PDA

View Full Version : What's your Dec. prep goal?

Noahs ARK
11-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm ordering my Berkey water filter this month. Spent quite a bit of time on their website last night and I think I've decided on the Imperial model.

I'm following Julie's thread about Glenn Beck - I need to buy 4 cans of soup per person. Hubby loves the Chunky Soups, so I guess that's what I'll get.

I also want to go over my Master List - see if anything has slipped thru the cracks.

Other than that, I'll just continue collecting water in empty plastic jugs & storing it in the crawlspace.

Speaking of the crawlspace, I need to get down there with some Dry-Lock and give the cement a couple of coats. Blech.

I went wild in November and my checkbook needs a break this month, especially with Christmas on the horizon.

What's YOUR prep goal?

signseeker
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Where's Julie's Glenn Beck thread?

I have most of my C-mas baking done and in the freezer. That would be C-mas cookies and brownies and goodies to set out on C-mas day. I need to make a big pan of enchiladas or lasagna so that's put away and ready, too. We're having breakfast at Denny's per our new most wonderful tradition. :w00t:

I want to get all the C-mas shopping done and wrapped by several days before C-mas this year. HATE the C-mas Eve all nighter. :thumbdown:

Re-do my bug-out bag. Way overdo.

Noahs ARK
11-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Good for you getting the baking done! LOVE your new breakfast tradition. :001_cool:

http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10261 - Part I
http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10309 - Part II

In fact, I need to save these links.

My Christmas shopping is DONE, but it's pretty easy for us cuz everyone lives in different states. Internet shopping is sooooo easy.:sneaky2:

phylm
12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
For December: More pest control items--D-Con, wasp spray (primarily as a defensive weapon), ant and roach spray, Deet, flying insect spray, and good old-fashioned fly tapes--living a mile from my husband's cow manure supply does have its drawbacks!

Noahs ARK
12-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I went a little bit nutz today....Food Lion had bags of chocolate chips, white chips, chocolate chunks & butterscotch chips on sale. 2 bags for $3.

Don't ask how much I got, cuz I ain't gonna tell!! :o16:

4evermama
12-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Pest control should be at the top of everyone's list.
When sanitation goes...so come the rats.

Come on, Noah's Ark, tell us your secrets.
You may find that you are not alone in your endeavors. :001_cool:

Earthling
12-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi, my name is Earthling and I store chocolate . . . lots of chocolate. Last good chocolate chip sale I bought xx cases . . . wish I had bought more since I haven't seen them close to that cheap again and it was a premo brand. I am down to x cases . . . :blush5:

Noahs ARK
12-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Hi, my name is Earthling and I store chocolate . . . lots of chocolate. Last good chocolate chip sale I bought xx cases . . . wish I had bought more since I haven't seen them close to that cheap again and it was a premo brand. I am down to x cases . . . :blush5:

Hi, my name is Noah and I store (hoard?) chocolate, too.

Just yesterday I ordered three 25-lb boxes of chocolate from Hersheys. Two boxes of assorted mini bars and one box of kisses.

*sigh*

I just love when I stock up on FUN stuff!! :l0 (21):

Noahs ARK
12-05-2010, 02:44 AM

You and phylm make a good point. I think I have 2 boxes of rat poison and 2 packages of mouse traps. That's it.

**putting on my December list**

phylm
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, a PS for me, too. A trip to Sam's Club for nuts--pecans are usually on sale this time of year, and some more paper products, choc. chips are 2/$3 at Sav-a-Lot this week, and hubby says we'd better start canning more meat again. Still getting the 10 lbs. of chicken legs and thighs for $4.80 or $4.90. They are regularly for sale at WalMart for $5.90 for 10 lbs.

I just used a quart of canned chicken yesterday when the compassionate service leader called me after noon (I think she must have struck out on earlier calls!) to see if I could take supper to a new mother. Yep. Did my ol' faithful chicken/broccoli/rice and cheese casserole. It is really good storage food.

ghostcat
12-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Hi!
My name is ghostcat and I am a chocolate addict. It is apparently imposable for chocolate to reach any longevity in my vicinity!!:l0 (59):

Earthling
12-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Just got batteries at Costco. They have a coupon out for them right now. I also made an inventory of the various areas you need to have preps for and listed what I have. That is when I also made note of what is needed to use them i.e. fuel, batteries, etc.

mirkwood
12-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Get a cat.

mirkwood
12-07-2010, 06:25 AM

Hey chocoholics. How much you going to pay me to tell you where she keeps her stash?

