PDA

View Full Version : What kind of instant milk do you store?

Noahs ARK
02-12-2011, 09:05 PM
It's time to start rotating my milk, which means I'll be needing to buy more cases.

I prefer to buy it in the #10 cans because hubby doesn't drink a lot of milk and I don't want it going to waste in the superpails.

Last year I bought some of the chocolate, strawberry & vanilla milk substitutes, so those are okay for a long time.

BUT there's 2 different dried milks and I'm not sure which one to buy. We didn't have an option when I first started buying milk.

1. Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
2. Instant Nonfat Dry Fortified Milk

I want the one that tastes the best & has the smoothest texture. I'm not worried whether it's fortified or not because we have plenty of vitamins stored.

What do you use? Do you have any tricks for making it taste better?

Tx

4evermama
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Fortified makes fewer gallons per #10 can. We use Vit D drops so I went with Provident Pantry Instant Non-Fat (not fortified) for drinking. We tested about 6-7 different brands and the kids decided on PP.
Both taste about the same, so it's just a matter of what you need out of it.

For cooking, I just use the non-instant milk from the Bishop's storehouse...>gag<... if you drink it straight.

I keep lots of evaporated and flip the cans every few months to keep it from settling. It lasts longer than the date, from my experience. Use it for everything.

Morning Moo tastes fine, but it's not really milk so it doesn't have the nutrients.

If you plan on making cheese, then be sure to get non-instant milk for that. Instant works fine for making yogurt.

Gossner's milk is shelf-stable and tastes FABULOUS. But is comes at a price. (My son loves their Rootbeer flavored milk. Again, >gag<) Sometimes you can find it on sale and then it really makes it worth it. I try to keep some on hand for special occasions. Chocolate is by far our favorite but they all taste great.

We keep rice and soy milk on the shelf as well.

And then there is YooHoo. I'm not even sure if it can be classified as milk, but, yes, we've been known to throw back a few.:l0 (61):

Tricks for Powdered Milk:
Add 1 tsp vanilla and/or 1 tsp sugar to 2 qts. Mix it using warm to hot water.
Chill overnight. ALWAYS mix before pouring.

FYI- milk has really gone up in price. I've been told that it is going to get much more expensive by fall. The grain issues are going to affect everything.

mirkwood
02-13-2011, 12:47 AM
We have the church canned milk and some Morning Moo.

GAMom
02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I have Provident Pantry instant milk on hand as well as some of the Church's milk - not for drinking - it's really yuck as far as I am concerned - but it makes good yogurt. I also store canned milk - on it's side in one of those soda pop rotater thingeys for your fridge. No, I do not have it in the fridge - it's on one of my food storage shelves. :-) That way when I take one from the front, the others all move forward and stir up the canned milk. I use the canned milk in some recipes, but I also add one can of evaporated milk to one gallon of rehydrated milk to increase the texture of it when you drink it. My family likes it better that way. It also adds some fat to the milk as well. When tshtf we will need the extra fats in our diets!

Noahs ARK
02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - appreciate all the info.

DMGNUT
02-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Our stake did a blind taste test about 2 or 3 years ago. As I remember it... in the running was...

Honeyville
Moo Milk
Cannery Milk
Provident Pantry
Dairy America
Fresh store bought (Shamrock)
And they tossed in two chocolate flavored milks too, just to mix it up, but they weren't in the actual running.

All of the milks were chilled when served.
They told everyone to pick out the fresh milk, and then score the others in order of best tasting.
Hands down people thought the Dairy America (powdered milk) was the fresh milk and scored the actual fresh milk, as the best tasting of the powdered milks...

Dairy America, so far as I know, only ships in truck loads, so as I understand it (and this may have changed), you have to pick it up at one of their 9 co-ops, to buy just 1 or 2, 50# bags.
I'm fortunate that there's one in Tempe, AZ... there are 2 way back in the north-east, and the other 6 are scattered around CA.

On their web site they have a "contact us" button. So if you're interested, you might check with them and see if they'll ship just a bag or two. http://www.dairyamerica.com/

Dairy America uses a cold drying process, which as I understand it was taught to them by the Israelis some years ago when they started powdering Kosher Milk under contract for Kline Foods, for shipment to Israel.

Most powdered milk companies use a heat drying process, which is why most powdered milk has a bit of an aftertaste.

DMGNUT
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
PS.
We had a milk canning day at our house about 1 or 1 1/2 years ago.
We bought 3 50# bags and split it between 2 families (that's all we could get to participate). :sad:
Laid claim to the Stake Canning Machine for a Saturday morning, and put it all into #10 cans with oxygen absorbers.
Their web site claims 18 months shelf life, but that's left in the bags in a warehouse.
In #10 cans and an oxygen free environment, I was told by one of their workers that it was 8+ years.

