View Full Version : What's your January prep goal?

Noahs ARK
12-30-2010, 10:47 PM
This month I'm getting my crawlspace finished. I don't know why I keep putting it off, but it's time to get 'er done.

I need to paint the cement with Dry Lock, let it dry and then start storing more water down there. This isn't drinking water...it's water that I add to empty litter, bleach & detergent containers. Add a little bleach and forget about it since we won't be drinking it.

THEN I'm going to sit down & decide what I need to buy in #2.5 cans and work out a reasonable purchase plan.

That's it. :blink:

arbilad
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I should be getting my royal berkey this month.

Noahs ARK
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I should be getting my royal berkey this month.

Are you getting the one with 2 or 4 filters?

Also...are you getting any of the replacement parts they offer? That's where I got confused, so I held off on ordering anything other than the Berkey with the 4 filters.

Help!! Do we need any of the other stuff?

Aldon
01-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I ended up with Rifle and lots of reloading gear for December.

And restocked food storage with condiments, brown sugar and some other necessities...in bulk:)

Wife asked for and received pasta making machine, and it is awesome.

Still need a shotgun. At this spending rate, I will have to consider it annual prep goals. LOL

signseeker
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Read the D&C one time.

Lose 5 pounds.

Do not yell at the kids.

arbilad
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I ordered the one with two filters, and I'll probably add the flouride filters later.

Noahs ARK
01-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I see that EE is now selling oat groats - I'll be ordering some of those.

I went over my Master List with a fine-toothed comb. Do you know I have NO celery? How in the world did I miss that? :blink:

phylm
01-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Really must fill available gas cans, plus get gasoline stablizer. Hubby bought chainsaw bar oil, etc. last month. Also buy two or more extra kerosene cans and fill them. I want to be able to keep my oil lamps and lanterns going for awile.

Going to Sam's Club soon to top off vitamin and health products, TP, Kitchen Bouquet (as soon as I re-inventory) and add to the luxury shelf with chocolate chips, pecans and walnuts. Might add to the Crisco shelf, but not as urgent, as we know how to render lard...wild boars or home grown porkers.

Noahs ARK
01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Also buy two or more extra kerosene cans and fill them. I want to be able to keep my oil lamps and lanterns going for awile.

What kind of kerosene lamps do you have? I don't have any yet, but they're on my list. I need sturdy ones - I worry that my cats will brush against them and knock 'em over.

4evermama
01-02-2011, 12:07 AM
I see that EE is now selling oat groats - I'll be ordering some of those. Very cool! I buy mine in bulk. Kids love it.
Do you know I have NO celery? Dried celery is a must around here. Use it 5-6 days a week!

Going over the list this weekend to decide what to focus on.
Hub and the kids a doing their Hunter's Ed. class for the next four weeks.....I already know what that means....cha-ching!

We're topping off and canning ground beef this week. It's one of my husband's fave things to do.

It's funny, we gave home-canned goods to family and friends for Christmas and I found myself choked up a bit as I looked at the stacked empty boxes.
We planned well for the gifts and made plenty, but I can tell you this, giving away items that require so much time and so many hands, sure brings to surface what it really means to "share with others, our treasured things".

Noahs ARK
01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
We planned well for the gifts and made plenty, but I can tell you this, giving away items that require so much time and so many hands, sure brings to surface what it really means to "share with others, our treasured things".

Ohhh - I remember making cases & cases of jams, jellies & preserves to give out at Christmas. Then after all the work I just wanted to throw myself across the cases and scream "Nooooooooooo! They're MineMineMine". :l0 (63):

Question re: the oat groats in bulk....I was thinking of getting them in bulk vs the #10 cans cuz it is cheaper, BUT I'm the only one that would be eating them. I can't stand wasting anything and having the bulk go bad would kill me.

Whatcha think - cans or bulk?

P.S. I've never even tried the dried celery! Mushrooms I go thru like crazy - I don't even bother putting them on my Master List cuz they disappear too fast. Same with green beans.

4evermama
01-02-2011, 12:29 AM
If you are the only person who eats it, then #10 would be fine. We use a lot of groats (and steel cut for that matter), so for us it would be a waste to open that many cans.

I know what you mean about "Mine!Mine!Mine!"

I want to try using dried mushrooms more, Hubby loves fresh so I haven't switched over yet.

