then I added the 3 envelopes of instant potatoes, added the boiling water and again - TaDa Yummy Good Spuds. Fed Hubby and two Missionaries plus myself. Had no leftovers. Oh we had meatloaf, made with fresh ground pork and lean hamburger.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

arbilad (03-22-2016), jennvan40 (03-22-2016)