Thread: First aid group buys?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you stay ready you never have to get ready
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First aid group buys?

Don't know about you, but I have been very disappointed with the quality of Chinese-made first aid supplies, especially dressings, pads, and bandages. Most of what is available on the retail market (Johnson and Johnson, Curad, etc.) is really trash. The good stuff just isn't at Target or China*Mart. A few years ago I did a group buy on Kendall bandages. It was a moderate success. I wouldn't mind doing it again. I just need to gauge interest before I front the money on a whole case of something.

Regardless of what you want, I can probably get it cheaper by the case. Then I'd part it out by unit and charge actual price for shipping.

Anyone interested in something like abd pads or sterile 4x4 dressings? As I mentioned, I did Kendal Kerlix rolls a few years back and it was a hit.
    "There is never a duel with truth. The truth always wins and we are not afraid of it, The truth is no coward. The truth does not need the law. The truth does not need the forces of government. The truth does not need Mr. Bryan. The truth is imperishable, eternal, and immortal and needs no human agency to support it. We are ready to tell the truth as we understand it and we do not fear all the truth that they can present as facts."

-Dudley Field Malone, at the Scopes Monkey Trial.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd be up for that. I've been thinking about beefing up my first aid supplies. Maybe you could even get a group price on SWAT-T tourniquets? In extremis I can use my belt, which has holes along the entire length of the belt, but I need it to hold up my pants.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arbilad For This Useful Post:

Aldon (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not a vender. I don't know if I could get a group buy price on tourniquets. One of my old mentors in a North American Rescue rep. I get my CAT tourniquets from him. I'm just not sure I could get a "friend price" for a whole board. FWIW I am a big fan of the CAT tourniquet. In my experience, it's the only tourniquet in which the user can easily reach complete occlusion with one hand.

At the last buy (four-yard Kerlix rolls) the next plan was to do Covidien dressings after that. That was about the time the ZC board imploded, so it never happened.
    "There is never a duel with truth. The truth always wins and we are not afraid of it, The truth is no coward. The truth does not need the law. The truth does not need the forces of government. The truth does not need Mr. Bryan. The truth is imperishable, eternal, and immortal and needs no human agency to support it. We are ready to tell the truth as we understand it and we do not fear all the truth that they can present as facts."

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be interested depending on what it is. I just restocked my IFAK and Trauma Bag with H&H wraps and gauze as its compressed and the actual packaging holds up better. So not sure what I would need and then based on Price.

Regarding TQ's: most people can't self aid & get complete occlusion with 1 TQ. The military advises 2 staged TQ's. I think the CAT is fine for an arm but does not do nearly so well on a Leg given the Poly Windlass. The SOF-T Wide does really well on a leg but given the size is more difficult on the arm to reach occlusion. It can be done, but its difficult.

It honestly depends on what your goal is. The fastest TQ on the market for SELF-AID is the RAT-T and it is easy to achieve full occlusion in seconds. I was able to remove from a pocket and fully apply with proper tension in less than 15 seconds. Now here's the challenge, IT HURTS. So fair warning. It'll keep you alive, but it won't be comfortable. I only have it for self-aid. The SWAT-T goes on quickly IF you are applying to someone else. It can be a challenge to do so if applying to yourself. But its a great 2nd line option and can also be used as a torso pressure bandage. I keep SWAT-T's alongside my SOF-T Wide, CAT's and RAT's.

Honestly the most important thing is to KNOW how to sue your gear. I bought an extra SWAT & RAT and used a sharpie to mark TRAINER and then bought a trainer CAT and SOF-T Wide. Then practice. Realize with the right injury you can bleed out in minutes, but you can lose consciousness in seconds. The faster you can get things going the better.
    The shine is off the apple.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did the Kerlix (Kendall/Covidien) buy because I can't abide Chinese-made dressings and bandages. Even the hospital I work at uses Chinese-made drek. I can't abide that for my own use. Who knows what's in it? I stock all of my kits, from my boo-boo kits to my trauma box with American-made dressings and bandages.

I was trying to do folks a favor by fronting the money and spearheading the buy. When I did Kerlix I got them shipped out to folks for less than China*Mart's website (and they're not available at their brick and mortar stores at all).

To make this work I would have to know what one item we wanted. Then I would search around until I could find a decent case lot price. I would part out the case and mail them out.

I have what I need, but not necessarily all that I want. That's why I wanted to go this, to share my experience and get folks some decent product. One moderate home accident can empty a first aid kit in a hurry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Smith For This Useful Post:

FixItGuy (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 938 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm way ahead of the curve on meds (antibiotics), but probably way behind on proper bandages and tourniquets.
    I'd be interested, but don't know what I should be looking for, so if you and/or others picked something that sounded good and I could afford it, I'd definitely be in on the group buy.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.