Noahs ARK
01-02-2011, 12:45 AM
If you are the only person who eats it, then #10 would be fine. We use a lot of groats (and steel cut for that matter), so for us it would be a waste to open that many cans.

I know what you mean about "Mine!Mine!Mine!"

I want to try using dried mushrooms more, Hubby loves fresh so I haven't switched over yet.

Thanks. That's what I think, too.

Ok - what's the difference between the oat groats & steel cut oats? I used to buy McCann's steel cut oatmeal and loved it.

The mushrooms from EE are absolutely delicious. They're white & firm. I've been known to eat them right out of the can.

If you add them to something like spaghetti sauce, you'll never know they aren't fresh as long as you don't overcook them.

I even sautee them in butter (without rehydrating). They plump up beautifully.

Now that I think about it, I'd better order more. I can't live w/o them. :l0 (20):

4evermama
01-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Oat groats are the whole oats. They look similar to every other grain. Steel cut are just cut oats....instead of rolled.
We cook oat groats/steel cut oats in our rice cooker....My family prefers the texture to that of tradional rolled oats.
You can buy the whole groats and then roll them yourself if you need them for oatmeals or other recipes.

The longer that a grain remains in tact, the longer the shelf life and the longer the nutrients are maintained.

I have a grain roller and it rolls just about everything...even flax seed. It's a great way to use different grains in breakfast cereals or in cookies or bread.

I'm going to have to try the mushrooms.

Noahs ARK
01-02-2011, 02:23 AM
Oat groats are the whole oats. They look similar to every other grain. Steel cut are just cut oats....instead of rolled.
We cook oat groats/steel cut oats in our rice cooker....My family prefers the texture to that of tradional rolled oats.

OK - so I definitely want the oat groats.

I have a Vita-Mix that has 2 blenders - one for wet & one for dry. The blade in the "dry" blender is what I use for my wheat kernels, so I guess it would work the same for the oat groats. Althooooooo...I have had my eye on a grain roller in EE. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FP%20M510_A_name_E_Marga%20Roll er%20Grain%20Mill

Thanks for all your help. I do believe I'm ready to place my order. :redface (2):

4evermama
01-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Yep, that's the one that I have. Got mine at Bob's Red Mill.

Have fun!

Abrahamswife
01-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks. That's what I think, too.

Ok - what's the difference between the oat groats & steel cut oats? I used to buy McCann's steel cut oatmeal and loved it.

The mushrooms from EE are absolutely delicious. They're white & firm. I've been known to eat them right out of the can.

If you add them to something like spaghetti sauce, you'll never know they aren't fresh as long as you don't overcook them.

I even sautee them in butter (without rehydrating). They plump up beautifully.

Now that I think about it, I'd better order more. I can't live w/o them. :l0 (20):

Try the freeze dried ones from Shelf Reliance instead of dehydrated- you will be amazed. The freeze dried celery is bright green and kinda crunchy- WAY better!

If anyone wants discount price on Shelf Reliance let me know.

Abrahamswife
01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Try my mix of cereal, everyone loves it.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:TargetScreenSize>800x600</o:TargetScreenSize> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} </style> <![endif]--> Cindy’s Mix hot cereal (similar to DEE’s Cereal)
Mixed grain;
Equal parts of; Barley, millet, oat groats, Brown Rice, rye (4cup each)
Equal parts of: popcorn, adzuki beans, buckwheat, lentils (1 cup each)
Wheat (6 cups)
All combined above makes a nine grain mix for cereal. Can be kept in a bucket or jars until ready to crack. No need to refrigerate at this point.
Grind 8 cups of the above in a cracker/roller on #2 setting
If you have the above mix without wheat then mix 5 cups first two parts of mix with 3 cups wheat. Then grind.
Mix with your hands in a large bowl.
Add;
Craisins ½ cup
Raisins ½ cup
Banana chips, ground ½ cup
Almonds, ground ½ cup
Shredded Coconut ½ cup
Flax, ground ½ cup
Sesame seeds ½ cup
Sunflower seeds ½ cup
Mix everything with your hands and store in a #10 can, bag, or jars in the freezer or refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make; Boil 2 cups water then add 1 cup of mix. Simmer, stirring constantly, until water is absorbed. Cover pot and turn off heat. Let sit about 10-15 minutes. Serve with milk and sweetener of choice if desired.

Noahs ARK
01-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Our local Dollar Store had spices and canned nuts on sale. Stocked up on all my favorite spices and cans of mixed nuts, cashews & almonds.

