Thread: Lessons learned from storing foods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Lessons learned from storing foods

In Mirkwood's blog, he has a picture of shelves of foods. Among these are top ramen, canned chili (I think it is chili) and Hormel Completes. Some time ago I bought one each of the available flavors of the completes. Loved the beef stew - always have liked it in the cans, all sizes of cans. Didn't like the other beef one. Then I ended up shoving all of the boxed goods into the *den* cause I was feeding the neighbors the TurDucken that BIL shipped to us. So the completes were in a box and totally out of mind.

Flash forward a couple of years, the stores are really pushing these completes. Lots of coupons out there for $1.00 to $3.00 off of 1 to 3 Completes. So, I buy one of each flavor. Even the breakfast ones. Here is my report: Breakfast ones are N A S T Y. Pure & simple N A S T Y. Husband will eat pretty much anything - even he passed on those. The Chix 'N Dumplings, Chix 'N noodles, Chix Alfredo are all okay. Need a bit of salt and pepper. The beef stew is still good. Then there is the Cheesy, Bacon Noodles. BLEH, N A S T Y. Honestly it tastes like furniture lacquer.

I have stocked up on the envelopes of Rice Sides, Noodle Sides (I know this is not their names, but it is what they are). Really love the Alfredo Noodles. BUT the entire envelope is 2X more than I can eat, and hubby won't eat them anymore. Pasta & Rice are bad for him he thinks. BAH Humbug, he is nuts.

I was buying 6-8 oz. jars of alfredo sauces at the Dollar Tree for a $1.00 - and adding that to pasta. Still it was a bit more than I can eat. BUT these Completes are just the right size. Add two handfuls of frozen veggies to a nukable dish, two slices of whole wheat bread with real butter on them and I am in heaven.

I really like Nalley's Chili. Original, Thick and the one with Onions. Discovered that Hubby likes it on top of an all beef hot dog-n-bun (or slice of whole wheat bread) with extra raw onions and two handfuls of grated cheese.

Then there are the Rosarita's Refried Beans. Any flavor. We have tried other brands and they all give Hubby horrible gas pains. I like to make *Cheater* Tacos. Use real hamburger or the dehydrated beef substitute, along with freeze dried/dehydrated onions, bell peppers, celery bits. Taco seasoning and your favorite taco/tortilla chips. Or flour tortilla's. When I was a wee child, Mom made potato/flour lefse. Only difference from flour tortilla is the potato added to it.

So, what foods do you have in storage that you eat all the time. What foods do you no longer store for long term because they have a short shelf life? Me, it is Mayo and Miracle Whip. Even if the Mayo is $2.58 a bottle, if there is one in the cupboard, not buying any more. I quit buying cheese whiz in the jars (store brand too). It just doesn't taste good anymore. Hubby and I think it tastes like there is furniture polish in it. BUT the box w/3 packets of Velveeta cheese (the same envelopes of cheese that is in their Shells & Cheese box, are just the right size to use on vegetables or to make Mac N Cheese.

Top Ramen - I vacuum seal them now. I do stop the vacuum before it goes the whole way so I don't end up with noodle dust when I open them up to use. I did take some of them out of the cello wrap, added some FD/Dehydrated veggies, extra flavoring (chix or beef) then sealed them up again. Hubby really doesn't like them, but for a quick lunch add a beef hot dog cut up, and in a separate pot boil a couple of eggs. To the shrimp flavored ones I added more vegetable broth flavoring. I always have frozen, cooked, peeled shrimp in the freezer.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

arbilad (04-14-2016), mirkwood (04-27-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last month we chose to use the bulk of our food budget to pay for a handyman to fix the kitchen. So that means that I am only buying fresh salads (Ready Pac Bistro Santa Fe style). The rest of the food is what is sitting in the freezer[pork shoulder roast, pork loin roast, buy one get two free seasoned pork loin chops, chix breasts, chix hind quarters, 93% fat free hamburger.] Plus what is in long & short term storage. Oh and the Christmas 2015 Turducken, all 22 pounds of it.If you like Cajun seasonings and gooey corn meal mush that is force injected between the chicken & duck, and duck and turkey, then eat it. Personally I hate it. To the point where I will cook it for Hubby and the people he invites over, but I eat an all beef hot dog with the mashed potatoes & veggies.

