PDA

View Full Version : On Food Storage

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Interesting article:

On Food Storage

March spring flooding has all but wiped out wheat crops in Arkansas, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri...Much of the remaining U.S. wheat has been pre-sold to foreign countries

April 5, 2008
North Star Talk Radio

Recent news stories have alluded to the possibility of famine in America in 2008 and I believe we may be headed down that road. In all the news reports I?ve seen, this year?s wheat crop is pretty much destroyed worldwide. Agriculture experts and economists are following worldwide weather trends and crop damage and it?s not looking good.

AP News has been reporting that the March 2008 spring flooding has all but eradicated Arkansas' spring wheat crop and Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri all are reporting similar conditions. Much of the remaining U.S. wheat crop has been pre-sold to foreign countries, therefore it will be domestic supplies that run out first. In fact, wheat reserves in the United States are at their lowest levels since the Depression. Although initially price controls will keep the prices of breads, cereals and other wheat-based products stable, eventually, prices will have to rise in order to keep these industries afloat.

Rain & hail storms in Thailand, Pakistan, and the Middle East are threatening or have already destroyed this years wheat crop. And that is from this mornings newswires. While dry weather in India, the world's second largest wheat producer, has contributed to global supply tightness. India's grain-belt has been stricken with long periods of drought since December, threatening roughly half the country's 2.8 billion bushel crop. "They're stuck in that (dry) pattern. The damage isn't done yet, but it will be done if we stay in this pattern for the next two or three weeks," Jason Ward, analyst with Northstar Commodity in Minneapolis said.

U.S. wheat stockpiles have thinned as bad weather has battered crop after crop around the world, most recently in Argentina and India. The scarcity has fed seemingly relentless demand for wheat supplies, often at any cost. U.S. wheat exporters have sold more than 15 million bushels a week for seven of the last 11 weeks, well above the U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly target of about 1 million bushels a week.

The United Nations News is reporting that a new fungus has been discovered in Uganda and the Middle East that is spreading and is also having a serious impact on wheat yields in affected countries.

The food shortage is so bad in Haiti that people are eating mud cookies. Yes, cookies made from dried yellow dirt from the country?s central plateau and some people can?t afford to make those because unless they can make the trip to get the dirt they can?t make the mud to make the cookies. Crazy huh? I can?t make this stuff up - Google Haitians Eating Dirt and read the story on ABC News or any of the other agencies reporting it.

We take our food for granted and we?re all just one season away from a major famine or terrorist threat. And wheat isn?t the only thing that?s scarce. Corn for food is scarce because farmers are growing Genetically-Modified crops for ethanol production and GMO corn for ethanol isn?t edible. Or at least is doesn?t taste good.

Since October 2006, 35% of the Western honey bee population - billions of bees - has disappeared in the United States. It?s called Colony Collapse Disorder and by the end of 2007 reports of similar occurrences have flooded in from many other countries. It is thought to be related to certain microscopic ticks attaching themselves to the honey bees or genetically modified crops - experts can?t seem to agree on anything except that the bees are gone. While this has already started a rise in honey prices, and seriously affecting my Mead production, the actual impact of the honey bee decimation will be catastrophic. Honey bees are needed to pollinate more than 30% of the crops in the United States. Without pollination, fruit and vegetables don?t grow. Major crop producers are already seeing the impact on their crops and prices will rise as the honey bee decimation continues.

Couple all of this with rising fuel & transportation costs and crops being grown for uses other than eating and we?re in a crisis that we may not be able to recover from.

So what do you do?

You start by making a list. How many people do you need to feed? What do you need to feed them? Choose foods that make sense for your family. If you store 100 pounds of wheat berries do you even know what to do with them? Will your family eat them? Our motto is ?Store what you eat, eat what you store and store 6 months to one year?s worth MINIMUM.?

Your main storage items will be what are called ?staples?. This includes flour, sugar, salt, yeast, water and canned goods. These items are bought in the bags you get at the grocery or if you buy in bulk they?re in large 25-50 pound bags. We repackage these items in buckets with Gamma lids which allow us to upon and close the buckets easily. You can get buckets free sometimes by contacting local restaurants & bakeries. Wash with hot soapy water, rinse with some bleach water and let them dry in the sun which also helps to kill germs.