Our Rite-Aid had vitamins & supplements on sale - Buy1/Get1. Stocked up on all sorts of goodies. The expiration dates were 2014, so I was thrilled.

Waiting for my Berkey to arrive. Can't wait to get it set-up. :l0 (2):

Not getting much accomplished in my crawlspace. :l0 (13):

sarge712
01-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Inventory and rotate.

phylm
01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
What kind of kerosene lamps do you have? I don't have any yet, but they're on my list. I need sturdy ones - I worry that my cats will brush against them and knock 'em over.

I have gotten mine at WalMart (don't think they carry them now) and other department stores over the years. Picked up my latest one a couple of months ago in a Publix supermarket.

If you're worried about cats knocking them over, it might be a good idea to go with the nice lanterns now on the market. Also, could devise some way of tying wire around lamps to keep them safe.
Phylm

Noahs ARK
01-12-2011, 06:20 PM
If you're worried about cats knocking them over, it might be a good idea to go with the nice lanterns now on the market. Also, could devise some way of tying wire around lamps to keep them safe.
Phylm

I had some many years ago and think I got them at Walmart.

Found some hanging lanterns in the Lehman's catalog - I think those would be perfect. Decorative & functional at the same time.

LoudmouthMormon
01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
If all goes well, I'll be able to confirm aquired immunity to hep b this month. If it doesn't I'll have to start the series of shots over.

Partial protection from bloodborne pathogens - that's prepping, right?

Baconator
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
A few rounds of pistol and rifle ammo (1500 or so).
Some new products I haven't tried from the Ready Store.
A couple of unused prescriptions for antibiotics filled and stashed.
A few impulse purchases (mason jar sealer for the foodsaver, etc)

GAMom
01-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I need to get more hamburger meat when it's on sale at Sam's Club and can it, I'm getting low on it & we use a lot of it on a regular basis. Also need to can more of the other meats, - chicken, stew beef, etc. That and I'm continuing to buy TP when I go to Sam's Club - one large pack per trip to the store. Also need more charcoal from Sam's.

prairiemom
01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Well, I SHOULD be doing inventory and canning turkey and roast beef.

But I'm instead I'm knee deep in political stuff. I had a meeting on Tuesday with our county organization, I've been asked to speak to a homeschool group on Saturday in a town about 290 mi away and I am the chief coordinator for a BIG political rally to be held in the state capitol on Monday (the 17th) which is 180 mi away. Then on Wed (the 19th) I'm teaching a preparedness class at a community adult ed group. That town is about 90 mi away.

The rally is a big deal--I've been "coordinating" it with about 10 other political groups. I say "coordinating" but actually the bulk has fallen to me. I've done radio and newspaper interviews, put out a press release today, issued invitations to our elected officials, worked on a 25pg booklet (almost done!) that everyone is going to get, arranged for posters, buttons, door prizes, literature, etc. We expect 200-300 people to attend.

So in these 2 wks I'll be putting on about 1200 mi and teaching or conducting 4 meetings/classes (only one of which is Preparedness related.)

But it's good...laying the foundation for positive political change. More freedom. We need that.

Noahs ARK
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Yippee - my 2 cases of Oat Groats from Emerg Essentials arrived today.

Added it to my Master List and then swiped 1 can of it to try out tomorrow morning.

**Happy Dance**

Got my catalogs and free samples from Abrahamswife - the Shelf Reliance food is GOOD stuff. I loved the strawberries. Am busy circling items in the catalog. :l0 (46): Hubby is going --> :frown2:

Earthling
01-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Can & freeze chicken - got 14 pints done today

Noahs ARK
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
WooHoo ~ what a great day!

My Imperial Berkey water filter arrived!!!! I bought 2 extra filters, 2 sets of fluoride filters & a glass water sight for viewing water level.

It's filled with water and is doing the trial run, which gets rid of the dust, etc - the water is really murky coming on, so we may do 2 runs.

Also received an order from Vermont Country Store - apple cider jelly, german potato salad, pickled brussel sprouts, bavarian sauerkraut and a few other fun things.

:party:

4evermama
01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
My Imperial Berkey water filter arrived!!!! I bought 2 extra filters, 2 sets of fluoride filters & a glass water sight for viewing water level.

Also received an order from Vermont Country Store - apple cider jelly, german potato salad, pickled brussel sprouts, bavarian sauerkraut and a few other fun things.

