PDA

View Full Version : What's your February prep goal?...

Noahs ARK
01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm still working down in the crawlspace. Will it ever end? :18:

Hubby has surgery on Friday, so this will be a quiet month for us. I'll go thru more bins that are headed for the crawlspace, but that'll be it.

Might be a good month to start reading the scriptures.

What's on your agenda??

Harm
01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Well with all the food nonsense going on worldwide I'm planning on trying to pick up another 300 pounds of wheat and 200 pounds of rice. Need some more bucket liners. That and I bought my wife a 50 pound bag of Potato Starch we need to can.

Plus I'd like to set aside 1k rds of 9mm, and another 500rds of 5.56 and 250rds of 308 - but thats tax return stuff.

Earthling
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Just put in a reverse osmosis water filter. Going to buy chicken breasts tomorrow at $1.28 lb and can it. Also look for hot deals on chocolate the day after Valentine's Day. Should get the wood cook stove installed this month - rock went up on the hearth today.

GAMom
02-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Bought a generator last month, now we need to get it hooked up to our electrical system. That's 1st on the list this month. I am still reviewing my food stuffs to find any holes I may have in it - things I have used but not replaced. I'm also concentrating on getting over the counter med's this month. And of course MORE T.P. I always pick us another large package to two when we go to Sam's Club, since we are always using it as we store it. I'm considering building a chicken coop and getting some laying hens so we'll have fresh eggs. Our Home Owners Association may not like it-but I plan to put it where it won't be easily seen in the back yard. Hope our neighbors won't mind. Maybe if I offer them a constant supply of eggs, I'll win them over! What do you think??? Will that help any?

Baconator
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Heat and light are my focus this month. I'm going with kerosene and kleenheat for my lamps. I ran my oil lamps all weekend and discovered that 1/2 gallon of kleenheat lasts about 12 hours, if I burn them all constantly. The furnace didn't kick on once while they were lit, either. I put in an order for a HMN-110 kerosene heater and need to find a good source for some 1-K kerosene.

mirkwood
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Get around to buying that Aimpoint finally.

signseeker
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Finish the D&C. (Just got to sec. 95 last month)
Learn some more rice recipes.
Get the seeds ordered.
Lose 5 pounds.

The big one: Read scriptures every night as a family. We had done this when the two oldest kids were little, for about 7 years. They'd gone through the entire standard works before they got into high school. Then we fizzled for the last 2-3 years. So we're starting again. I think we can make it through before the 2nd grader starts high school. They really gain as far as reading skills, too. And it strengthens the family. :)

Noahs ARK
02-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Got a package from UPS today. Hubby ordered some really cool stuff from Kennesaw Cutlery. I'd given him a catalog to look at awhile back and asked him to order anything we "needed".

Apparently we "needed" lots of stuff. :eek (2):

Here's my favorite thing.... http://kennesawcutlery.com/Self-Defense/Cold-Steel-Honey-Comb-Dagger

Does this man know the way to my heart or what?? :001_wub:

signseeker
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Holy cow, NoahsArk, you're going to be like 007 with your gadgets! :thumbup:

Noahs ARK
02-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Holy cow, NoahsArk, you're going to be like 007 with your gadgets! :thumbup:

I know! It looks just like a regular hairbrush.

It's soooooo cool, but he really shouldn't encourage my love of weapons. :svengo:

Earthling
02-04-2011, 10:54 PM
So glad you warned me of the chocolate shortage. I bought dark chocolate bricks and more cocoa powder. I am ready to roll! . . . :D

Noahs ARK
02-04-2011, 11:40 PM
So glad you warned me of the chocolate shortage. I bought dark chocolate bricks and more cocoa powder. I am ready to roll! . . . :D

...and let's not forget the health benefits we get from dark chocolate. :l0 (14):

How do you store those chocolate bricks?

Noahs ARK
02-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Oh great - Cracker Barrel has their Fried Apples & pie fillings (28 oz jar) on sale right now.

I normally make my own, but would love to stock some of theirs.

Earthling
02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
control Noah's Ark . . . control (says the one with all the chocolate but hey - you inspired me with talk of 50 cent candy bars)

I put them in a storage room that is cool - up hopefully where mice can't easily access. They are too big for buckets unless I break them up. Once the original package is open and pieces broke off then I will probably break up the rest and put in plastic buckets/Tupperware. They contain cocoa butter so need to keep them cool.

JuneGem
02-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Funny, I was going to ask the same question about storing chocolate. Earthling, are you saying that, as long as the chocolate stays in it's original wrapper, that it should keep pretty well in cool conditions?

