PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of religion does not include...

prairiemom
12-23-2010, 09:47 AM
religion which is intolerant of the beliefs of others."

In case you haven't read it, you really should read HSLDA's lead article in their Nov/Dec magazine. It details the latest round of attacks on homeschooling. Right now the attacks are academic (i.e. being published in scholarly and law journals) but that means you can expect that they will be legislative and judicial within the next 3-5 yrs.

The newest argument against hsing is that it does not teach a tolerance for all religions and lifestyles and this is detrimental to the children and our society. Some have proposed a state imposed curiculum or program for all schools (public, private or hs) teaching diversity and tolerance. Some have said this is one reason that

"public education should be mandatory and universal. Parental expressive interests could supplement but never supplant the public institution where the basic and fundamental lesson would be taught and experienced by all American children: we must struggle together to define ourselves both as a collective and as individuals." (Italics in the original)

Another quote from the anti's:

"...parental control over children's basic education flows from the state (rather than vice versa). States delegate power over children's basic education to parents, and the delegation itself is necessarily subject to constitutional constraints."

We need to be alert to these ideas, especially if they start taking root in the minds of our state legislators. This is where the battles will begin. We must be cultivating good relationships with our lawmakers, but more importantly, work together to hold them accountable (responsive) to us.

I know we all know this but we have a moral obligation to be involved--ACTIVELY involved--all the time. And even if we weren't moved by our moral obligation, surely protecting our children from the state should motivate us. Our politicians interpret the least lack of attention to the process as a sign that we approve of what they are doing.

For most of us a new state legislative session begins in a couple wks. Are you ready?

prairiemom
12-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's a link (http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/V26N6/V26N601.asp) to the article.

Toni
12-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Sometimes, I just wish everything would hurry up and fall apart, that those orchestrating all of this would quickly fall into their own pit, so all of this slavery would fall by the wayside.

trublubyu
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
That is so satanic. And they shall call evil good....

GAMom
12-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Since we homeschool - I really appreciate your posting this article and the link. I have been concerned about our ability to continue homeschooling since before this president became elected. His ideas on education - taking care of kids education from the cradle through college - made it know that he was not a supporter of homeschool education. After all - why should parents know what is best for their children? He would take the opportunity out of the hands of the parents to mold and educate their children and place it in the governments hands - where he thinks it ought to rest. Odd how opposite that idea is to what God would have us do. Yep - really odd!

Toni
01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
So many times, I have been glad that my kids are nearly raised. By the time they force all the kids to go to brainwashing school, if the actually succeed, mine will hopefully be too old to participate. However, I would like to think that God will help the parents who are still raising children, that their children will be able to learn light and truth instead of the opposite that is so prevalent.

Can one really legislate darkness and make it a requirement in our lives?

sunsinger
01-01-2011, 07:17 PM
S

Can one really legislate darkness and make it a requirement in our lives?

Haven't they already done this?

Toni
01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Haven't they already done this?

Sigh. You're right.