Thread: Canned Bacon Grease?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Canned Bacon Grease?

I'm not a very experienced canner, but some of you who are might be able to help me with this question. Is it possible to safely can bacon grease? I got to thinking about it last night because we can buy already cooked, canned bacon, but bacon grease is so helpful in many recipies. I know it's not that healthful, but in an emergency, it would be like a comfort food to make other foods taste better. It's wonderful for cooking greens, making gravy for biscuits, flavoring green beans, etc. Has anyone done this or know if it is possible?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 646 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good question. I have no answer though.
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I had enough bacon grease to can, I think I'd do it just like I can butter. When you consider that oldtimers used to keep cured meat preserved in crocks of lard, I'm sure that there would be no danger in canning bacon fat.

Firepower is one carefully aimed shot Cowboy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

ummmm....do I smell bacon?
    Cowboy
    True faith requires action

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bump
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have a crock of grease that just sits in the fridge or on the counter and doesnt go rancid. I'm guessing that if you canned it, it would outlast the pyramids
    In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it? -Joseph Smith