Holy Smokes, Batman!

I sooooo envy your doorstep!

Noahs ARK
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Holy Smokes, Batman!

I sooooo envy your doorstep!

This husband of mine sure knows how to keep me happy!! He learned a long time ago that the way to my heart is giving me cordless drills, sanders, water filters, rain barrels, knives, guns & ammo and enough stored food to feed an army. :rofl:

This morning he announced "Time for MRE's" .... oh well - that just about put me over the edge. I doubt I'll sleep for the next 2 nights cuz my brain will be whirling at the thought of finally having MRE's.

Love this man!!

mirkwood
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
This morning he announced "Time for MRE's" .... oh well - that just about put me over the edge. I doubt I'll sleep for the next 2 nights cuz my brain will be whirling at the thought of finally having MRE's.

Just remember that MRE's don't have a long shelf life when thinking of your long term storage and plan the amount you purchase accordingly.

4evermama
01-14-2011, 09:14 PM
This husband of mine sure knows how to keep me happy!!
Love this man!!

That's why the Lord gives us eternity, baby.
Hold on to the good ones FOREVER!

We rotate MRE's on campouts with the kids and scouts.
They LOVE it.

phylm
01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I need to get more hamburger meat when it's on sale at Sam's Club and can it, I'm getting low on it & we use a lot of it on a regular basis. Also need to can more of the other meats, - chicken, stew beef, etc. That and I'm continuing to buy TP when I go to Sam's Club - one large pack per trip to the store. Also need more charcoal from Sam's.

Was going to buy 3 ten pound bags of chicken legs/thighs for 43 cents a pound today. Got to checkout and clerk said that we could have another bag for $2.00 if we took a whole box--40 lbs., so a-canning we will go on Monday. (Husband is going on temple trip with the youth tomorrow.) I'm staying home nursing a "sprained" hip, and babysitting the Shih Tzu.

Want to add to our canned hamburg, pork and chuck beef soon.

4evermama
01-14-2011, 10:22 PM
That's a great price on chicken. Best we've seen is 47 cents for boneless, skinless thighs.

Take care of that hip and have a blast canning.
(no pun intended)

Noahs ARK
01-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm staying home nursing a "sprained" hip, and babysitting the Shih Tzu.

What did you do to your hip? Hope you're behaving yourself and getting some rest.

That's a great deal on the chicken - happy canning!!

How's your new storage room working out?

phylm
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
What did you do to your hip? Hope you're behaving yourself and getting some rest.

That's a great deal on the chicken - happy canning!!

How's your new storage room working out?

Don't know what happened with the hip. I stood up the other evening and nearly fell on my face. The pain was excruciating in whole thigh. Hubby got me his walker (left over from knee surgery) and I hobbled with that. Walked as little as possible the next day, and realized the pain was coming from the hip. Dispensed with the walker the next day, and am getting around gingerly now. Go figure.

Yes, I haven't seen 43 cents in a long time. We have two smaller supermarkets in this area that have these 10 pound deals every 3 or 4 weeks...45 to 47 cents. What a blessing.

We put the box of chicken in the new storage room to keep until Monday. Our fine Florida temps have been in the low 20 degrees nights for about a month, so our stuff is still in cold storage! Haven't had to run the AC in it, anyway! I am so happy with that room. A huge pantry just 2 steps from my back door.

By the way, we had ADT security put in last week. Includes the storage room, so whenever one of us goes into it, in the house a voice intones: "Storage door." When the warm weather returns, we'll have to plan on fewer trips out there.

Noahs ARK
01-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Huh. I hope your hip will be okay. We don't need to be slowed down, do we?

We have ADT and I love it. No matter what door or window opens, the alarm system announces it and I know exactly which one it is. Glad you got that for added security.

Noahs ARK
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm sure you'll all be glad to know that I finally got down in my crawlspace. I removed all the black plastic that was on the cement for the past 1+ year. We were told it had to stay there to help it cure or something like that.

Anyhoo - the black plastic is gone. Six trips from the crawlspace to the curb.

I now have fans down there. In a day or two, I'll check to make sure there's no damp areas and then I'll get busy with the DryLoc. :20:

The Imperial Berkey water filter is doing great. I learned the hard way to NOT keep the bottom and top both filled at the same time. Knew I should've read those instructions from beginning to end. :rolleyes (2):

Phylm ~ hope your hip is doing better!!