Do you have a bread machine? They?re crazy inexpensive now and a breeze to use. Buy flour and ingredients when they?re on sale. Bread is cheaper to make at home and tastes a thousand times better. At a $1.39 a loaf and up you can literally make it for pennies. You can also make pizza dough, breakfast rolls, etc. And once you find out how much you love fresh breads learn how to do it by hand in case the power goes out and you can?t use your bread machine. Everything that the machine does you can do by hand. You can bake on a gas grill or in your woodstove or even in a bonfire if you have the right tools.

Shop the sales. Each week when you get the store ads check out what?s on special and stock up on it if it?s a great price. If you?ve made your list then you know what your family eats. I keep receipts and keep track of what items like ketchup, mayonnaise, soup, and cereal costs. When it?s on sale I can see what I paid last time and if it?s a deal I?ll stock up and get extras. You should always put a stock-up buffer in your grocery budget. That way if there?s a huge deal then make it worthwhile.

Where are you going to put all this stuff? If you have a pantry or closet then great but cases of canned food stack easy and you can rotate the stuff into your cupboards. You can store cases under beds, under your desk, in a garage, up against a wall covered with a table cloth. I?ve had several tables made out of stacked buckets of sugar, salt & flour topped with a round piece of wood and covered with a table cloth. It was some of the most useful furniture I ever had. One of the main things to remember is keep your food in a cool, dry place if you can. It?ll extend the shelf-life. Make room for your own food supply or you?ll be standing in food lines waiting for government bread, government cheese, soup, milk and toilet paper.

If you can afford it, buy a freezer. We got our upright used. Occasionally you may have to have it repaired but it?s worth the investment when prices are high. Chest freezers work best but they?re hard to search through if you have a large variety of items. Uprights are easier to inventory. Buy meats in bulk and break them down into smaller packages or if the butcher department has a sale, have them wrap it for you in individually packed sizes like one or two pounds per pack. It?s no extra charge and saves you from having to buy paper and tape. I always stop by that department first, tell them what I need like 20 pounds of ground beef in 1 pound packs and I tell them I?ll come back for it. They?ll remember you and appreciate that you gave them the extra time and you can use it to go stock your cart with other sale items & groceries.

Work you meals around what?s on sale and what you have on hand. Be flexible.

Locally we shop at a place called Cash-N-Carry which supplies small restaurants and stores but they allow regular people to shop there. Not everything is a great deal but have you really paid attention to the pricing in Costco and the other huge stores? Sometimes you actually pay more than in the grocery store. Pay attention, map everything out on paper and bring a calculator. I forget mine half the time and if you see me in the bulk aisle talking out loud trying to do math in the air then you?ll definitely remember to bring your own calculator.

And grow your own fruit and veggies. Some of you may remember Victory Gardens although a lot of you are too young but they were also called War Gardens or Food Gardens for Defense. It was a way of feeding families while being able to ship food to our fighting men and women overseas. Families were encouraged to plant gardens in their yards and share & swap with neighbors.

You don?t need a big yard, heck you don?t even need a yard as long as you can put dirt in containers. Lettuce grows in 15 days in little shallow trays only 1.5-2? deep. I usually have several growing at a time and if you clip the lettuce instead of pulling it then it keeps growing. You can do carrots in flower pots if you get the little ones. Tomatoes, peppers, even cucumbers and beans have bush-types that you can grow in pots right on your porch or in pots in bright windows.

Consider getting heirloom seeds. These are seeds that if you save them from the fruit of vegetable you can replant them and grow them again next season. Most seeds nowadays are one time use. If you save the seeds and replant them you probably won?t get anything and you may not even get the same kind of plant because of all the cross breeding. I buy heirloom whenever possible.

Grow herbs on your counter tops in little pots. Put plants in every window. Teach the kids how to water them. If you have a deck you can plant dwarf fruit trees in pots and bring them in during the winter.

If you get a lot of something you can freeze it, can it or dry it. Freezing and drying are the easier of the three.

Sprouts are really cool, easy to grow and packed with vitamins and minerals. They only take a couple days to get enough for eating, they?re cheap considering how much food you get and they taste great. Mung bean sprouts are great for stir frys. I add alfalfa and sprout blends like broccoli & radish sprouts to sandwiches and for an easy snack try a Triscuit or whole grain cracker with a slice of cheddar cheese topped with some sprouts. Microwave for about 30 second and you have a decent snack or even a quick meal.

