Thread: Bulging can

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bulging can

Went into my long term storage cupboard to get a new #10 can of dehydrated onions, and the unopened can of Honey Cornbread Muffin is bulging! Both ends. IMG_0021.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPG The stripped of the label can is now on my back porch on the step with the ends pointed away from any house. Has this ever happened to any one? I bought this in 2013 - It has been kept in my large cupboard in my bedroom where is is cool and dry. None of the other cans are bulging. What do I do now? Pop a hole in the top, save the contents and send it back to Emergency Essentials???
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

This happened to me with a can of Muffin mix from Walton Feed. I contacted them, and what they told me is that the mix was still safe, but what happens sometimes is that the baking powder gets activated in a mix like that and starts bulging out the can. It's totally safe, but you should probably use it soon. You might need to add a little bit of baking powder because the stuff in the mix will be partly spent.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

arbilad, did you use it? If I did my calculations correctly, there is only three batches in the can. If you used yours then I will stab the can with a cleaned up screwdriver to release the pressure and repackage it.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I used mine, and it made some delicious muffins. It did taste of baking powder after I added a bit more but it wasn't bad.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'll give it a shot - tomorrow as today is nearly done. Don't know what is wrong with me, but I have been sleeping nearly all day since I got home from Church. [2:30 PM]

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

20 months later and I am browsing through the forum and see this. To report what I did way back then, I stabbed the can to release the pressure, but couldn't open it as the bulges were just too bulged out and the swing-away can opener wouldn't work. So I tossed the entire can into the trash.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

Earthling (12-18-2017)

Temporary visitor from another world Earthling's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been wondering all this time! ;-)
    The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Earthling For This Useful Post:

iggy (12-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 938 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

To me, a bulging can always means botulism (or something else I certainly wouldn't want to consume )... straight to the trash can in my book.
    But hey... maybe I'm just overly cautious.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.