PDA

View Full Version : Generator - need suggestions!

Noahs ARK
02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Just for background info....Most of you know that my husband is a quad. One of the many health concerns he has is getting over-heated or cold because his body can't regulate the heat & cold like ours can.

Anyway, we have been blessed again. The VA has given us an Adaptive Housing Grant.

One of the things I'm interested in purchasing is a generator, so that we don't run into any health issues if we lose power for more than a few hours.

I spoke with the General Contractor today and he thinks a generator will be approved and suggested we think about what kind we want so he can write it up when he comes here this week or next.

While it would be wonderful to have a generator that would handle everything in my home, I would be perfectly happy having enough power to keep a couple rooms warm/cool, depending on the weather.

What kind would you get if cost wasn't an issue?

Poltax
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
First off you need to determine what electrical items you want or need the generator to run. Then add up the watts that each appliance or unit uses. Add all the totals together and then that total will be a start as to the size of generator that you would need.

From there you can decide if you want, gas, diesel, or propane powered. Generac makes some nice household units. Honda generally is the upper end and best out there.

Prices would be determined by what size in watts you will need.

Noahs ARK
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
From there you can decide if you want, gas, diesel, or propane powered. Generac makes some nice household units. Honda generally is the upper end and best out there.

The general contractor said he'd help us determine what size we need once it's approved.

I was thinking Solar would be the easiest, but I don't know if it would work as well.

kts532
03-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Do you have gas heat or electric. I would go with one that runs of natural gas if it is available, and use a automatic transfer switch. that way when the power goes out it will start and power your house. that is what most people use if they have medical problems.

Noahs ARK
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Do you have gas heat or electric. I would go with one that runs of natural gas if it is available, and use a automatic transfer switch. that way when the power goes out it will start and power your house. that is what most people use if they have medical problems.

We have all electric.

Hubby's swinging towards propane and I'm swinging towards solar (only because I thought it would be easier to deal with solar).

KF7EEC
03-02-2011, 02:30 AM
...I'm swinging towards solar (only because I thought it would be easier to deal with solar).

I think you'll find solar to be much much more expensive...

Soldierboy
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I think you'll find solar to be much much more expensive...
Yes, one would think that even a decent sized window-AC would draw LOTS of power, requiring a pretty big array of solar panels, charge controllers, and batteries. Motors are the hardest thing to run off solar, as they eat so much power. And don't let anybody fool you, there are maintenance work and costs associated with solar. But once you get past the initial costs (not cheap), then it's not too bad.

I've been using solar for my radios for some years now, and it can be a pain to keep the batteries properly maintained. Especially if you don't use them regularly, such as in an emergency system. You'd probably want some professional help with that, like a DC-qualified electrician.

All that being said, solar power is much farther off the grid than just about anything else, so there is a lot of merit in that. Assume full grid-down for an indefinite period, and electricity, natural gas, fuel for generators, etc. will just go away after not very long.

Noahs ARK
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Hm...okay - I was thinking solar would be good if I can't buy gas or propane when/if TSHTF.

Hubby said we could get a propane tank & keep it filled. I did some research on buried propane tanks. Of course if you can't GET propane, a buried tank won't do much good.

I'm trying to figure out what's best for the long haul.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Looking Forward
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Hm...okay - I was thinking solar would be good if I can't buy gas or propane when/if TSHTF.

Hubby said we could get a propane tank & keep it filled. I did some research on buried propane tanks. Of course if you can't GET propane, a buried tank won't do much good.

I'm trying to figure out what's best for the long haul.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Where I live, you are leasing your propane tank, therefore would NOT be allowed to bury it. IF you decide to buy the tank, find a way to transfer from one tank to another. If not then you had better trust the propane guy to not let anyone else know about the tank. We are lucky in that we own our tank, came with the house, but most around here do not.

We have a friend that used to have a propane generator, but hated it. He couldn't ever get it to run, so he traded it in for a desiel.

If you are ambitious then think of using a generator that you can run on alternative fuels. (NOT ethenol). I think gas generators are easier to do this, but still a lot of work.

We have a couple of generators, and they are noisy. When we had to charge our batteries (we are on solar, and wind, and soon to be water power) with the generator we had to make sure that we were aware of the time of day, so as to not disturb our neighbors. So that is something to consider, if you are wanting to keep your generator when TSHTF:l0 (2): We would like one that is really quiet, but they are on the higher end $$$$.

Looking Forward
03-02-2011, 04:58 PM
another thought: I agree that you should figure out how much power you use, and what you are wanting to keep running when there is no power. Do not wait for the contractor to decide for you. If you are informed, then you will get the generator that will best suit your needs. Also you may not want him to go through your house and find your...:vork:

I have met a guy who has wind, solar, and other alternative power systems as a back up to his house. He is on oxygen, and where they live if there is a power outage, they will be the last to get back on line.

Good luck in finding a generator!

kts532
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Having a combination of solar and generator is the best for problem times. The problem that you will have with solar is you will not be able to have enough panels to run heating or A/C. I dont think the V.A. will pay for both.I would have them do the genertator and then you can add solar for small appliances and lighting. If you have natural gas available in your area that would be what I would use for fuel. Yes you might have a problem if thshtf but for every day use it is the best. That way you do not have to store fuel that might be illegal in some areas.