Noahs ARK
02-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I keep lots of evaporated and flip the cans every few months to keep it from settling. It lasts longer than the date, from my experience. Use it for everything.

Guess I'd better research evaporated milk and see some of the ways I can use it. I only use it in recipes that specifically call for it.

I feel soooooo inadequate. :ack2:

ktcottle
02-13-2011, 09:22 PM
The best milk I have had is the Country Cream milk from Grandma country foods in Draper. They even make it in chocolate. I have tried the milk-lite and it's o.k. The other brands of milk weren't too bad, but that country cream is really, really good....especially the chocolate :)

You can get a sample packet from them for 0.89 cents to try it out.

Noahs ARK
02-13-2011, 09:32 PM
I have the Country Cream chocolate milk and it's really good! I can't remember who told me about Grandma Country Foods, but I've bought quite a few of their products and haven't been disappointed. LOVE their cranberries, too.

hiccups
02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I have powdered milk from the cannery and haven't opened an of it yet. I've been reading that a lot of people don't like this milk for drinking. I'm not sure if I'm picky about powdered milk or not, so I was looking for a frame of reference. I was wondering if anyone could compare the cannery's powdered milk with the powdered milk from Sam's?

Justme
02-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I
n #10 cans and an oxygen free environment, I was told by one of their workers that it was 8+ years.
I have had some of mine for over 10 years and it is fine - yes, I know I should use and rotate more. I believe I read on the USU site that even fat free will eventually develop an off flavor but if you could stand to use it it wouldn't be harmful. Hope I don't have to find out.

4evermama
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I've heard great things about Country Cream but haven't tried it yet. Putting that on the list of things to do.

Really like the idea of cold-freezing milk. I'll look into dairyamerica. Thanks DMGNUT.

We use evap. milk for soups, casseroles, muffins...anything that needs milk. Dilute it 50/50. I've used it for bisquits, in a pinch, but still prefer using fresh buttermilk or fresh heavy cream. I'm really picky with my bisquits.

Milk just might be one of the most overlooked necessities in homestorage. It's an expensive venture to be sure. Taking the time to research what your family will drink is worth the effort. We try to keep a wide variety so that we can practice with the taste and performance of each one.

If anyone else has experience with another brand, for good or ill, let us know.

phylm
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
I've tested the taste of the cannery milk. If you add 1/3 cup of non-dairy creamer and 2 or 3 drops of vanilla, it is tolerable for cereal, etc. With chocolate, not bad. I keep a jar of it on my baking shelf and use it for most any recipe that calls for milk, adding the dry milk to the dry ingredients, and measuring out water in the amounts of milk called for. Makes bread-making easy...can draw tap water instead of heating milk.

Noahs ARK
02-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I
I have had some of mine for over 10 years and it is fine - yes, I know I should use and rotate more. I believe I read on the USU site that even fat free will eventually develop an off flavor but if you could stand to use it it wouldn't be harmful. Hope I don't have to find out.

I buy my milk in #10 cans and so far there's been no problem with it developing any weird flavors. BUT mine is now at the 10-year mark and I need to start rotating it out.

My mom is using milk she got thru the church at least 20 years ago and says it's still good. She uses it in almost everything, except her morning cereal.

Noahs ARK
02-14-2011, 09:21 PM
We use evap. milk for soups, casseroles, muffins...anything that needs milk. Dilute it 50/50. I've used it for bisquits, in a pinch, but still prefer using fresh buttermilk or fresh heavy cream. I'm really picky with my bisquits.

OK - I'm ready to embark on an Evaporated Milk experiment. For some reason I've been afraid of doing the 50/50 with it. Don't know why.

It's never to late to become educated, right? :blushing:

I'm going to buy 1 case of it on Wednesday and start using it in everything I make. Then I'll get an idea of how much I need to store.

Yes, I'll even try it with biscuits. I'll just add a squirt of lemon juice to it and it'll be more like buttermilk.

Let the Experiment begin!!!! :l0 (62):

Justme
02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
You will want to experiment. You can buy a lower fat version as well as a whole milk version. I do not like the low fat one.

It can have a somewhat just slightly sweet flavor which some people don't like. I don't mind it.

I particularly like to use it to make cream bases like for cream soups. It's very good in pudding, gives a good rich flavor. I don't always dilute it 50/50 for these.

I probably would use it without diluting it in biscuits, then it would have a higher fat content which would give a more tender biscuit.

