PDA

View Full Version : #10 can experiment

Baconator
01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Sometimes I want to open a can of something, but don't want to eat a whole #10 can of whatever it is for the next week or so.
I considered how I could do this without the rest of the can going to waste (MH is too expensive for that).
I have a Foodsaver with a vacuum attachment and when I saw their wide mouth jar sealer the lightbulb went on. I can take out what I want from the can and put the rest into jars and vacuum seal them.
It doesn't heat seal them, nor will it provide the shelf life that the original cans will, but I want to see how this works.

BTW, a #10 can of tortilla soup fits in one half-gallon jar and one quart jar, minus one cup....which i'm going to eat.

Does this sound like a viable solution to you guys or have I finally gone 'round the bend'?

threepercent
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
why have you made this being a viable solution and you going round the bend exclusive?

Baconator
01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Hmm. Good point. Well played, sir.

Noahs ARK
01-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Does this sound like a viable solution to you guys or have I finally gone 'round the bend'?

Well..you know that I love experiments, so I can't wait to hear how this turns out.

My friend has a Foodsaver that she uses all the time, but she never told me it had a wide mouth jar attachment! I have to call her right now. :glare:

Baconator
01-25-2011, 07:43 PM
We got ours in June. I don't know how we lived without it. I love the containers! No more slimy lettuce or 'fuzzy' leftovers.

Noahs ARK
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
We got ours in June. I don't know how we lived without it. I love the containers! No more slimy lettuce or 'fuzzy' leftovers.

I keep thinking I need one, but have put it off cuz I remember how many times I used the Seal-A-Meal that I just HAD to have. :l0 (46):

Baconator
01-25-2011, 08:14 PM
It's basically the same thing, but I use it constantly. It's all owned by Jarden consumer anyway. Foodsaver, seal-a-meal, Ball and Kerr jars and lids. They're into lots of canning stuff.

Ligure
01-25-2011, 11:51 PM

OK I gotta understand how you achieve no soggy lettuce and fuzzy leftovers with a foodsaver. We recently got ours and we are only beginning to see the uses.

Ligure

Baconator
01-26-2011, 06:38 AM
OK I gotta understand how you achieve no soggy lettuce and fuzzy leftovers with a foodsaver. We recently got ours and we are only beginning to see the uses.

Ligure
They sell containers. The bags are good for freezing stuff, but the containers are best for keeping stuff in the fridge.
The smaller marinating dish holds one bag of shredded lettuce. Googling "foodsaver containers" turns up lots of options.

Charlene
01-26-2011, 07:27 AM
It might be ok for a few days held over in the fridge. Mainly those Foodsaver attachments for the wide and regular lids is for sealing dry goods like pasta, dehydrated foods and chocolate:)

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Anything wet (soup, peaches, etc.) should be treated like fresh food once it has been opened. For safety:
1) recan in pressure canner,
2) put into frig and use like the leftover it is, or
3) freeze in portion sizes
Otherwise, you are jeopardizing your health and those you serve it to. Treat it like any other food that has been opened. It doesn't go back onto the shelf safely, or the refrigerator indefinitely. I think I am starting to sound like a scold. Not my intention, please be careful with your health.

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Anything wet (soup, peaches, etc.) should be treated like fresh food once it has been opened. For safety:
1) recan in pressure canner,
2) put into frig and use like the leftover it is, or
3) freeze in portion sizes
Otherwise, you are jeopardizing your health and those you serve it to. Treat it like any other food that has been opened. It doesn't go back onto the shelf safely, or the refrigerator indefinitely. I think I am starting to sound like a scold. Not my intention, please be careful with your health.

Baconator
01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I apologize if I was unclear.
This is for #10 cans of freeze-dried foods. I opened some cans of freeze dried fruits a while back and ate a bunch of it, but within a couple of weeks, even with the lids on, the remaining fruit had wicked enough moisture from the air to turn into big, spongy bricks.
It's proved suitable for keeping the squirrels and birds happy, but that's expensive critter food.
I wouldn't dream of putting, say, tomatoes in a jar in this fashion for more than 3-4 days, even refrigerated.

As far as the containers, a bag of lettuce will begin to brown within 2-3 days. It lasts longer under vacuum. They're for extending the fridge life of leftovers for days, not weeks.

iggy
01-14-2018, 05:21 PM
To make the #10 cans more of a saving, I re-package all of them into one serving size by vacuum seal bags with my FoodSaver. The lids for the jars are just way too expensive for me, so I don't go that way. When doing pasta, stop the vacuum when the bag just begins to look sucked out, then continue with the seal portion. I learned the hard way when I did lasagna noodles. Did them in the box, and when I went to open one up, had lasagna noodle DUST! I don't pre-cook the noodles anyway, so I used the un-dust sizes. Ended up openig up three boxes.

So the dust - - put it in the blender to break it all up into pretty much powder, then portioned it out into 1 cup per smallest bag that FoodSavers makes. Now I have gravy making flour, can also make noodles with it. Mixed with flour to make soft bread sticks. Same with the Dehydrated Asparagus tips I bought that were tough and awful. Powdered it all and re-packaged into 1/2 cup vacuum sealed packages. Add it to gravy's, soups, when I make soft bread sticks[especially ones to go with meat roasts].

Old beans. If they won't soften up even after sprouting for 3 days AND cooking in a soup/stock pot - take the remainder and grind into flour. Package up into 1/3 to 1/2 cup portions and vacuum seal in bags! Great when added to flour when making gravy or bread, as a thickener in soups, etc. Don't add too much unless you want the soup/gravy/bread to taste like beans.

Wish I had done that with the #10 cans of Muffin Mix. Their contents are 3 plus servings. Had I re-packaged them into a serving each, then combined the extra together, would have ended up with usable sizes.