If you live in an area where you can raise chickens then do it. They?re easy, their fun and they?re adorable. You don?t have to eat the chickens if you can?t but they?re worth it too. You can always have someone butcher them for you. They eat tons of bugs, their waste is good for the compost and you don?t need a rooster to get eggs unless you also want baby chickens. Check out www.backyardchickens.com for more information.

And what about your pets? I have two black labs and I have seen their dog food rise from $5.96 for a 25 pound bag to $7.50 in just 2 weeks and I have a feeling it?s going to go up from their. Remember that most pet foods use wheat & corn along with the usually meat by-products. And the cost of trucking this food around has gone up as well. If it goes on sale then buy extra. Since it?s not cheaper to buy the 50 pound bag then I?ll just keep buying the 25 pound bags. Rotate it like you would your regular food and keep it in it?s bag. You can store 3 - 4 bags in a 30-55gal trash can with a lid to keep pests out. Keep it in a garage or basement and get out one bag at a time. Consider supplementing your pet?s dry food with leftover rice, meat & vegetables. I don?t condone feeding them table scraps willy-nilly but the good stuff is good for them, too and it?ll help stretch out their dog food and cut on waste.

I?m going to stray from food here for a few minutes and let you know that there are other things you need to store which we?ll cover in other shows but if you?re going to all this length to do this much then you should also shop the sales on other items.

Food isn?t the only thing you should store. We have buckets with Strike-Anywhere Matches, pens & pencils. Paper products like toilet paper, etc. It?s an old joke to stock up on toilet paper but think about how much you?ll be hating life if you didn?t have any to use. What about deodorants, toothpaste, razors and shaving cream. Have you seen the prices jumping up? Women?s products also need to be stored if you have girls & women in your household.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/NorthStarXO/blog/2008/04/05/April-5-2008-Show-On-Food-Storage

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
For growing vegetables, I just finished a great resource: "Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times" by Steve Solomon

He discusses the realities of actually eating from the garden, when a crop failure means hunger instead of "oh well I'll try again next year." Highly recommended.

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
As for the pet issue, our family recently traded in a couple of resource consuming cats for a flock of food producing chickens. In hard times, animals need to be contributing to the welfare of the family -- if they're not earning their keep, you may want to consider getting rid of them. Personally, I am not at all interested in storing a year's supply of cat food.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Good point, though keeping a cat around for rodent control might be a good idea. Personally I don't mind storing a year supply for our cat. I'm planning on getting another one this summer.

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh I kept one. :) But I figure she can eat rodents if things go south. Dogs otoh, are more dependent on humans.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, one of the common themes I have heard in disasters is that dog owners eventually turn them loose to fend for themselves. They often form packs that must now be dealt with as you would a pack of coyotes. If hungry enough they will attack humans.

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Great. One more reason to have a gun in the house. They'll probably eat my cat!

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Yes they would. That nasty auto your little chick has ought to do the trick!!!

Cowboy
04-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I might eat your cat. I love Chinese food!

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 12:52 PM
So back to the wheat supply claims this radio article makes: pretty grim. I just read about the ug-99 Rust that has spread from Africa to Iran, and could easily be blown clear to China if the winds are just wrong. Was that on this site?

Anyway. I have a hard time sifting through information and judging what is reality and what is hype. I know that so far, the wheat in Idaho is doing just fine. My point being that there are places where the crop is doing ok.

I vacillate between the knee jerk "it can't really be that bad" and the grim "the prophesied famine/pestilences are upon us". I have a year's supply of staples. What if the famine lasts longer than a year?

And let's be realistic: if there is truly a food shortage in the world, I highly doubt that the U.S. is going to suffer like the poorer nations will. People who are on the edge of poverty in Egypt, India, China, etc, will fall over the line into true starvation, while the U.S. will likely just grumble while we pay ever higher prices. Doesn't that seem more likely than exporting all the domestic wheat?

I don't know what to think, honestly.

arbilad
04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I've often thought that the Lord said to have a year's supply because that gives you enough time to get going growing your own food. We used to be advised to store 2 year's worth. Anyway, a year's supply is going to be enough to get you growing your own food, so even if you need more than a year's worth of food, a year's supply will help you stay alive and make the transition.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 01:51 PM
bok I've heard enough about wheat shortages from people in the business (cannery workers don't count) that make me believe there is a problem. I don't think it is quite as bad as we are perceiving...yet...because there is a lot of panic buying with the wheat right now.

