DEALING WITH VIRUSES

Viruses do not contain the enzymes that are needed to live, so they need to have host cells. Those could be in a plant, or an animal or even a bacteria. Without a host, viruses die.

Many of the plants in this remedy are anti-virals ? others are also anti-bacterial and/or anti-fungal ? I?ve included a full list of easily forageable and cultivatable anti-viral and flu foe plants below.

I?ve taught you how to make fruit scrap vinegar (?Breaking it Down? Weedeater column in Arthur No. 32) and Molly Frances has talked about the uses of apple cider vinegar in past editions of print Arthur. If you have some of that around then use this as a base. If not , make some so you always have some on hand. Vinegar is so healthy and antiseptic, not to mention delicious, it behooves you to always have some around.

As per my conviction, I only include plants that are easily forageable, cultivated or available in any neighborhood store, urban or rural. This is a decent list but not an inclusive list. I encourage you to do more research around anti-virals and the listed plants.

ANTI-VIRALS

Aloe Vera?Wound healer extraordinaire that is also anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and when the juice is drunk, helps repair digestive track and soothes ulcers. Always have this plant or a leaf on hand.

Eucalyptus?You lucky Californians! The oil from this common weedy tree is also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It breaks up and expels mucous, relieves congestion and cools fevers.

Garlic?The ubiquitous garlic is antiseptic, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-fungal, immune-stimulating and anti-protozoan. Growing garlic is easy? try it!

Ginger ?Yummy and fairly easy to find, ginger is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, diaphoretic, anti-spasmodic, circulatory stimulant, anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory and more. Can also be used in baths to warm the body and promote sweating.

Lemon?Again this is a ?forageable? for the Californians? Lemon helps fight infections and stimulates immune system

Shiitakes - Easy to grow indoors. Investigate this!

Thyme?Chases mucus from the body. Thyme is antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-microbial.

Wildflower Honey ? In its original undiluted state, there is no shelf lfve for honey. If you don?t keep bees, or know someone who does, work on either of these relationships this season. Honey is anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory; it?s an immune stimulant; it?s anti-carcinogenic, a laxative, a cell regenerator, and it?s anti-fungal? etc.!

FLU FOES

Clove? Anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-microbial, bactericidal. Useful for infectious diseases and respiratory infections. This is something you pick up off a grocery shelf. Invaluable painkiller. I have used this on tooth and gun aches with huge relief.

Common Sage?wonderful for throat and upper respiratory infections.

Hyssop?This is most delicious as a tea. It relieves congestion, cough, sore throats and the constant beautiful blooms makes bees deliriously happy.

Juniper?Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic. Useful for upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, candida, salmonella, e. coli? Good to burn tby our dry toilets? Forageable.

Oregano?This common culinary herb is an anti-infectious agent and an immune stimulant. Who knew? Easy to grow too.

Peppermint?Fights infections, relieves congestion, clears sinuses ? yum-yum and so easy to grow.

Rosemary?Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic. Also for respiratory infections. I love to bathe with this plant. The steaming of this plant also helps relieve migraines. Forageable for you west coasters.

Walnut ?A bitter as heck blood cleanser, anti-inflammatory an anti-parasitic. Forageable.

Western Red Cedar ? Binds wounds, helps on clearing lungs, diarrhea and an antifungal. Forageable.

Wormwood?Here is my friend Artemesia again, though not the common weedy one. It?s her cultivated cousin of yore?. Wormwood is anti-malarial, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. In public gardens and therefore forageable with discretion.

From fruit-scrap vinegar article