Noahs ARK
02-14-2011, 11:46 PM
More good advice - thanks!

signseeker
02-15-2011, 10:16 AM
We have some Morning Moo and some called Country Fresh Farms, in a light blue label in #10 cans. I got that for a screaming deal at Macey's one time. My kids all like chocolate milk so I try to keep Hershey's syrup and tubs of hot chocolate mix on hand. I figure if it has enough Hershey's syrup in it, they'll be fine. :cheers2:

Justme
02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I learn something new every day here.

I'm going to stock up on some Hershey's syrup.

As I have said I can't store chocolate because I eat it as fast as I store it. But I don't like Hershey's syrup so that would be safe from me and help out the grandkids when they can't stomach the dry milk. I don't think the Hershey's has as much sugar or some kind of additives as some chocolate milk powders, when I use the powders I get an agitated feeling, so maybe Hershey's is actually better for the kids.

jennvan40
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
If you are watching out for High Fructose Corn Syrup, beware of Hershey's syrup, it has loads of HFCS in it.

Justme
02-15-2011, 02:47 PM
If you are watching out for High Fructose Corn Syrup, beware of Hershey's syrup, it has loads of HFCS in it

Thanks, HFCS are certainly a concern, I know that they are not good for me even though some nutritionists dispute that they are a problem.

I guess my best option is dry cocoa to which we will add a reasonable amount of the sweetener of our choice.

signseeker
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess I've never given HFCS much thought... does it cause allergies or something?

Noahs ARK
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Here's the recipe for Hershey's Syrup. http://www.food.com/recipe/hersheys-chocolate-syrup-108512

<DD style="DISPLAY: none" class="flyout fly-dd " sizset="189" sizcache="71">

1/2 cup cocoa (Hershey's obviously)
1 cup sugar (http://www.food.com/library/sugar-139)
1 cup water (http://www.food.com/library/water-459)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (http://www.food.com/library/vanilla-350)
1 dash salt (http://www.food.com/library/salt-359)

Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in a saucepan.
Add water, and mix until smooth.
Bring this mixture to a boil.
Allow it to boil for one minute, be careful this does not over boil.
Remove from heat, when this cools add the vanilla.

</DD>

hiccups
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
If you are watching out for High Fructose Corn Syrup, beware of Hershey's syrup, it has loads of HFCS in it.

So I was at the store and looking at the Hershey's syrup and comparing it to the Nestle Nesquick chocolate syrup and I saw a couple of interesting things. The Nestle has no HFCS and the package says to NOT refrigerate after opening. From a purely food storage stand point, not having to refrigerate it after opening is a major plus. I bought some and the kids like it just fine. I am going back for more. The bottles I saw had a best by date a year and a half out. That's pretty good for something so easy to rotate.

Of note, the Nesquick Strawberry stuff was full of HFCS.

Earthling
02-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Plus Nestle chocolate is way better than Hershey (a little note from the resident food snob). :cool (2):

signseeker
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay, fine. I will try it next time it's shopping time. What about price, though? That's my bottom line these days.

Noahs ARK
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
The Nestle has no HFCS and the package says to NOT refrigerate after opening.

I don't know if I've ever had the Nestle's chocolate syrup. I guess I'd better take a look at it, huh?

I wish they still sold PDQ - it came in chocolate, strawberry & eggnog.

hiccups
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Okay, fine. I will try it next time it's shopping time. What about price, though? That's my bottom line these days.
It was very comparable to Hershey's at my Winco. The Nestle was a teeny bit more per ounce, iirc. I haven't priced it other places yet.

Earthling
03-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Nestle is usually just a few cents more as mentioned. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish - get the healthier stuff that tastes better. (Do I sound like yer mama?) :l0 (25):

signseeker
03-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm not getting sucked into your pickiness - oh, excuse me, your good taste - when it comes to chocolate syrup. Isn't Nestle from France anyway? Yeah, nevermind. I'm sticking with the American stuff.

hiccups
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm not getting sucked into your pickiness - oh, excuse me, your good taste - when it comes to chocolate syrup. Isn't Nestle from France anyway? Yeah, nevermind. I'm sticking with the American stuff.
My Nestle syrup was made in Canada.

signseeker
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Hmm... Canada, huh? I've always had a soft spot for Canada... :glare: <--thinking

Earthling
03-01-2011, 07:36 PM
While you're thinking don't forget the Nutella . . . . :l0 (48): :thumbup1: It is awesome stuff and the French eat it practically daily. Yup - in the emergency I will be eating crepes with nutella. :l0 (48):

Noahs ARK
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Yup - in the emergency I will be eating crepes with nutella. :l0 (48):

Drizzled with a little Nestle's chocolate? :biggrinjester:

Earthling
03-02-2011, 12:17 AM
How about homemade ice cream made with shelf stable milk & cream drizzled with hot fudge? I need another run to Gossner's in Logan for the shelf stable dairy items. In France that is all they drink is shelf stable milk. It is convenient.

