I saw it and was rather pleased. Although there were lots of "boo-boos" in the film, overall it was what I would consider pretty accurate. Yeah, the family did some stupid things, and they survived only by pure luck, but I thought it presented the problem as best you could in two hours and with so many variables.

The biggest problem in an emergency like that is water. Not where to get it, but how to make it drinkable. A good portable water filter will be much more valuable that a case of Evian. In most environments, except for the desert, you can find water, but it's quality will be questionable, and you don't want to get sick as that will be very bad under those conditions.

Storing water is not a good answer because you simply can't store enough for long term survival. I have 4, 55 gal. drums of water stored in the basement for a total of 220 gals. That would be enough for myself and the wife for a little over six months if we were both on 2 quarts a day.....a very very small amount. Three months if we did the more normal 1 gal. per person per day. But if we had the children and grandchildren to worry about too, that would be enough for less then a month. I also built a roof collection system where I can gather an unlimited amount as long as it rains. One good rain will fill up all the water barrels on the property, and that will give me over 500 gals. which is renewable.

In a bug out situation, you just can't carry enough. Water is very heavy for the space it takes up, and a good filter is far more valuable.

I would never travel on any main road in a situation like that. You are just asking to get "checked out" by anyone that comes along. Here's a hint.....if you're on the road and a car comes, and stops before they get to you and sits there, they are trying to determine if you are a threat. If the car goes past you, stops, and they get out, they have already determined that they want whatever you have. This is not always true, but it seems to be so in most cases. I would travel by night if there is a good moon, and use the RR tracks as no one would be using them anymore, and no one is watching them.

Just my two cents.

Mark