Thread: Prophetic Warning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Temporary visitor from another world Earthling's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Prophetic Warning

The subject of debt was covered again in General Conference this month. I picked up "we warned you - did you listen?" It has amazed me to look around at people I consider stalwarts who did not listen at all. A good friend of mine that was financially very well off used her home as a line of credit for whatever they wanted to buy (over 200K of debt). She said they could pay it off easily with their investments. Guess what? The investments totally died and he was laid off. He is already at retirement age so no future ability to earn much. Of course her husband thinks I am an "alarmist".

Picked up this quote in a Meridian article. : Just more than ten years ago President Hinckley challenged us in general priesthood meeting: ?I urge you, brethren, to look to the condition of your finances. I urge you to be modest in your expenditures; discipline yourselves in your purchases to avoid debt to the extent possible. Pay off debt as quickly as you can, and free yourselves from bondage? (October 1998 General Conference).

Wow. God gave us ten years to apply that counsel. In contrast, the people of Egypt (of whom President Hinckley spoke!) had only seven years.
    The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Earthling For This Useful Post:

Rand (10-04-2013)