I was thinking about buying things like chocolate kisses (after "V" day) and putting the bags in plastic coffee cans, and topping with pressure wrap (the stuff that sticks to everything) before putting the lid on. The pressure wrap kind of works like a gasket that way.

I don't have a Food Saver vacuum sealer (yet) so am restricted to being creative.

Earthling
02-06-2011, 07:48 PM
There are two enemies to chocolate storage - heat & air - so wrap it the best you can to keep out oxygen and put it in the coolest place you can. I have some very old chocolate that is still good this way. The cocoa butter in it going rancid is the big problem. Remember if it has nuts it that it will store longer if you refrigerate it or even better freeze it. I have thrown out a few packages of rancid peanut M&Ms - my heart still hurts to this day . . . . so sad.

Do you think I could talk DH into a freezer to hold my peanut M&M's & Snickers? :l0 (36):

Noahs ARK
02-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I have thrown out a few packages of rancid peanut M&Ms - my heart still hurts to this day . . . . so sad.

Do you think I could talk DH into a freezer to hold my peanut M&M's & Snickers? :l0 (36):

RIP little peanut M&Ms. :07:

I was thinking maybe that FoodSaver that works with the wide-mouthed jars would be good, but got to thinking about how much chocolate I have and figured a new freezer would be cheaper than 100 cases of jars. :arf:

Earthling
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
figured a new freezer would be cheaper than 100 cases of jars. :arf:

ok - good line - I will try that on DH. "It's cheaper!" :l0 (31):

mirkwood
02-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Do you think I could talk DH into a freezer to hold my peanut M&M's & Snickers?

Actually, yes.

JuneGem
02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Thank you, Earthling! I don't think I will have any problem with keeping it cool and I believe, after this discussion, that I can adequately package it. Awesome! Chocolate is definitely a necessity and I was fretting over adding it to our food storage! LOL!!

And may I offer my belated condolences on the loss of your peanut M&Ms. Sounds like a good story line for a Lifetime TV movie. A real tear-jerker! ;o)

signseeker
02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I prefer almond m&m's but peanut will do in a TEOTWAWKI scenario. :)

Noahs ARK
02-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I prefer almond m&m's but peanut will do in a TEOTWAWKI scenario. :)

I prefer the almond M&M's, too.

Wonder if they sell in bulk like Hershey's does? I love their website. http://www.mms.com/us/index.jsp

Noahs ARK
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Thank you, Earthling! I don't think I will have any problem with keeping it cool and I believe, after this discussion, that I can adequately package it. Awesome! Chocolate is definitely a necessity and I was fretting over adding it to our food storage! LOL!!

I've been storing chocolate for years and have never had a problem as long as I keep it cool & dry.

I have plastic bins for my choclate. Every time I get a package with those styrofoam peanuts, I save them for packing my chocolate in the bins. I don't use a lot of them - just a few. You can also add some of those oxygen absorbers to your bins.

Then I store the bins in my basement or master closet.

I keep my baking chocolate & chips in their original wrappers and then put them in freezer bags. Never had a problem with them, either.

JuneGem
02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Noah, hope your DH is mending well after his surgery this past Friday.

Noahs ARK
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Noah, hope your DH is mending well after his surgery this past Friday.

He's recovering nicely - thanks for asking!

GAMom
02-08-2011, 07:32 AM
We are going to the Cannery this weekend to add to our food storage, but after reading the information about Obama"s ordering the Military to Prepare for Food Riots in a previous thread, I am rethinking my order. Althought I was just adding to what I have - I may add even more now! More wheat especially!!! I just read a quote from Brigham Young that said "The time will come that gold will hold no comparison in value to a bushel of wheat." Well, we haven't been able to put away any gold or silver for the impending financial crisis, but we do have a lot of wheat - and now we are going to have more!!!!

mirkwood
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
My wife went to the cannery yesterday. She came home with two cases of applesauce, one case of black beans and a can of onions.

GAMom
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Applesauce!!!! You guys get to can APPLESAUCE!! NO FAIR!!! We don't have the blessing of having a wet pack cannery anymore - they took it out of the storehouse in Atlanta about 10 years ago. Boo Hoo!!! We do still have the dry pack available - but we have to make reservations to go and them make sure to let them know ahead of time what we plan to put up. Also, we no longer may take things to the cannery to seal in cans or pouches, but we may take a portable sealer/canner home and do whatever we what there. Our RS is having a calss on storing M& M's, etc next week. Yummy good treats to store for whenever.

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
My wife went to the cannery yesterday. She came home with two cases of applesauce, one case of black beans and a can of onions.

Question ~~ is that wet applesauce or freeze-dried? Not that it matters, just curious.

