Thread: Prophetic Warning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Temporary visitor from another world Earthling's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Prophetic Warning

The subject of debt was covered again in General Conference this month. I picked up "we warned you - did you listen?" It has amazed me to look around at people I consider stalwarts who did not listen at all. A good friend of mine that was financially very well off used her home as a line of credit for whatever they wanted to buy (over 200K of debt). She said they could pay it off easily with their investments. Guess what? The investments totally died and he was laid off. He is already at retirement age so no future ability to earn much. Of course her husband thinks I am an "alarmist".

Picked up this quote in a Meridian article. : Just more than ten years ago President Hinckley challenged us in general priesthood meeting: ?I urge you, brethren, to look to the condition of your finances. I urge you to be modest in your expenditures; discipline yourselves in your purchases to avoid debt to the extent possible. Pay off debt as quickly as you can, and free yourselves from bondage? (October 1998 General Conference).

Wow. God gave us ten years to apply that counsel. In contrast, the people of Egypt (of whom President Hinckley spoke!) had only seven years.
    The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Earthling For This Useful Post:

Rand (10-04-2013)

Guardian of the Holy Grail signseeker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amen, earthling! Maybe cuz their delivery is not "strong" people sort of blow it off.
    Life's tough but it's tougher if you're stupid.

Wheels Are Churnin'
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

We're debt-free except for the mortgage, which has about 5 years left. We just have not been able to wipe it clean with the income we have, no matter how we've tried. Our preps situation is satisfactory since we've been continuously at it for 40 years. There have been some members we've tried to help on their way with preps but they don't seem to get it. I think they are adherents to the proposition that "The Lord will provide to the faithful", or may be even the "I'll come to your place if I need something" crowd (and there are more members in that camp than you might think).

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to still_waiting For This Useful Post:

ghostcat (10-05-2013), Gingersnap (10-07-2013), mirkwood (10-05-2013), Noahs ARK (10-04-2013), NoGreaterLove (10-05-2013), Rand (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

We got our house paid off a couple years ago and have been chopping away at the credit card debts we accrued after my husband became disabled. Slowly...and I mean slowly, we're getting there but it's going to take at least 2 more years. Gah.

We have a lot of home projects that have been put on hold (except for new windows which we really needed) until those bills are paid off.
    ~ Life is short. Eternity isn't ~

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noahs ARK For This Useful Post:

ghostcat (10-05-2013), Gingersnap (10-07-2013), mirkwood (10-05-2013), NoGreaterLove (10-05-2013), still_waiting (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 646 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

4 more years and the mortgage is paid off. About 1-2 and the last set of braces is paid off. Then we are completely debt free.
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mirkwood For This Useful Post:

DMGNUT (08-25-2016), ghostcat (10-05-2013), Gingersnap (10-07-2013), NoGreaterLove (10-05-2013), still_waiting (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My car is paid off. We are taking 1/3 of that payment to pay extra on two credit cards, and the last third goes to the food budget so we can buy a bit more for long term storage. Husband has inherited gas/oil/mineral rights on some land in CA. An oil company is drilling on it - when it comes in, he will get 6% of the money it makes. So, when the "Well Comes In", we are paying off the two credit cards, and then buying from 5 to 500 acres (depending on what we can get in this area) and building a home on it. We want enough land to grow our own food, and some animals for food. AND have enough land around us to buffer us from people.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iggy For This Useful Post:

ghostcat (10-05-2013), Gingersnap (10-07-2013), mirkwood (10-05-2013), NoGreaterLove (10-05-2013), still_waiting (05-15-2014)