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree that there's a problem. I googled out a report on worldwide wheat supplies and forcasts recently too see for myself. But how big is the problem? Are we really on the precipice of a worldwide food shortage? Or are people reporting the worst possible scenario? That's the question I'm unsure of.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I guess I look at what the prophets have been saying over the last few years and it indicates to me that we are on the precipice. I know there are more wards & stakes pushing preparedness now then I have ever seen. It is more now then even this time last year. More people (members and non-members alike), more bishops, more stake presidents are feeling like hard times are around the corner. I feel that way myself. I suspect a lot of people on this site (and others) feel the same sense of urgency. I don't think we can discount what I believe to be the whisperings of the spirit.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
The conference talks are carefully thought out and planned. How we can interpret these statements any other way is beyond me.

April Conference 2007 Highlights

Bishop Keith B. McMullin
Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric

We call upon priesthood bearers to store sufficient so that you and your family can weather the vicissitudes of life.

"Hearken, O ye people of my church. . . . Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together. . . .
"Prepare ye, prepare ye for that which is to come, for the Lord is nigh."
The doctrine of the Second Coming of the Messiah provides one of the great incentives to prepare and live right. Heavenly Father knows that promised rewards encourage His children to do works of righteousness and promised penalties create a dread of doing evil. Such are the revelations pertaining to the Second Coming of our Lord.
These revelations speak of signs and wonders on earth and in the heavens. They point to troublesome times and pending events vast in scope and duration. And most important, we receive these supernal promises:
"The Lord shall have power over his saints, and shall reign in their midst."
"Through my providence, notwithstanding the tribulation which shall descend upon you, . . . the church may stand independent above all other creatures beneath the celestial world."
And "if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."
Priesthood bearers are led by these promises to prepare themselves and their families for the Lord's appearing. There is no need to be anxious about events leading up to the Second Coming. Let us instead be filled with gratitude for our understanding of what lies ahead. Let us appreciate that we are in charge of our own world, being the Lord's agents over that which He has entrusted to us. The formula is simple: Be faithful. Unencumber your life. Lay up in store.
Be faithful. As priesthood bearers, we cultivate a gentle touch and kindly word. We are men who pray, who keep the Sabbath day holy, and who know the word of God. We tithe, fast, and give a generous fast offering. We keep our covenants and consecrate our lives to the building up of God's kingdom.
And, brethren, we lay up in store! By doing these things, "the Lord shall have power over his saints, and shall reign in [our] midst."
Unencumber your life. As men of God, we turn from excess to that which edifies, for "that which doth not edify is not of God."10 If dealings or involvements or pursuits or schedules detract from putting God first, we must pare back and unencumber our lives. If we have debts, we pay them and live debt free to the extent possible.
And, brethren, we lay up in store! Then, "through [the Lord's] providence, notwithstanding the tribulation . . . the church [and its people will] stand independent."12
Lay up in store. Wives are instrumental in this work, but they need husbands who lead out in family preparedness. Children need parents who instill in them this righteous tradition. They will then do likewise with their children, and their stores will not fail.
A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life. Remember these words from Paul: "If any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."Seated before us are the three presiding high priests who constitute the First Presidency of the Church.
From President James E. Faust, Second Counselor, we hear: "Every father and mother are the family's storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency . . . [and] God will sustain us through our trials."From President Thomas S. Monson, First Counselor, we hear: "Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their year's supply of food . . . and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year's supply of debt and are food-free."From President Gordon B. Hinckley, the Lord's prophet, we hear:
"The best place to have some food set aside is within our homes. . . .
"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week's food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. . . . I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all."Begin in a small way, . . . and gradually build toward a reasonable objective."
Inspired preparation rests on the foundation of faith in Jesus Christ, obedience, and a provident lifestyle. Members should not go to extremes, but they should begin. We call upon priesthood bearers to store sufficient so that you and your family can weather the vicissitudes of life. Please see to it that those entrusted to your watchcare receive these two pamphlets entitled All Is Safely Gathered In. Exhort them to prepare now for rainy days ahead.Priesthood leaders, enlist the Relief Society in promoting family preparedness and homemaking. The women of the Church need your backing and will respond to your leadership.
Encourage our members to regularly put into their home storage a few wholesome, basic food items and some water that is safe to drink. They should save some money, if only a few coins each week. This modest approach will soon enable them to have several months' reserve. Over time they can expand these modest efforts into a longer-term supply by adding such essentials as grains, legumes, and other staples that will keep them alive in case they do not have anything else to eat.
As we do our very best, we can be confident that "the barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail." We shall enjoy greater wisdom, security, peace of mind, and personal well-being. We shall be prepared, and because we are prepared, we "shall not fear."In closing, I introduce to you the Luca and Patrizia Vaccarono family. They live in a small town near Rome, Italy. In a recent letter, they wrote:
"We decided after some experience that it is important to store the items we use. Sometimes we have to modify our habits in eating certain kinds of foods. . . .
"The feeling of peace and the desire to be faithful to the commandment given by the Lord through the modern prophet helps us feel the Holy Spirit, . . . to not be afraid, and to see that the signs of the time for the Second Coming of the Lord is a blessing and not something to fear. We rejoice in it. . . . It gives us the motivation to be faithful and endure to the end and to be saved and obtain eternal life."20
As a final thought, Brother Vaccarono writes: "I'm sorry for my English. I hope you understand what I tried to explain to you." Brother and Sister Vaccarono, we understand, for it is written in scripture: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."21 In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder David A. Bednar
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

