M E R I D I A N M A G A Z I N E

Victims of H1N1, and What They Learned
By Carolyn Nicolaysen

In a news cycle that suffers from attention deficits, some may ask with a yawn "Is that H1N1 thing still around?"

We no longer hear media reports about the World Health Organization or the Center For Disease Control, though they are still hard at work on the H1N1. News coverage has almost completely evaporated. We have returned to our complacent lifestyle and many now say, "That talk of pandemic was no big deal - why worry?"

The H1N1 virus is a big deal. As of Friday, June 19th, there have been 21,449 confirmed cases with 87 deaths in the United States. Cases continue to increase in the Northern Hemisphere even though summer weather is here and the virus should be dying off. It is not. Cases in the Southern Hemisphere are increasing at a rapid rate. To think this is a minor inconvenience is foolish.

One thing that became evident and frightening this week is that most states, and even Great Britain, are no longer even testing for the H1N1 virus. How can we possibly know how widespread it has become or how severe the illness, if we are not testing? The fact is, the H1N1 is still spreading human to human and it is not dying off, and that should have us on alert. If it mutates between now and the fall, it may be a very different virus by then.

Brigham Young said:

?I can see death, misery and want on the faces of this people. But some may say, ?I have faith the Lord will turn them away.? What ground have we to hope this? Have I any good reason to say to my Father in heaven, ?Fight my battles,? when He has given me the sword to wield, the arm and the brain that I can fight for myself? Can I ask Him to fight my battles and sit quietly down waiting for Him to do so? I cannot. I can pray the people to hearken to wisdom, to listen to counsel; but to ask God to do for me that which I can do for myself is preposterous to my mind.? (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses).

You need not be an alarmist to prepare against H1N1

Although a vaccine will be ready for human testing in July (using a new method for vaccine production), clearance to manufacture the vaccine will not be given until late August or early September. Vaccine made using the tried and true method will not be ready until December. I have recently read that one manufacturer claims they will have a vaccine ready by July. I do not understand this, since no human testing has occurred. As I hear more I will pass on the information on my blog, as I can update that quickly.

Three missionaries at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah were recently diagnosed with the H1N1 virus and another 17 tested positive for the type A flu virus and were being evaluated. Because of this, parents were asked not to bring missionaries to the center who show signs of illness. Families are now advised that missionaries are to be dropped off at the MTC curb and no visitors will be allowed into the MTC. Elder Richard G. Hinckley, Executive Director of the LDS Church Missionary Department, has announced that missionaries and staff at the center will be washing their hands more frequently, avoiding handshakes and hugging, and not playing basketball for the time being. The MTC has also been holding all missionaries an extra seven to 10 days, so the swine flu incubation period passes before they depart.

This is a prime example of the seriousness with which we should be preparing for the return of this virus. All these measures became necessary because of one person who visited the MTC after recently returning from an infected area abroad.

You may think 'no basketball' is strange, but it is brilliant! The virus is spread through bodily fluids from an infected person - a sneeze, cough, and yes, sweat. Remember this example should the flu resurface. This is why we are told a minimum of a six foot distance from someone who is contagious and avoiding contaminated surfaces are the only things that will protect us from catching the virus.

We cannot allow ourselves to be lured into a false sense of security. This virus may return in only two or three months. If it does, it may be more deadly than before. We have no way of knowing.

I have spent the past few weeks contacting some who experienced the swine flu this spring. What I learned is a very different picture than what we have heard from the media, and confirms that even in a mild form, we need to prepare to avoid the H1N1 flu.

Quarantines are no fun

A sister in Mexico was fortunate that the quarantine they experienced did not include a complete confinement to their home, so they were able to go outside and plant some flowers as an activity to break up the monotony. No one in their home became ill, and fortunately the quarantine only lasted a few days.

My friend in Texas had quite a different experience. Her young son became ill and was confined to a bedroom in an attempt to keep the rest of the family healthy. Once his fever went down and he was feeling well (but was actually still quite contagious), he wanted nothing to do with that bedroom. His siblings wanted to be with him, too, and it became quite a test of mom's will to continue the isolation.