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Our RS is having a calss on storing M&M's, etc next week. Yummy good treats to store for whenever.

You'll be taking notes & reporting back to us, right? This is valuable information!!!! :l0 (4):

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 03:10 PM
We are going to the Cannery this weekend to add to our food storage, but after reading the information about Obama"s ordering the Military to Prepare for Food Riots in a previous thread, I am rethinking my order. Althought I was just adding to what I have - I may add even more now! More wheat especially!!! I just read a quote from Brigham Young that said "The time will come that gold will hold no comparison in value to a bushel of wheat." Well, we haven't been able to put away any gold or silver for the impending financial crisis, but we do have a lot of wheat - and now we are going to have more!!!!

I was a little unsettled after reading that information, too. I hadn't planned on ordering much this month cuz I ordered so much last month, but I'm re-thinking it, too.

Hubby is saying "just order whatever you think we need!"

Ok - I'll do that - right after I go pick the money off the Money Tree in our backyard!! :l0 (7):

mirkwood
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes, wet applesauce.

Earthling
02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
I called the dry pack cannery today to see if I could get in asap. If all else fails I will just go pick up some bulk food. This is looking ugly folks. Better take care of business now before the general population figures it out.

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I called the dry pack cannery today to see if I could get in asap. If all else fails I will just go pick up some bulk food. This is looking ugly folks. Better take care of business now before the general population figures it out.

I'm gonna hit Food Lion tomorrow. I have a small grocery list, but think I'll browse up & down the aisles and check out some of the prices I'm familiar with.

Think I'll also get some cases of Gatorade. Those are a "must have" for hubby per his doctor.

I wonder if the general population even cares? I have a good friend with 6 kids. She refuses to even attempt to store food & water cuz "she doesn't have the space, so I guess we'll just all die together." She has a basement with 1600 sq. ft. I'd be LINING those walls with shelves or putting up a wall and making a food storage room. She has no idea how I'd love a basement that size!

JuneGem
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm afraid you are correct, Noah. Truth be told, we only clued in on food storage about 3 or 4 months ago and only know of one other family that is making an effort. Luckily, we jumped in with both feet. Our next door neighbors refuse to see any of the problems that are going on and they both work for WalMart (one in management). You would think that THEY would at least be seeing the writing on the wall.

Noahs ARK
02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Good for you jumping in with both feet!! Make sure you store some "fun" stuff that will last a long time. Hard candy is perfect for storage.

I noticed the other day that my neighbor is stock-piling firewood. He's never done that before.

4evermama
02-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I suspect that a few people might be waking up, but most will not respond until the urgency is at their door.

For those who have spent time working and preparing their homes, the warnings are easier to decipher. You have something to compare it to. Watching prices becomes second nature. Watching crop reports is just a matter of clicking a link. When you do business with certain people, then you are likely to gain information when it's pertinent. Most people "in the know" WANT to share any insights that they have in order to help others.

If you've been paying attention, you can see the changes. I am happy to help others when they ask, but I'm done with my efforts to actively convert. I just don't have the energy for it anymore. My family still has soooo much to learn. Our focus is directed within our home and to anyone who sincerely needs us. If someone is just looking for idle conversation, I don't have the time to waste.

Noahs ARK
02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
I am happy to help others when they ask, but I'm done with my efforts to actively convert. I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

I have to agree - I've been talking about my storage for over 35 years with both friends and family. I'm done unless somebody is serious. My sister and I spent an hour on the phone earlier - she's decided that eating tree bark isn't quite as appealing as it was 6 months ago and is spending a fortune trying to catch up. I wish it hadn't taken her so long, but I'm thankful that she finally saw the light. Sheesh.

The majority of my friends refuse to acknowledge that it's even possible for the STHTF.

I don't understand the "Well...if it happens, I guess our family will just die" mentality.

The problem with that is they won't "just die" - they'll be knocking on MY door because they'll remember that I've been talking about it for years & years.

:mad (2):

JuneGem
02-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Well I sat down with him one afternoon and said that I wanted to talk about something and to please listen to all my reasoning and not be immediately dismissive. Then I said the topic is "food storage." Turns out he had come to the same conclusion. So we talked about it a while and agreed to do some personal soul-searching. A couple days later, we sat down and worked out a plan which we immediately starting putting into place.

First up was converting a "junk" closet and a week later we began our food purchases. We got the basics quickly and have been adding fillers ever since whenever we spot a good sale. It has shaped up very nicely and very quickly. I'm just glad we were in a position to be able to do it.

I found this wonderful sharing board during the first week and found many wonderful hints and guidance. I still thank you all.