The basic lessons I learned about temporal self-reliance and provident living while picking and canning produce have blessed me throughout my life.
President Boyd K. Packer
Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

That revelation begins, "In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation" (D&C 89:4).

Bishop H. David Burton
Presiding Bishop

If these old walls could talk, they would remind us of the bleak, dark days of the Great Depression. They would recall the April 1936 general conference, when President Heber J. Grant announced the Church would inaugurate a Church security plan, later known as the Church welfare plan. Six months later he explained: "Our primary purpose was to set up . . . a system under which the curse of idleness would be done away with, the evils of a dole abolished, and independence, industry, thrift and self respect be once more established amongst our people. The aim of the Church is to help the people to help themselves. Work is to be re-enthroned as the ruling principle of the lives of our Church membership."4

President Thomas S. Monson
First Counselor in the First Presidency

In April of 1950, my wife Frances and I were in attendance at the Sunday afternoon session of general conference, held in this building. President George Albert Smith was the President of the Church, and in closing the conference, he delivered an inspiring and powerful message concerning the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Before he concluded his remarks, however, he sounded a prophetic warning. Said he: "It will not be long until calamities will overtake the human family unless there is speedy repentance. It will not be long before those who are scattered over the face of the earth by millions will die . . . because of what will come" (in Conference Report, Apr. 1950, 169). These were alarming words, for they came from a prophet of God.

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

Brethren of the priesthood, I urge you to cultivate the gift of an obedient spirit. The Savior taught that "whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man. . . . And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man."
How do we know if we are wise or foolish? When we hear inspired counsel, we obey. That is the test of wise or foolish.What does it profit us if we listen to wise counsel and do not heed the words? Of what use is experience if we do not learn from it? What good are the scriptures if we do not cherish the words and incorporate them into our lives?
President Gordon B. Hinckley has promised that "[Heavenly Father] will shower down blessings upon those who walk in obedience to His commandments."

Elder Henry B. Eyring

The scriptures make the danger of delay clear. It is that we may discover that we have run out of time. The God who gives us each day as a treasure will require an accounting. We will weep, and He will weep, if we have intended to repent and to serve Him in tomorrows which never came or have dreamt of yesterdays where the opportunity to act was past. This day is a precious gift of God. The thought "Someday I will" can be a thief of the opportunities of time and the blessings of eternity.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Said Elder Packer recently: “If 9/11 (September 11, 2001) was a wake-up call, then the earthquake and tsunami in Southeast Asia (on December 26, 2004), was a kick out of bed. We need to pay attention to the signs of the times.” (Boyd K. Packer, meeting of the Twelve and the Seventy, January 11, 2005).

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Then there was General Conference October 2005:

Bishop Keith B. McMullin
Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric

Faith, spirituality, and obedience produce a prepared and self-reliant people. As we obey the covenant of tithing, we are shielded from want and the power of the destroyer. As we obey the fast and give generously to care for others, our prayers are heard and family fidelity increases. Similar blessings come as we obey the counsel of the prophets and live within our means, avoid unnecessary debt, and set aside sufficient of life's necessities to sustain ourselves and our families for at least a year. This may not always be easy, but let us do our "very best," and our stores shall not fail?there shall be "enough and to spare."