4evermama
12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Get a cat.

I have a cat.
Need to get a better cat.
Perhaps the alligator-cat needs a new home.

Noahs ARK
12-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Get a cat.

Pffft - I have 9 cats and have they EVER caught a mouse? No!

Worthless is what they are....worthless, I say!! :d0 (67):

phylm
12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
LOL!!!!!

4evermama
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I know.
My cat just sits and watches the birds and her only contact with a mouse...well, let's just say that the mouse won.

I think I'll I just stick to poison and traps.

Years ago, I had two cats that came from a long line of dairy farm feline.
Now those were great hunters.
Our current kitty is definately a lover, not a fighter.

4evermama
12-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Does anyone have this type of sprout tray?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TS9RB4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ABLGC7A7PQST1

I was thinking of putting this on my list for Dec/Jan preps.
Seems to make good sense re: drainage and would save counter space compared to the flat tray models.

libertygranny
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't watch the home shopping shows, but tonight while flipping through channels QVC had a really good special for mini LED flashlights: 12 in assorted colors w/batteries, carabiners and gift boxes for $19.91 + s/h. We ordered 2 sets to have enough to give to our kids, son in laws and grandkids for Christmas. I figured they can attach the flashlights to their emergency backpacks. Even though we all have a regular size one in our packs, I thought the little ones would still be a good idea to have on hand.

4evermama
12-08-2010, 03:26 AM
My FatherInLaw shops QVC and got flashlights that resemble your description. Everyone picked a color for their backpacks. The kids love them and I like that they are small, bright and have a cord.

If they are the same ones, you got a great deal.

mirkwood
12-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Pffft - I have 9 cats and have they EVER caught a mouse? No!

Worthless is what they are....worthless, I say!! :d0 (67):

You can be banned you know. :l0 (61):

mirkwood
12-08-2010, 06:33 AM
LOL!!!!!

So can you!!! :l0 (44):

Noahs ARK
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TS9RB4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ABLGC7A7PQST1

Seems to make good sense re: drainage and would save counter space compared to the flat tray models.

I haven't made sprouts in years, but think I'll get working on it in the Spring. Along with cheese. :shocked:

phylm
12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
So can you!!! :l0 (44):

:l0 (58):

signseeker
12-09-2010, 06:57 AM

How big is it? It looks about 3" wide, like a salt shaker. :l0 (6): My mom had one like that - it was about 10" diameter circle. Worked great. I think I found one like that at the DI a while back. I wonder where it is... :glare:

Aldon
12-09-2010, 11:28 AM
My goal for Decemeber is new shotgun870 or maybe Savage 220 F, rifle rem 260 or 308 short rifle, and much more ammo. It is great when my Hobby and Preperations coincide:)

phylm
12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I haven't made sprouts in years, but think I'll get working on it in the Spring. Along with cheese. :shocked:

I find that a quart jar with a piece of cheesecloth over the mouth, held by a big rubber band, works well. I learned the hard way not to put more than a tablespoon of seeds into it, especially if there is a lot alfalfa in it! I rinse and drain it once a day, and keep it on its side.

BackBlast
12-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi, my name is Noah and I store (hoard?) chocolate, too.

Just yesterday I ordered three 25-lb boxes of chocolate from Hersheys. Two boxes of assorted mini bars and one box of kisses.

*sigh*

I just love when I stock up on FUN stuff!! :l0 (21):

All this chocolate talk makes me think of the chocolate bunny factory song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1ip96WmyY

phylm
01-01-2011, 08:13 PM
If you have all your storage in place, they would be handy, but here's a money-saver.

In a quart jar--canning, mayo or peanut butter jar--place 1 teaspoon of mixed sprouting seeds (less, if using alfalfa alone), put a small piece of cheese cloth over the top, and fasten with a large rubber band or string. Fill jar with lukewarm water, and let soak a few hours. Drain out water, refill with lukewarm water, and drain again. Roll jar to spread the seeds around the sides. Leave jar on its side on counter, or in another warm place. Give it a half turn every so often.

Refill with the warm water every day, and repeat.

Start another jar every two days, and you'll have a constant supply of sprouts.