Next week, as Valentine's day candies go on sale, I'll start adding "fun" stuff.

JuneGem
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Well I sat down with him one afternoon

Oh, by the way ... the "him" is my husband. LOL!! A wonderful thoughtful man. We typically think very much alike, so I shouldn't have been surprised that we had reached the same point at the same time.

4evermama
02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Some of us have been known to resort to making furniture out of our hauls.:l0 (46):

Smart to have a place to put it "BEFORE" you bring it home. Keep in mind, however, that cans are like Tribbles. Left unattended, they multiply faster than you can count. Before you know it, the whole ship (err, I mean house) will be loaded.

Leftover holiday candy does the same thing, but for some reason, it rotates quicker. Hmmm.....

It sure helps to have a spouse that agrees and supports the effort.
At our house, I'm the brains, he's the muscle. Good man.

Noahs ARK
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
First up was converting a "junk" closet and a week later we began our food purchases. We got the basics quickly and have been adding fillers ever since whenever we spot a good sale. It has shaped up very nicely and very quickly. I'm just glad we were in a position to be able to do it.

Excellent! I started years ago with a little space in my closet. I lived in an apartment then and I really do laugh now when I think about what I had stored. Lots of spaghettios, mac & cheese, marshmallow fluff, chocolate chips, nuts. :l0 (46):

Noahs ARK
02-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Some of us have been known to resort to making furniture out of our hauls.:l0 (46):

Smart to have a place to put it "BEFORE" you bring it home. Keep in mind, however, that cans are like Tribbles. Left unattended, they multiply faster than you can count. Before you know it, the whole ship (err, I mean house) will be loaded.

Leftover holiday candy does the same thing, but for some reason, it rotates quicker. Hmmm.....

It sure helps to have a spouse that agrees and supports the effort.
At our house, I'm the brains, he's the muscle. Good man.

I love my corner table made out of cases with the round tabletop & tablecloth! I almost forget it's there.

LOL @ making sure we have space BEFORE buying more. I tend to forget that little detail.

Last week I kinda ran out of space for some of my #2.5 can cases that arrived. Hubby has a dresser that sits in a corner on an angle. Those cases fit perfectly behind the dresser and you can't see them!! I was doing the Happy Dance with that one.

It really does make a difference if our spouse agrees with what we're doing. My husband has had really good ideas lately and I'm thrilled.

JuneGem
02-09-2011, 03:31 PM
In addition to the food closet, we have lots of other space. We have a closet in the basement with new shelves where we will be storing cases of canned goods (if we ever get our shipment from MREDepot). There is always a possibility of mice down there, so we are being careful to only store mouseproof items there. Started to put the dehydrated eggs in that closet, but realized that it wasn't "safe."

We also have a full-sized hottub in the master bathroom. It was installed when the house was built by the original owners. We have absolutely no intention of ever using it (steam in the house!), but it will be perfect for storing paper goods and should hold quite a bit. When the cover is on it (which is ALWAYS) one would never know what is in it. Eventually we hope to do some major renovations that will allow for knocking out walls to remove it. Until then, it looks like a nice storage area to me! ;o)

Noahs ARK
02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
We just got our MREDepot shipment today, so maybe yours will be arriving shortly.

How exciting that you have so many areas for storing food! That full-sized hottub is perfect. Years ago we had an extra bathroom and stored cases of canned goods in the tub, hidden behind a shower curtain. Nobody ever thought to peek around the curtain looking for food.

We haven't seen any mice in awhile, but I still try to keep it in mind when I'm storing stuff. I was going to fill my crawlspace with toilet paper and paper towels and then thought "oh great - perfect nesting material for mice" and changed my mind.

I envy anyone with extra space. It's so much fun to make plans and get it all organized.

signseeker
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Hiding in plain sight. :yesnod:

JuneGem
02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
We just got our MREDepot shipment today, so maybe yours will be arriving shortly.

--CLIP--

We haven't seen any mice in awhile ...

I certainly hope so, Noah. The UPS link still shows it as having not been shipped and it's been about 2 weeks. I'm sure they are just backlogged and I will be thrilled when I finally see it arrive. :biggrin (2):

We haven't seen any mice this year, either. My husband went on the warpath against them last year. They were pretty much just in his workshop downstairs. I'm sure it was due to our unsecured way of storing bird seed, which has been corrected. But I'm not going to trust that they are not there just because we haven't spotted any evidence of them. They can always come back if they discover a source of food.

Noahs ARK
02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Ordered a 10-lb slab of chocolate & some Bosco syrup.

Ordered 2 headlamps from U.S.Cavalry - hubby wanted those.