President James E. Faust
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

The holy scriptures as well as the local and General Authorities of the Church provide a safety net of counsel and guidance for the people of the Church. For example, all my life the Brethren have from this and other pulpits urged our people to live within their incomes, stay out of debt, and save a little for a rainy day, for rainy days always come. I have lived through times of great economic difficulty, such as the Great Depression and World War II. What I have experienced makes me afraid not to do what I can to protect myself and my family against the consequences of such catastrophes. I am grateful to the Brethren for this wise counsel.

President Gordon B. Hinckley

We can so live that we can call upon the Lord for His protection and guidance. . . . We cannot expect His help if we are unwilling to keep His commandments.

Having said this, I do not hesitate to say that this old world is no stranger to calamities and catastrophes. Those of us who read and believe the scriptures are aware of the warnings of prophets concerning catastrophes that have come to pass and are yet to come to pass.

There was the great Flood, when waters covered the earth and when, as Peter says, only "eight souls were saved" (1 Peter 3:20).

If anyone has any doubt concerning the terrible things that can and will afflict mankind, let him read the 24th chapter of Matthew. Among other things the Lord says: "Ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars. . . .

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

"All these are the beginning of sorrows. . . .

"And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! . . .

"For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened" (Matthew 24:6?8, 19, 21?22).

In the Book of Mormon we read of unimaginable destruction in the Western Hemisphere at the time of the Savior's death in Jerusalem (3 Nephi 8:5?10, 12?14).

How portentous are the words of revelation found in the 88th section of the Doctrine and Covenants concerning the calamities that should befall after the testimonies of the elders. The Lord says:

"For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

"And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

"And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men's hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people" (D&C 88:89?91).

What we have experienced in the past was all foretold, and the end is not yet. Just as there have been calamities in the past, we expect more in the future. What do we do?

Someone has said it was not raining when Noah built the ark. But he built it, and the rains came.
The Lord has said, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (D&C 38:30).

We can so live that we can call upon the Lord for His protection and guidance. This is a first priority. We cannot expect His help if we are unwilling to keep His commandments. We in this Church have evidence enough of the penalties of disobedience in the examples of both the Jaredite and the Nephite nations. Each went from glory to utter destruction because of wickedness.

We can heed warnings. We have been told that many had been given concerning the vulnerability of New Orleans. We are told by seismologists that the Salt Lake Valley is a potential earthquake zone. This is the primary reason that we are extensively renovating the Tabernacle on Temple Square. This historic and remarkable building must be made to withstand the shaking of the earth.

We have built grain storage and storehouses and stocked them with the necessities of life in the event of a disaster. But the best storehouse is the family storeroom. In words of revelation the Lord has said, "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing" (D&C 109:8).

Our people for three-quarters of a century have been counseled and encouraged to make such preparation as will assure survival should a calamity come.

We can set aside some water, basic food, medicine, and clothing to keep us warm. We ought to have a little money laid aside in case of a rainy day.

I am saying nothing that has not been said for a very long time.

Let us never lose sight of the dream of Pharaoh concerning the fat cattle and the lean, the full ears of corn, and the blasted ears; the meaning of which was interpreted by Joseph to indicate years of plenty and years of scarcity (see Genesis 41:1?36).I have faith, my dear brethren, that the Lord will bless us, and watch over us, and assist us if we walk in obedience to His light, His gospel, and His commandments.

Elder Paul E. Koelliker
Of the Seventy

Just as in Noah's time we live in a day of prophetic promise and fulfillment.

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf

We recognize that we are living in a time of turmoil, disaster, and war. We and many others feel strongly the great need for a "defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth" (D&C 115:6).

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
double post

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I believe we have been warned. Some people have called me an alarmist. If I am, so are the prophets and apostles. I quote them and some of those statements really can not be interpreted any other way.

bokbadok
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I hope you don't think that I am calling you an alarmist, mirk. I was just expressing my own ambiguity about the news reports that filter down.

mirkwood
04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
No not at all, that was a general observation I have made over the years. I understood what you were saying.

Molly
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
bok I've heard enough about wheat shortages from people in the business (cannery workers don't count) that make me believe there is a problem. I don't think it is quite as bad as we are perceiving...yet...because there is a lot of panic buying with the wheat right now.

