PDA

View Full Version : White Wheat...some places to get it

Charsee
04-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Some people are very concerned about getting white wheat and since the church isn't carrying it much anymore (until the next crop) there has been something of a food panic in some of the canneries.

I know that the Sandy cannery got 15 pallets of wheat last week and it was gone by the next morning.

Some people are running out and buying buckets of the white wheat for $40 or $50 dollars (Macey's stores in some places.) There is no reason to be doing this!

Lehi Roller Mills has White Wheat and some kind of a sale going on. $27.50 per bucket.

Costco sometimes gets it into their Sandy and Lehi stores and some other stores up north ($20 for a bucket.)

Honeyville has white wheat for $23 for 50 lbs if you pick it up at their warehouse in Salt Lake (and they have 1 dollar off on all their beans until the 19th because of their grand opening at their retail store there.)

Cami Watt (801-361-1135) [email protected] ([email protected]) sells Idaho wheat in buckets for $19.50 for 45 lbs bucket and she delivers to Utah.

Nelson's Seed in American Falls (208 226-5171) is selling their wheat for $16.00 for 50 lbs and they will put the wheat in buckets, I heard they also deliver to Utah.

Ririe feed in Ririe Idaho (208 538-6712). I heard it was $12.50 for 50 pounds.

Walton Feed has had so many orders lately that they have put a moritorium (sp) on any new orders particularly for wheat for a while until they catch up a little.

Of course if you want regular red wheat you may be able to get it from your cannery or order it through the internet if you live far enough away to need to pay for shipping.

mirkwood
04-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Good post. No need to panic buy at those prices. Shop around. The Murray cannery told me that they keep getting it in, they just don't know when or how much.

Charsee
04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Honeyville doesn't have any white wheat in today but they should get more on Friday...but you should call first just to make sure.

bokbadok
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Interesting that the white wheat is in so much demand. Anyone know why that is? It's the hard white, right?

arbilad
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been told that the hard white wheat makes a less brittle bread than the hard red wheat.

mirkwood
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
That is what I heard too.

arbilad
04-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I think that the red wheat has slightly greater protein.

mirkwood
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I've heard that too!

Charsee
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Some people say they have to add more wheat gluten to make a good tasting bread with the red. Others say that they like the taste of white better because the flavor is more mild and it tends to rise a little better. Others say red wheat tastes more "nutty." I haven't made bread myself for a long time so I am personally no expert.

I don't think the difference would be worth $20-30 for 50 lbs. but then what do I know?...

prairiemom
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Protein content is determined more by hardness than color. This info is from the book The Breadmakers:

There are two colors of wheat: White and red [actually there is a new golden variety that I just tried, it has a very mellow flavor and is almost as light as white wheat] Red produces a darker flour with a stronger flavor than white. It also produces more gluten (the stretchy proteins that make bread fluffy and light) than white.

There are two types of of each color: hard and soft. Hard has more protein that stretches into longer strands, so it is perfect for bread. Soft has less protein making it perfect for baked goods where you don't want sponginess or a stretchy dough, like cakes, cookies and pies.

Each wheat has two growing seasons: Winter and Spring. 75% of wheat is winter wheat. Winter wheat tends to have more more minerals but less protein than it's spring counterpart.

So when you buy wheat you ask for it by hard/soft, white/red and winter/spring. What variety you get depends on what you are using it for.

For baking you will want a soft white, winter or spring.

For breads you will want a hard red, probably spring (though winter is more available and won't make a huge difference in your bread.) If your family objects to the distinctive flavor of whole wheat, you might want to start with hard white spring wheat. If you are new to bread-making, a hard red spring wheat will make it easier for you to make lighter, fluffier bread (because it's higher in protein.)

Or--to solve both the problem of flavor and learning to make a fluffy bread, start with 50% hard red wheat flour and 50% bread flour from the store and gradually decrease the amount of store flour as you master breadmaking and your family adjusts to the flavor of whole wheat.

Charsee
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Lehi Roller Mills had the white wheat but not the red today.
Honeyville has the red but not the white.

crazyknitter
04-11-2008, 08:02 AM
I believe that Montana Wheat has white wheat still. Don't quote me, yet.:001_005:

Charsee
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
People are still panic buying wheat. I heard of $45 dollars bulk off the pallet yesterday for white wheat.

If you are paniced and MUST buy yours now, why not the providen living wheat?

The wheat on provident living cost $21.00 for a case.

A case contains 33 pounds of wheat. (5.5 lbs X 6 cans)

The cans, lids, absorbers and the box it comes in (and perhaps two plastic lids?) would cost 5.43 if you bought them at the cannery.

That means you are paying 15.57 for the 33 pounds of wheat.

That is about .47 cents a pound or 23.59 dollars for 50 lbs. This is still cheaper than Honeyville or Lehi Roller Mills when you take into account that you still have to store their wheat in something. However, the quality of wheat may differ (that is always a big debate.)

The other thing is that you save the money and time to pick it up (can it yourself) since they deliver it to your door I believe. It is still a much cheaper to get it from the cannery yourself!...

I would not recommend this to my friends...the price of wheat has been coming down in the "markets" I understand and should get cheaper when the new crops come in. The "panic" should end (at least long enough to buy your year supply) and I would recommend making a couple of appointments (since many canneries are booked already into the summer) at the cannery and trying to get the grain from the canneries as it becomes available. I would get things that haven't gone sky high such as legumes, sugar (on sale), oils, rice (if you can find it), or work on your three month+ supply (watch for sales). All of these things should be highly barterable if other people only have wheat. But that is just my opinion FWIW.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Charsee
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
To order through distribution services:

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&productId=11151&langId=-1

Price list for cannery:

http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/109157_HomeStorageOrderForm22Mar082208US_pdf.pdf

Charsee
05-02-2008, 07:39 PM
On Monday white wheat was $39.99 at Macey's in Orem, here are some cheaper sources for white wheat

White wheat in Utah County ordering ends tonight (May 2) don't have to pay yet just give information.
Wheat will be there in a little over a week
Call 798-0304 Ms. Martinez
$21 for 50 pounds or $29.50 for 45 pound bucket

Walton Feed may be taking orders again!