Back to the crawlspace. :ack2:

4evermama
02-16-2011, 01:10 AM
a 10-lb slab of chocolate

-WITH-

bosco syrup

Seems like two very GOOD reasons to be in the crawlspace with headlamps on.:l0 (40):

Earthling
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Never heard of bosco syrup - how does it compare to the nasty Hershey's stuff?

Got some chocolate on the after Valentine's Day sale - should have been more aggressive & gone first thing in the morning. Easter is coming however . . .

JuneGem
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Got some chocolate on the after Valentine's Day sale - should have been more aggressive & gone first thing in the morning. Easter is coming however . . .

I bought 4 pounds of kisses! I, too, wish I had been more aggressive, but agree about post-Easter being yet another opportunity not to mention a better variety.

My February goal was finally realized this morning (other than yesterday's chocolate purchase) when the UPS fellow delivered our MREDepot order! Not as huge as what some of you order, but 2 cases canned hamburger meat, 1 case canned beef chunks and 1 case of canned pork chunks. All items we KNOW we can put to good use regardless.

The lamestream media is finally starting to report about escalating food prices, potential shortages and all the reasons behind them. I just feel the pressure mounting to get more in the "pantry."

signseeker
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM

:frown2:

Noahs ARK
02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Not as huge as what some of you order, but 2 cases canned hamburger meat, 1 case canned beef chunks and 1 case of canned pork chunks. All items we KNOW we can put to good use regardless.

That's a HUGE order - that meat isn't cheap!

Yay!! What a great addition to your supply.

I'm with you....no matter how much I have, I still feel like there's not quite enough. But my biggest concern right now is water, water, water.

Noahs ARK
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Oh my gosh - Bosco Syrup is the BEST. I grew up with Bosco, so part of it is a nostalgia thing with me.

I'll do a taste test between the Bosco & Hershey's and let ya know which is better, but I suspect it'll be the Bosco.

Yaaaaaaay - another experiment!! :sneaky2:

GAMom
02-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Picked up 6 - 19.2 oz. bags of M & M's - they were buy one get one free at Publix (a southern Grocery store). I didn't get out early enough to get any of the Valentine candies that were on sale 1/2 price. I'm taking them as well as a bag of oatmeal from the Storehouse to Enrichment Night tonight to put in #10 cans.

Also picked up some more canned vegetables as well as some more spaghetti sauce & parmesian cheese that were buy one get one free. They are already down in the basement ready to put on the shelves.

I am going to stock up on more canned green beans, corn, etc. when they go on sale again. I'm always watching for those special sales to get things at a good price.

JuneGem
02-17-2011, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Noahs ARK;73711]That's a HUGE order - that meat isn't cheap!

Yay!! What a great addition to your supply.[QUOTE]

We certainly couldn't have done it if it hadn't been for the coupon that was posted a couple weeks ago! And those are certainly items we can/WILL use! Thanks to whomever posted that coupon code!

Noahs ARK
02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Yippee - our 2 headlamps arrived. Can't wait to try 'em out. :l0 (6):

Noahs ARK
02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Also picked up some more canned vegetables as well as some more spaghetti sauce & parmesian cheese that were buy one get one free. They are already down in the basement ready to put on the shelves.

I am going to stock up on more canned green beans, corn, etc. when they go on sale again. I'm always watching for those special sales to get things at a good price.

It's time for me to stock up on alllllll those items. I need canned goods. I've been using a lot of it this winter cuz it was getting old enough to rotate, so it's time to buy more.

phylm
02-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I certainly hope so, Noah. The UPS link still shows it as having not been shipped and it's been about 2 weeks. I'm sure they are just backlogged and I will be thrilled when I finally see it arrive. :biggrin (2):

We haven't seen any mice this year, either. My husband went on the warpath against them last year. They were pretty much just in his workshop downstairs. I'm sure it was due to our unsecured way of storing bird seed, which has been corrected. But I'm not going to trust that they are not there just because we haven't spotted any evidence of them. They can always come back if they discover a source of food.

If you've had mice, it's a good idea to keep some D-con placed in strategic places all the time to take care of those that are returning...because, return they will!

JuneGem
02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
We definitely still have the traps out in the area they were frequenting, just in case. So far, so good. They did not return this winter.

signseeker
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Only one week left of February... :yikes:

Noahs ARK
02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Only one week left of February... :yikes:

...and my crawlspace still isn't finished. :shutup:

OTOH, I have accomplished a lot of other stuff that I'd planned for March. Anything to avoid the crawlspace, I guess. :l0 (58):

I need to order some of those hashbrowns from EE that are on sale - better do that now before the sale ends.