Dolcezza - I think England also uses shelf stable milk?

4evermama
03-02-2011, 04:52 AM
LOOOOOOOOVE Gossner's.

And REALLY love the thought of ice cream supplies for my March prep goals.:thumbup1:

signseeker
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Earthquakes and ice cream go together. :yesnod:

And yeah, despite the French endorsement, I love Nutella. :D

Earthling
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
And yeah, despite the French endorsement, I love Nutella. :D

Endorsement? Ha - Nutella is as French as pasta is Italian. Just saying . . . :l0 (15): You can get a crepe with Nutella even in grocery & hardware store parking lots from street vendors - and they are always busy. Did you know standard child's breakfast in France is hot chocolate (good stuff made from scratch from quality cocoa) and bread or a roll of some kind like Pain au Chocolat (roll with chocolate filling). We have a aisle each devoted to chips & beer in our grocery stores - they have a whole aisle devoted to chocolate bars and another for wine even in small stores. You got to love folks who are so devoted to good chocolate!!

Now Sign - get in touch with your "inner French" and buy some good cocoa, chocolate, etc. Oh yeah - also buy one of those great 2 packs of Nutella at Costco. :d0 (16):

signseeker
03-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I killed my inner French a while ago. You know I've been there, right? C'est surfaite. :)

I know you're all into this "I love France" mode cuz your grandkids are there, but sheesh - let's have a wee bit of objectivity, huh? France hasn't been cool for like, 500 years.

Earthling
03-02-2011, 09:16 AM
The grandkids (2 oldest boys anyway) are coming to visit during the end of June & all of July so I get a chance to "Americanize" them. Did you know the French are fascinated with the cowboy culture? I need to have them meet a "cowboy" (just wear a hat & boots) while they are here & maybe put them on a horse for a minute. Anyone I can talk into helping me with that? They are very polite 8 & 10 year old boys who would never forget that! You would be like a movie star to them!!

signseeker
03-02-2011, 01:40 PM
We might be able to arrange something... I work in cash and barter. :l0 (4):

Noahs ARK
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
How about homemade ice cream made with shelf stable milk & cream drizzled with hot fudge? I need another run to Gossner's in Logan for the shelf stable dairy items. In France that is all they drink is shelf stable milk. It is convenient.

Dolcezza - I think England also uses shelf stable milk?

EEK - I forgot about the shelf stable milk you told me about.

We drank it when we were over in West Africa. It's been too long to remember how it tasted, tho.

JuneGem
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM
So what do you think is the shelf life of Nutella? I mean, assuming you can put it on the shelf and forget about it. OK, just PRETEND you can do that. I hadn't thought about putting that in the storage pantry. But I could probably make an argument for it if it has a reasonable shelf life.

Noahs ARK
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
So what do you think is the shelf life of Nutella?

http://bestifusedby.com/

Scroll down to Nutella. Best if used within 1 year of "sell by" date.

Earthling
03-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately Nutella doesn't store a long time because it has nuts in it and you are not supposed to refrigerate it. Soooo you have to buy & eat it . . . darn! My plan is this - buy Nutella in double pack at Costco. When you start into the second jar, buy another 2 pack. It never lasts more than a year. Honestly - have you tried this stuff on waffles? Wow!

Earthling
03-03-2011, 12:18 AM
We might be able to arrange something... I work in cash and barter. :l0 (4):

Sounds good. I know I still have credit with you for buying those 1/2 gallon mason jars and giving you the sourdough start & cookbook for free. right? That is what friends are for - to help each other out. Actually Sign - I was hoping you would volunteer :hurray: cuz I didn't want to ask . . . Plus I have wanted to visit you & the horses during the summer anyway (as previously discussed). I won't let Mirk come cuz he would want to do something different with the horses than ride them. :shocked:

I thought I could take the boys down to the local Smith & Edwards to gawk at "real life cowboys" - look boys - there is one of them varmints now!!
What is funny is the oldest is in a prestigious gun club and just won the top award in his age group. Y'all didn't know the French had it in them did ya? That kid is a good shot like his grandma!

signseeker
03-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Holy cow, I said "might." You're just like my kids. :sneaky2:

ghostcat
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I'd offer to arrange a meeting with a real cowboy, but the one I knew locally "done got old an up an died"!:biggrin5: I still know his grandson, who is a working ranch hand and my nephew but he lives too far away!

signseeker
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Mind your own beeswax, ghostie. :sneaky2: