Planning to pick up two 5 gallon cans to store kerosene for oil lamp. Should last for a year. Here in Florida, even though we have several nights below freezing during the winter months, heating isn't really a big concern. We have a fairly large propane tank that we're keeping filled. With prudent use, it would probably sustain us for for cooking and canning for at least a year and a half, maybe more.

I have some cast iron camping kettles that I would use for cooking outdoors, and we are getting the material to make solar ovens and fireless cookers. I say "we" because we have a sort of "family compound" on this forty acres. Plenty of oak and pine trees here. We have quite a wood supply already cut up, and we could move into the "big house"' with its great fireplace if we had a prolonged cold snap. Today Chuck brought home a load of heavy plastic barrels--food grade--with the wonderful screw-type lids in which we can store grains, etc., and even bury them to keep them safe from confiscation or theft. He's going up to get another load of water barrels and some more of these in a few days. Also has an order in for a steel shipping container, at least 8 X 20 feet for underground storage. Could conceal it in small hillside. We're considering another larger one for a safety bunker.

We're also looking into building a gadget that will produce a light diesel from wood that will work in either our diesel truck or gas car. A friend had the device, but had given it to someone in the next county before he learned that we were interested in it. We're going over to look at it soon. Not a complicated device, and the friend's family used it to make their fuel during all of his years on his family farm near here. Also are planning on installing a windmill and waterpump soon. Irrigation is crucial this year. Wildfires all around us from drought and lightning strikes.