A word of caution: unless you are an expert in mycology, I don't think the food value of mushrooms is worth the risk...a mycology expert in a Vermont college died when one little amanita (death cup) was inadvertantly gathered with his day's finds. Here in Florida, a sister in my ward went for a walk the other day and found 3 different kinds of lovely mushrooms. Fortunately, she googled them before she prepared them...they were all poison. The only ones I ever cooked in Vermont were the morels. They are very distinctive, and come out only when apple trees are in bloom.

Now, wild foods are another matter. There should be some wild food foraging enthusiasts in most any area. I taught it for some time in Vermont. Even put on a lunch and demonstration at the hospital where I cooked, for an open house. For the most part, wild plants are richer in food value than the garden crops we grow.

It is useful to know that the inner bark (cambrian layer) of many hardwood trees were used as a breadstuff by Indians, and it is nice to know which roots, greens, berries, etc., are edible in a true survival situation.