Last Wednesday we had to can red wheat at the cannery, because there was no white wheat. Actually the red wheat was already canned. We had a lot of people sign up for the white wheat. When they found out there was only red wheat, some took that, because they were told that there was a chance they could never get the white wheat. The others wanted to wait & see if the cannery would be able to get the white wheat. Got the phone call today. We are going to the cannery tomorrow to can white wheat. There is plenty to fill the orders for our ward & maybe extra if we want it.
Is there a shortage on white wheat? I was told there isn't. But, who knows. When this was announced in RS, it was said, there is a shortage, so people signed up via panic buying. I am not sure if that made sense. In fact one of our ward members said to me, I haven't the slighest idea what to do with wheat, but thought I had better get some. We did a class on cooking with wheat. I wish she had been there. When the time comes, I am sure she'll be a quick learner.

Molly

sunsinger
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I might eat your cat. I love Chinese food!
Take a wok, Cowboy. I like cats.

kamoil
04-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow mirkwood!!! With reading the highlighted areas of the talks you posted, it really puts things into perspective!!! Thanks!

prairiemom
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I enjoyed the article. However, I have to say that 72-hr kits are a good idea, of course depending on where you live. In our area, we never go anywhere during winter without a kit in the car. It would be pure foolishness to travel without a car kit that will see you through 72-hrs being stranded.

And we have had floods combined with ice storms that took out power, water, all services. Our house was w/o power for 10 days. I evacuated with 2 small children literally minutes before the storm hit, with our 72-hr kit and clothes (We were going to wait the storm out until authorities predicted a nearby earthen dam would fail soon. It didn't.) Most people did not evacuate and many members found their 72-hr kits invaluable.

I'm sure people in St. Louis who had kits were grateful for them. I'm sure the people in ID in the wake of the Teton Dam would have benefited from them. Tornadoes, flood, failing dams, earthquake, ice storms, blizzards, hurricanes are all good reasons to have a 72-hr kit. About Red Cross or other emergency services: Don't count on them. For those who live in large metropolitan areas I have two words: St. Louis. It took the FEMA-types 2-3 days to reach the small rural towns of our state when we were flooded. They survived because their farmer neighbors were prepared.

So in our area we have already learned how important a 72-hr kit can be. It's been 11yrs since that disaster and we may never see another one like it. But it was a valuable lesson on being prepared.

thor610
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
For growing vegetables, I just finished a great resource: "Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times" by Steve Solomon

He discusses the realities of actually eating from the garden, when a crop failure means hunger instead of "oh well I'll try again next year." Highly recommended.

I started reading this book. I wonder if you or anyone else has ever tried to make the fertilizer with the ingredients he recommends. He says they are rather easy to get, but I had a difficult time finding all but the ag lime and I live in the country. I was able to find beanmeal. Is that the same as seedmeal? I also found bloodmeal instead of tankage. Are they the same or different? This might be just a matter of semantics. I'm not sure.

bokbadok
04-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I haven't looked for those ingredients, but the first place I would check is the local farm/ranch store. Farmer's co-ops and feed stores should be able to order some. Real garden centers and nurseries (not big box) are another likely place.

I've found bloodmeal and bone meal at home depot, but haven't seen the others there. I don't know what the difference between bloodmeal and tankage is.

Oh - and for anyone in the intermountain states - you don't need to add lime to your soils. At. All. That hard mountain water supplies all the calcium your soil will ever need, and more.

thor610
04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes, well I checked every feed store and grain elevator within a reasonable driving distance. Most of them don't carry the ingredients as he lists them. However, as I said, I was able to find enough products in different places to make a copy of the fertilizer. I'll just have to see if it works according to the ingredients that I can get here.

As far as guano, I'd have to go to the caves of Kentucky and collect it myself before anyone around here sold it.

Two things no one knew where to go to get was basalt dust and rock phosphate. Where are those things sold?

DMGNUT
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Mirk is an alarmist...
but then, so am I. :001_sbiggrin:

thor610
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
If you are wondering what to feed your dog in hard times, take a tip from what I have observed in third world countries where commercial dog food is hard to get. They feed their dogs rice and beans along with scraps. Rice and beans make a complete protein. Granted your dog would have to get used to it, but it is a back up. Also, consider road kill. Dogs can eat ripe meat more readily than humans without getting sick.

I also store canned mackerel for my four legged friends. It is cheap at the discount store.

Charsee
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
My son ate dog twice last week in Korea, not really by choice.

Just make sure it is blessed first, right?