Thread: 12v LED lighting...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 12v LED lighting...

Is there any interest on this board for 12v LED lighting systems?

I'm offering some, built by me, on the "other forum" and thought I might make it available here as well. Should generally beat most anything on the market for efficiency, lumens per dollar, and heat management (thus lumen maintenance over time). A budget system that's a little rough around the edges but works.

Brandon

Zombie Defense Coordinator AKA Zombie Czar waif69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are they fixtures?
    As for me and my family, we choose liberty.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a budget kind

And the expensive kind...

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

price?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

First, the budget model... You can see the heatsink, there is a cooling fan underneath. Connected is a 12v connector that works with cars, you could plug this into any cigarette lighter outlet.

P4 STANDARD BUDGET 23$ P4 bin LED, 48 lumens/watt (worst case), 450 lumens, 19.21 lumens/$. I would prefer that people not buy these.
    Q5 STANDARD BUDGET 31$ Q5 bin LED, 63 lumens/watt (worst case), 580 lumens, 18.7 lumens/$. This model is about the same lumens per dollar, but is a full 30% more efficient at max drive. This is the recommended unit.

Comes with your choice of connector, Anderson power pole or a car adapter.

The orange tape you see is a special electrical tape that is far superior to regular electrical tape. Mostly used to fasten the driver to the unit. I may use hot glue too... This won't be used with models that use the dimmer below.

P4 DIMMING BUDGET 21$ (requires dimmer)
    Q5 DIMMING BUDGET 29$ (requires dimmer)

This is a sample of the dimmer, it'll have a knob like shown. I'll fit it, and the driver (must be paired) in a white box and make it look respectable, and safe. It won't cut the power completely, but you should get a full range dimming. The input must be your 12v source and your output must drive 1 to 3 LEDs in series (1 DIMMING BUDGET or 1-3 QUALITY SINGLES). I'd imagine in a tent, you'd mount your light on the roof and the dimmer at light switch level and run an extension cord with Anderson power pole connectors between the light and the dimmer. DIMMER $16 (does not include extension cord, they are available online).

With the dimmer you can hit efficiencies of over 100 lumens/watt. 130 is possible when real low with the Q5s.

Dimmer's connector to the 12v system can be an Anderson power pole or car adapter.

For those who are looking for more polish I have a passively cooled model.

There is only 1 LED in per unit. They get really really hot if you go above 350 mA or half the standard drive level. Not recommended. Only sold with the Q5 (nothing else makes sense). QUALITY SINGLE 18$

These require the dimmer to work. I can rig up a dimmer to only allow 350-400mA at full power so you don't have to worry about them overheating. I recommend buying them in 3s to get the most for your money.

These also focus the light in a tighter beam than the budget system, so you'll need to be careful about mounting them and getting light coverage to suit your wants and needs. Tighter beam can be good or bad depending on your needs.

Shipping will be 12$ per order, priority, insured, tracking, confirmation and it will be your responsibility to chase the courier if they fail to deliver. You should have all the tools to do this if required. Or you can pick it up at my residence (Salt Lake City, Utah). Utah residents will need to pay a 6.8% sales tax.

Please use 1A fuses on your 12v system to each light system.

Lights will come with a 30 day money back guarantee and a 1 year workmanship and parts guarantee. Fixed, replaced, or refunded at my discretion. These prices are only good for this group order. I will try and provide availability into the future, but small orders will require a premium as parts cost more in smaller quantities.

Summary,

P4 STANDARD BUDGET 23$
    Q5 STANDARD BUDGET 31$
    P4 DIMMING BUDGET 21$
    Q5 DIMMING BUDGET 29$
    DIMMER 16$
    QUALITY SINGLE 18$
    SHIPPING 12$

Sowing, daily sowing.
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever tried to take one of these thru airport security?

Just curious
    "Would somebody please do something!"