View Full Version : Dehydrated egg production problems

arbilad
01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I just got a call from Best Prices Storable Foods (a.k.a www.internet-grocer.net). The cannery is having problems fulfilling dehydrated egg orders. Even though they've been FDA certified for 25 years, the FDA has come in and given them all sorts of grief, including asking for the blueprints of their building. They've provided all that now, and are hoping to start shipping again after the first of February.
So I doubled my dehydrated egg order, and I'll just wait for it to come in. I really want eggs in my food storage. I can cook without it, but there are so many things I can't bake without eggs. I figured that if there are problems now, there might be problems in the future, and so I better double my egg order and get what I need now instead of waiting for the future.

4evermama
01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I anticipate seeing more stories along these lines.

And I agree with having a good suppy of eggs in your storage.

Remember that eggs can be substituted in many recipes, so if you don't get your totals up to what your goals are, exhanges can be made.
Gelatin and Flax seed meal make for good subs.

signseeker
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Get some chickens, arbi! :yesnod: We don't water ours or give them heat or light in the winter - they don't lay for a while, but by March they are laying again. They sleep in wooden dog houses with grass clippings for bedding. Easy peasy.

arbilad
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I anticipate seeing more stories along these lines.

And I agree with having a good suppy of eggs in your storage.

Remember that eggs can be substituted in many recipes, so if you don't get your totals up to what your goals are, exhanges can be made.
Gelatin and Flax seed meal make for good subs.

That's good to know that eggs can be substituted. A coworker was remarking that this sort of thing is more common since the FDA was given new powers last year.
And yes, I think that we'll see more stories along these lines. Food prices will rise a lot this year, and the FDA will pull more stunts like this, so food will be increasingly harder and more expensive to get.
While I was also adding eggs to my order, I also added some egg mix. I'm told that you can make pretty good scrambled eggs with the egg mix (which has added ingredients other than egg).
I think that the average diet of a lot of americans is about to change.

arbilad
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Get some chickens, arbi! :yesnod: We don't water ours or give them heat or light in the winter - they don't lay for a while, but by March they are laying again. They sleep in wooden dog houses with grass clippings for bedding. Easy peasy.

Sign, I would gladly have chickens if I could. Since the divorce I live in an apartment. I wouldn't really have any place to keep them.
BTW, there are some chicken breeds that lay in winter, albeit less often than in summer.

arbilad
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
BTW, I just checked Emergency Essentials and they list the eggs as backordered as well. I wonder if they use a common supplier.

signseeker
01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Forgot about the apartment, arbi... I picture you "out a ways" ... I don't know why.

One thing I finally found was a delicious bread recipe that does not use eggs. I'll get it for you if you want. I figure any way to cut down on eggs is good - they are going to be rare when SHTF.

4evermama
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
:yummie: Bread recipe please!

phylm
01-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Sign, I would gladly have chickens if I could. Since the divorce I live in an apartment. I wouldn't really have any place to keep them.
BTW, there are some chicken breeds that lay in winter, albeit less often than in summer.

Hens need 16 hours of good light to keep laying year around. We put their lights on a timer in the winter. It may be that giving them a respite in winter would keep them productive during the longer days for more years. They would be ready to lay and set in the spring to produce chicks.

We used to put eggs down in water glass in crocks in the cellar when the hens were laying more than we could use at the time. Can preerve them with vaseline, too, although I never tried that.

There are good recipes for egg replacement in baking with gelatin. i've stocked up on that.

Highlandsunrise
01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Until this last batch of hens we have always had to suplement light to keep them laying in the winter. We experimented with our July golden sex link chicks with no light because we had been told they would lay through the winter with no light. We have nine hens and are getting eight, occasionally nine eggs a day in Highland, Utah with weather in the low teens at night. They have food available all the time and we have one of those heater bases under the waterer. We feed them all the house scraps and all the garden scraps and the grass clippings. The nine of them drink a little over a gallon of water a day. We keep oyster shell calcium available too because they are laying so heavily. Surely they will burn out quickly at this rate. I understand these guys are highbreds that won't breed true in subsequent generations.

Noahs ARK
01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Eggs are on my Feb prep list, but maybe I'll put in a large order right now.

libertygranny
01-13-2011, 10:19 PM
At internet grocers they only sell it in 50 lb bags, so do you pack it in #10 cans yourself? And do you still use the oxy packets in the can? I've only boughten it in a smaller 1lb bag to try it out, but we've put eggs on our list to get this year.

arbilad
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Actually they sell it in #10 cans too.

libertygranny
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks Arbi! I didn't see the #10 can price, I just looked at the bulk price. Internet grocers is where I'm going to order my canned butter and cheese from. I've had them bookmarked for years.

Another good place to get bulk items is bulkfoods.com, I've gotten some stuff from them and have been real happy with the price, etc.

Noahs ARK
01-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Eggs are on my Feb prep list, but maybe I'll put in a large order right now.

Okey-Dokey....my scrambled eggs, whole eggs & egg whites have been ordered from EE. Threw in some hashbrowns & pilot crackers for the heck of it. :sleep:

I'll let you know if there's any delay in shipment and/or backorders.

Aldon
01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I noticed the internet Grocer carries dehydrated squirrel. Did not know they had domesticated squirrels....

It takes a whole lot of tree rat to dehydrate and fill a #10 can I would assume....:l0 (27):

Justme
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I noticed the internet Grocer carries dehydrated squirrel. Did not know they had domesticated squirrels....

It takes a whole lot of tree rat to dehydrate and fill a #10 can I would assume...

To me that is funny and a little unappetizing but if my Missouri raised step father were still alive he would probably want some.

Is the squirrel cheaper than other meat?

arbilad
01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Can you share a link? I couldn't find the squirrel on their website.

hiccups
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Can you share a link? I couldn't find the squirrel on their website.
http://www.internet-grocer.net/squirrel.htm

arbilad
01-14-2011, 01:06 PM
The ordering page says that it's a joke. So they don't really sell dehydrated squirrel.

Aldon
01-14-2011, 09:13 PM
The ordering page says that it's a joke. So they don't really sell dehydrated squirrel.

I guess I did not dig far enough:)

Noahs ARK
01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Okey-Dokey....my scrambled eggs, whole eggs & egg whites have been ordered from EE. Threw in some hashbrowns & pilot crackers for the heck of it. :sleep:

I'll let you know if there's any delay in shipment and/or backorders.

No delay or backorder - everything arrived today. Yippee!

arbilad
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Were those powdered eggs?

Noahs ARK
01-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Were those powdered eggs?

Dehydrated scrambled eggs, whole eggs & egg whites from Emergency Essentials.