Thread: "After Armageddon" discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb "After Armageddon" discussion

Everyone please pardon me if this has already been discussed, but I saw "After Armageddon" last night and I'd love to hear your opinions on smart/stupid things the people did. I did get a few ideas from the program, such as using a hot car sitting in the sun to dehydrate food. But I loved picking out the mistakes these dodos made. Such as:

1. They had water in their home for several days after the crisis began, but failed to fill bathtub, buckets, glasses, etc.

2. Of course the interstates were impassable. Sideroads offer more route possibilities, including driving through a yard if necessary.

Anyhow, if you saw it and would like to talk about what you learned or laughed about, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I came into the show "After Armageddon" when the family was already on the road and found the dead guy in the blue Durango. Ten minutes into it I was pleading for their deaths due to sheer stupidity / Darwinism . When the wife shot the man in the warehouse she dropped the handgun in shock and they fled without the bad guy's weapon, etc. Sadly enough though, their overall weak pansy mindset is probably typical of the modern day liberal urbanite. Their kid was a brat as well.

I like the show "Armageddon Man" (History Channel) with former Recon Marine Rudy Reyes. It was a great show and I learned a lot. Finally there was a show with some useful survival info not commonly known. Reyes is the real deal and is featured in the book Generation Kill and HBO series of the same title about his USMC Recon unit's part in the invasion of Iraq. Reyes is hard and intense but also seems to be a good, intelligent, articulate dude. I look forward to the next episode.
    There's a stone for every Goliath

Patiently Waiting..... mgriffith's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw it and was rather pleased. Although there were lots of "boo-boos" in the film, overall it was what I would consider pretty accurate. Yeah, the family did some stupid things, and they survived only by pure luck, but I thought it presented the problem as best you could in two hours and with so many variables.

The biggest problem in an emergency like that is water. Not where to get it, but how to make it drinkable. A good portable water filter will be much more valuable that a case of Evian. In most environments, except for the desert, you can find water, but it's quality will be questionable, and you don't want to get sick as that will be very bad under those conditions.

Storing water is not a good answer because you simply can't store enough for long term survival. I have 4, 55 gal. drums of water stored in the basement for a total of 220 gals. That would be enough for myself and the wife for a little over six months if we were both on 2 quarts a day.....a very very small amount. Three months if we did the more normal 1 gal. per person per day. But if we had the children and grandchildren to worry about too, that would be enough for less then a month. I also built a roof collection system where I can gather an unlimited amount as long as it rains. One good rain will fill up all the water barrels on the property, and that will give me over 500 gals. which is renewable.

In a bug out situation, you just can't carry enough. Water is very heavy for the space it takes up, and a good filter is far more valuable.

I would never travel on any main road in a situation like that. You are just asking to get "checked out" by anyone that comes along. Here's a hint.....if you're on the road and a car comes, and stops before they get to you and sits there, they are trying to determine if you are a threat. If the car goes past you, stops, and they get out, they have already determined that they want whatever you have. This is not always true, but it seems to be so in most cases. I would travel by night if there is a good moon, and use the RR tracks as no one would be using them anymore, and no one is watching them.

Just my two cents.

Mark

Zombie Defense Coordinator AKA Zombie Czar waif69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

What Channel was this on?
    As for me and my family, we choose liberty.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think it was the History Channel.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it was History Channel. Last week was Armageddon Week for some reason and they focused on 2012, Nostradoofus and other doom scenarios. Per the History Channel the show "After Armageddon" isnt reshowing any time soon but "Apocalypse Man" (I had it wrong on the earlier post - I had it as "Armageddon Man") with Rudy Reyes airs again on Tuesday January 19 @ 11p EST and Wednesday January 20 @ 3a EST.
    There's a stone for every Goliath

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 646 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea I came into it in the middle about where sarge did and had the same thoughts.
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.