That is where I discovered that the jar of cheese whiz, alfredo sauce and the 4 packs of 6 yr old top ramen were bad. I am clearing out the boxes from the Den and discovered the Hormel Completes. All 12 of them. There must be 12 bankers boxes that are 3/4 to 1/3 full of JUNK. The 3/4 full one is of various electronic cords. Like cords to obsolete and long gone computers. Don't fit any of the computers we have or will ever get. There are power cords that I have no notion what they are to power up. Then there are about 6 extension cords that have been cut up with female ends added. Oh and the small boxes and boxes of the large floppy's and the smaller floppy's. Those are jammed in the drawers of his HUGE desk. HUGE- Like it takes 4 healthy, strong men to move this thing when it is EMPTY. Is there anyone who would even buy these things???

So I am finding creative meals to use the FD/Dehydrated, vacuum sealed foods in my storage.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

arbilad (04-14-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Recently I have been adding the liquid from canned corn to the instant mashed potatoes. The potatoes end up tasting a bit like corn, but both Hubby and I mix the corn into our mashed potatoes bite, by bite. The other night I added the liquid from canned green beans into the instant mashed potatoes. We were having pork steaks, thick cut, so we had gravy too (just can't waste the fat drippings). Those potatoes really tasted good. I'm not brave enough to serve up instant mashed potatoes with canned beet juice added!! BUT I do have two more cans of carrots slices. Think I will not only add the juice from them, but also the carrots after I whip them up with my hand blender,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 637 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

We bought a bunch of the breakfast Compleats. Nasty.

I like the Chicken Alfredo and Meatloaf the best. Swedish Meatballs were good too. The rest were okay. I buy a few here and there as pantry food, not long term.
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mirkwood View Post
    We bought a bunch of the breakfast Compleats. Nasty.

I like the Chicken Alfredo and Meatloaf the best. Swedish Meatballs were good too. The rest were okay. I buy a few here and there as pantry food, not long term.
    The dog next door won't eat the breakfast completes either! She thought she was getting a great treat, sat up and rolled over (this is an obese bull dog), she snorted up a bite full and promptly spit it out. Lord Love A Duck, the look on her face had me in stitches. Now when I am outside the same time she is, she snorts and turns her back on me.

Wait, there is a meatloaf one?? Tried the meatball sandwich one. Hubby wants way more sauce on it. The sloppy joe was okay. Love Alfredo sauce on nearly anything. Just wish it came in smaller jars for not twice/thrice the price. Hubby isn't fond of it, so one jar is like 4 servings for me. I have been buying spaghetti sauce in the jar when it is on sale. The only one that is watery and bland is Safeway/Safeway Select brand. Ragu, Rinaldi, Prego, Bertolli, Kroger. They are all pretty good. I won't buy Hunts anything. Way too much sugar, high fructose, etc. added. But now Hubby says that the others are too thin. It looks okay until he cuts (ahem, mashes is what it amounts too) the noodles all up and then ...QUOTE... The sauce all disappears...END QUOTE.

Well when he said, see take a look, everything was gone. Sauce, meat, extra celery/onions/mushrooms, noodles. I thought he was saying in a round about way that he really liked it and made it all disappear. BUT no, he really meant that the sauce disappeared. There was at least two quarts of leftover sauce, so I bought a large can (303) of tomato puree, added it plus a boat load of spices. Still it disappeared. SIGH ~ will just have to serve him disappearing spaghetti sauce I guess. Unless he wants tomato mud flavored like spaghetti sauce. BLEH

Looks like you like Western Family brand. Us too ~ when it is available. JC Thriftway Market is the only store to carry WF now. I don't like WF Peanut Butter. To us it tastes like 8 parts lard to 1/2 part peanut butter. Okay to use in cookie/cake receipts as a substitute for the shortening. When it comes to canned vegetables: Kroger, S&W, Santiam are the only brands I'll get.

Bought a #10 can of peas - either FD or dehydrated. Haven't even opened them up. Did the carrot dices. Those you have to cook to hydrate it! Got FD Asparagus. Woody & tough. I ended up dry blending it into powder and now add it to soup, stew, gravy and even added it to whole wheat home made soft bread sticks that I made with olive oil and savory herbs.

Is the WF Beef Stew as good as the Dinty Moore?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the WF Beef Stew as good as the Dinty Moore?

I mixed lots of stuff into them so I have no idea.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mirkwood For This Useful Post:

iggy (04-27-2016)