JAMS AND JELLIES

Gooseberry Jam

5 pounds gooseberries
    4 pounds sugar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2 tablespoon cloves
    1/2 tablespoon allspice {each of these spices are to be ground}
    1 pint vinegar

Put vinegar, spices {in a sack}, and sugar on to cook; as soon as the syrup begins to boil, add fruit. Cook 3 hours slowly.
    Watermelon Preservers

Pare and cut in stripes the rind of ripe watermelon. Soak in salt water over night. Cook in fresh water the next morning until tender. Drain. Add equal weight of sugar and let stand again over night. Add one-half as much of water as sugar and cook until clear. For flavoring, add while cooking one sliced lemon and a few pieces of ginger root, or a stick cinnamon and white cloves. If a sweet pickle is desired, add one cup vinegar to a melon.
    Yellow Tomato Preserves

1 pound of yellow ripe tomatoes
    1 pound sugar
    2 ounces preserved canton ginger
    2 lemons

Cover tomatoes with boiling water and skins can easily be removed. Add sugar and let set over night. In the morning pour off the syrup and boil until quite thick. Skim off the foam, then add the tomatoes, ginger, and lemons, which have been sliced and bar boiled. Cook until tomatoes have clarified appearance.

Rhubarb Jam

7 cups rhubarb {cut in 1/2-inch pieces}
    4 cups sugar
    1/2 pound of candy orange slices, {cut in large pieces}

Add sugar to rhubarb and cook until sauce is thick. Add candy slices, and cook two to three minutes longer. Put into sterilized jars and cover with melted paraffin.

Beet Jelly

12 - 13 medium beets [peel and cut into small pieces]
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 pkg sure jell
    6 cups sugar
    Wash beets and peel, cut into small pieces. Grind and cover with water. Cook until tender strain through a jelly cloth. add lemon juice, sure jell, stir until dessolved. Put over high heat and stir until mixture boils hard. At once stir in 6 cups sugar, bring to a full rolling boil, boil hard 1 minute or until jelly sheets from spoon. Remove from heat skim off foam and pour into glasses cover with paraffin.

Spiced Grapes

7 pounds grapes
    5 pounds sugar
    2 tablespoons cinnamon
    2 tablespoons cloves
    2 tablespoons allspice
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 lemon, sliced thin
    3 oranges, sliced thin
    1/2 pint good vinegar

Use pulp only at this point, cook,Then put through grinder to remove the seeds. Now add the skins, sugar spices, fruits and vinegar and cook to the consistency of marmalade.

Elderberry Jelly

5 quarts elderberries
    2 lemons {Juice only}
    5 pounds sugar

Place berries in a saucepan and crush. Heat gently and simmer for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the juice in a jelly bag. Put the juice {about 3 cups}in a pan with the lemon juice. Add sugar and mix well. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 20 minutes. Test on a plate. If spoonful does not thicken in a few seconds, boil another 5 minutes. Pour into jelly glasses. use canning guide for processing

December Jam

3 pounds prunes
    3 pounds raisins
    3 oranges
    3 pounds sugar
    3/4 pounds nut meats if desired

Cook prunes and remove the seeds. Pour 2 cups of water over the seeds and let stand 1 hour.Strain. Combine this liquid with that in which prunes were cooked. Add prunes,seeded raisins, sugar and oranges which have been cut in thin slices. Cook 25 minutes. Add nut meats and cook 10 longer. This quantity makes 16 glasses, and provides an excellent filling for a cake, or sauce over ice cream.

Garfield Jam

4 pounds seeded plums
    4 pounds seeded peaches,peeled
    4 pounds light brown sugar
    1 pint vinegar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon cloves

Boil plums, peaches until tender very slow. Add brown sugar,vinegar,cinnamon, and cloves. Boil until thick, can and seal. This quantity makes about 5 pints.

Sunshine Strawberries and Cherry preserves

Use equal weight of sugar and fruit. Put fruit in the preserving kettle in layers, sprinkling sugar over layers. The fruit and the sugar should no be more than 4 inches deep. Place the kettle on the stove and heat slowly to the boiling point. When it begins to boil, skim carefully. Boil ten minutes, counting from the time the fruit begins to bubble. Pour the cooked fruit into platters, having it about 2 or 3 inches deep. Place the platters in a sunny window in an unused room for 3 to 4 days. or put fruit in a shallow pan, cover with a sheet of glass and set out of doors in a sunny place. The fruit will grow plump and the syrup will thicken almost to a jelly. Put the preserves, cold,into jars or glasses. Note!! if cherries are used, and not seeded, add 1 or 2 tablespoons water to each layer of sugar.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanx!I will add them to my database. I love jam!

Wheels Are Churnin'
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

One year we went out and picked currents in the hills nearby. I went to make jelly from them. I ended up with the best current syrup for flapjacks I ever made. I have no idea what went wrong. It was really good though and I didn't put enough up.

Abinadi
    Preparing with the spirit brings peace of mind. The spirit brings peace.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to start planning now for what kind of jams and jellies you will make later.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Has left the party
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did that with crab-apple jelly. It didn't thicken. We used it on pancakes, YUMMY!
    I also did it with plums...equally yummy.

Thanks for the recipes. I love to read recipes. My husband always says, then why don't you make all of them! Dream on sweetheart!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zucchini Jelly
    6 C peeled & shredded zucchini (seeds removed make a prettier jelly, but they can be left in)
    Boil for 10 minutes
    ADD: 6 C sugar; 1/2 C lemon juice; 1 C crushed pineapple
    Boil 6 minutes more.
    ADD: 2 3ounce package of orange jello.
    STIR well to blend.
    Put into jelly jars and seal with paraffin.

I made this and took two of the smaller around zucchini I sliced them with the rind on into very thin round slices and added them during the last 3 minutes of the 6 minute boil. Because they are so thin, they don't take long to cook. Gives the appearance of orange slices.

I also made this with Raspberry, strawberry, cherry, lime, and lemon jello. I had been given 50 pounds of zucchini - so I had to use it up and I had no freezer space (thus I couldn't make breads).
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last summer we discovered that we had a good big patch of wild fox grapes on our 11 acres. We picked enough for a double batch of jelly, not knowing if we'd like the flavor. It has a wonderful taste, and is red, about the color of strawberry jam.

My husband transplanted 8 plants against a fence nearer the house, and we are studying how we can cut paths through the brambles of the patch so we can pick several gallons for jelly and juice this year.