In terms of suggestions for this situation, think about the resources you have at your disposal. On my blog I have recommended we all get email addresses and phone numbers for our friends and all our children's friends. In the case described above, the child could have been emailing or talking on the phone with friends from his bed. If you have a laptop and a second computer, your children can even communicate with each other within the same home. If you have walkie talkies in your grab-and-go kits, those could be used for healthy and ill children to play together, even when separated by a closed door. Prepare for those who are ill to become restless, and do all in their power to rejoin the family, even while they are still contagious.

Store shelves will empty quickly

We know this, but do not really appreciate what it means. In Mexico a woman who was quarantined realized she did not have a few items in her food storage that were essential ingredients. She went to the store to purchase those items before closing her family in, and the shelves were empty. You may think that can only happen in a poorer country and never in the United States or a wealthier nation. Have you tried to purchase N95 masks lately?

Several large chain pharmacy stores have been out of masks and one store in Southern California told a customer they would not have any for a month. There is a store close to my home in Northern California, who says the masks are sold out within hours of the shelves being restocked.

Several years ago there was a truckers strike and store shelves in California were nearly empty. When a crisis of any kind causes a shortage of trucks for the transport of goods, we see that paper products are the first to suffer. They weigh less and those who are paid by weight opt to transport heavier items. What does that mean? You should have plenty of TP, facial tissues, and paper plates stored ahead of a crisis - any crisis.

The symptoms of this flu can be severe

We have only been told about cases of the flu which resulted in death, or involved some dramatic circumstance, or the quarantine of a celebrity. Some in the media have said the H1N1 is "mild". The truth is, many have had extreme symptoms with this flu.

One woman I spoke with in Salem, Oregon described the H1N1 flu as the worst experience of her life. She told me of having the chills so bad that she laid in bed with the electric blanket on high and her teeth still chattering. Two days after being diagnosed she developed double pneumonia. A month after her symptoms first appeared, she is still compelled to take a nap each day and is not able to work or keep up with simple tasks around the house.

Another sister described her experience in very similar terms - the worst illness she has ever had. The flu affected her in a very different way. She had a severe headache for several days. She was confined to bed and barely had the strength to make it from the bed to the bathroom. For two days she was delirious and she also spent several weeks recovering her strength.

Another said, "I don't have any other health conditions, but have been unable to get out of bed for four days and still have a fever of 102 and difficulty breathing. I went to a doctor within hours of my first symptoms, but he had no Tamiflu to give me."

Family members need educating

If you are the primary caregiver, what happens when you become ill? Now is the time to educate your family.

A friend in Texas related how she became ill and her family managed the household very well. They fixed meals, did laundry and kept themselves amused. They left her alone and allowed her to get her rest. This was the problem. They left her almost totally alone! She was hoping to hear frequent questions, such as: "Mom are you thirsty?" Or, "Mom, are you taking your temperature?" Or, "Can I get you anything Mom?" She realized the hard way that her family had no clue about compassionate service. There were few meals brought into her, and no change of her bedding - nothing. It was humbling and frustrating.

A relative told me she was so ill she could barely make it from the bed to the bathroom. Her husband (no children at home) continued to go to work and she was left alone all day. No food, no drinks, no one to take her temperature and monitor her illness.

What would your family do? If you are an empty nester or a single adult, what would happen if you could not get out of bed? Now is the time to address these questions. Arrange with a family member or friend to become your caregiver. Teach your children what they should be doing for an adult who is ill.

Equip your family with resources. Make a list of daily chores. Teach them to cook quick and easy meals. Review with them the foods that are appropriate for someone who is ill. Review how to make a rehydration drink for a patient. Teach them how to disinfect surfaces and how to wash their hands. Be sure they know how to wash and dry clothes. If your children do not already possess these skills, they will need them to become confident and self reliant adults, so take time this summer to work on some new life skills.

Arrange with another adult to counsel with your family should you become ill. Have them call grandma or a friend who can remind them to bring you a popsicle or Jello so you don't become dehydrated. This important friend or mentor can also ask key questions such as: "What is mom's temperature?" "What has dad eaten today?" "Ask mom to weigh herself" Weight loss is an early sign of dehydration.

Prepare for the worst - pray for the best

Being quarantined with a serious illness like H1N1 will be hard enough without worrying about running out of food, medications, and simple things like paper products. Preparing now is the easy part. To be a caregiver or a patient will be the challenge. Hopefully these burdens will not be yours', but if they are - how much easier it will be to face such adversity with a full pantry, a well prepared household, and the assurance you did all you could to be totally ready for a pandemic.