Thread: I need experienced help, please!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I need experienced help, please!

I'm working steadily on preparedness and food storage; I already have a great supply of vegetables (canned, frozen, dehydrated), fruit, pasta, jelly, etc. But here's my problem--what's the best kind of meat? My husband and I loathe any kind of fish, including tuna. We eat mostly beef and ham. Is freeze-dried and dehydrated meat very good? How about canned meat? I'll have some meat in the freezer, of course, but I don't want to rely completely on an electrical appliance. If anyone has had experience with meat, could you please give me some advice? Thanks!

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Every year I try to can about 50-65 qts of meat. I buy 2 big (22+ lb) turkeys when they are on sale at Thanksgiving and can them in Jan after all the busy days are over. I can several pork roasts and hamburger when they go on sale (esp holidays: Memorial Day and July 4th.) We have friends who usually don't have room for all their deer meat, so I get a batch or two (7-14 jars) of meat from them. Then we rotate this during the year.

I also do 50-60 qts of soup. Again, when the meat goes on sale, esp in Jan-Mar when the carrots and potatoes are starting to get old and I know they're about to be too old. It means I'm canning something every month, usually 2-3X mo. But it means we have a good supply of meat and a steady source of convenience foods.

Then we buy 4 cases of tuna every summer when the local grocery store has a tent sale--that's 96 cans.

So depending on whether the qt goes to make one meal or two, I can have at least 4-5 meals week that have meat. That's plenty. The rest can be legumes, eggs or dairy based meals.

Firepower is one carefully aimed shot Cowboy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Costco has canned beef. It is great to make barbecue beef sandwiches or to put in anything. I have several cases.

Last edited by Cowboy; 10-06-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Cowboy
    True faith requires action

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 646 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I buy the canned chicken at Sam's Club and use it pretty often. I have some freeze dried meats in my storage as well. I have not tried them by themself, but have had pre made meals that included freeze dried meat and it has tasted fine. It is expensive though. I also have used meat flavored TVP with success. I have thought about doing home canned meat, but I don't currently have the space for jars so I have not looked at it seriously.
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

Guardian of the Holy Grail signseeker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

prairiemom- Can we have your soup recipe that you can? I need to do some "meals" in cans I think. Oh... that means using the pressure canner.

We use the canned chicken a ton, too. And I really like the canned ham, which is around the size of tuna cans. There was about a 2-month stint where my Wally World did not have the canned ham... I was like, "What the--!!" every time I went to the store. It's back now, though. If I have the canned ham, mayo and bread, I'm good. It's good for the split pea soup, too. And potato soup or whatever else...
    Life's tough but it's tougher if you're stupid.

Temporary visitor from another world Earthling's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Macey's has chicken on sale for $1.48 a lb for a 40 lb box = $59.20. I am going to get a box and pressure can it (pray for me - this is scary). I did pressure can 3 qts of beans a few weeks ago . . . so my canner is good to go - all checked by the extension service (it is old).