Thread: Lessons learned from storing foods

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not the only one NOT buying case lots of canned foods the last two years. Ever since I moved here originally in 1978. the stores have had case good lots the last week of October to Thanksgiving week. The first three weeks of October they handed out order forms. I almost always ordered around $250.00 worth. Vegetables, mushrooms, soups, etc. Then the last four years it has just been one store doing this, on a pre-order basis. I still have canned tomatoes, beets, pickled beets left from three years ago. The last hold out store quit this year.

The kitchen cut string beans are long gone and been replaced often with on sale cans. Neither of us likes the frozen string beans. They are just too squeeky on the teeth when you chew them. One of these days, the frozen kitchen cut style will be on a fantastic sale and I will buy a *boat* load, thaw them and then dehydrate them. THEN they will get vacuum sealed and become long term storage.

We canned soup eaters. In AZ it was Fred Meyer/Kroger brand soups. Hubby would only eat the Tomato w/Basil or Split Pea. I like pretty much all of the flavors. Then we moved back to Oregon and the Fred Meyer store here doesn't carry their own brand. So I got Hubby Progresso Tomato w/Basil, Hearty Tomato. He just doesn't like the chunks of tomato in the soup. Well I bought 24 cans - so I use my hand blender to puree the Hearty Tomato soup BEFORE I nuke it. I like the chunky tomato soup.

Just recently got WellYes by Campbell's. Chix and Noodles is good. Tomato Bisque is bland. Couldn't get enough salt in it, so tried crystallized lemon - that did it. The others are okay. Don't know if I will pay full price yet, (got digital coupons PLUS they had them on sale) but Fred Meyer's is the only store carrying more than Chix -n- Noodles and Tomato Bisque.
    I tried packaging up quick oats w/brown sugar for Hubby size servings. Where I went wrong was using sandwich bags. Should have vacuum sealed them. At least I only did a small container of quick oats. Hubby goes through phases of eating one item more than any other. For the last 6 months it has been Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls. NO bacon, he hates the bacon ones. Before that it was Jimmy Dean Breakfast Biscuits or Muffins. YUCK! To me those are the n a s t i e s t things ever invented. So the instant oatmeal has been set aside for now. I bought 24 boxes of them. Wonder how long they will store for??

I like them. They are a bit high in the carbs, but I adjust my insulin. At least they are low fat. Especially when you don't put milk on them. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I'd eat cooked oatmeal sans milk. But I ran out of milk one morning and already had cooked my oatmeal. Taught to NEVER, EVER toss out good food, I went ahead and ate it. It was good. Eating it without a side of well buttered toast, now that is still hard to do. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be drinking 1% milk - me who was raised on fresh milk, then whole milk, and of course Heavy Cream for cereals, fruit, cobblers.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

arbilad (11-18-2017)