PDA

View Full Version : Shorter shelve lifes for MREs

Pitcher
03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
The Defense Logistics agency has new information on the shelf life of MREs. It is quite a bit shorter than the old one. Here is a link to an article on it. http://www.preparednessadvice.com/

Noahs ARK
03-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Good article - thanks!

waif69
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
But, but I want my MREs to last forever.

OK a quick summary: The old info was they would last 130 months or over 10 years if stored at 60F. The new info is they will store 36 months or 3 years if stored at 80F. However, it also stated that if they are stored at lower temperatures, they will last longer, but didn't specify with exception of some graphs. The author also commented on eating a 15 year old MRE and thought the taste wasn't that good. I can tell you from personal experience, the taste and texture of the MREs have greatly improved from when I first had them over 20 years ago. Although I do miss the freeze dried fruit that they used to have in them.

Oh, my! I just realized that I am getting old. :eek6:

Pitcher
03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
You missed the explanation of why the MRE's shelf life has been shortened. It is because of the improvements to the MRE. It also indicate that the way to extend the shelf life with lower temperatures is cold storage. You also missed the mention of the time temperature indicators on the new MREs. The new MREs have a lot shorter shelf life than the old

waif69
03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Improvements cause the shorter shelf life. That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

Pitcher
03-18-2011, 12:34 PM
The elimination of freeze dried foods and the improvements in taste is the cause of the shortened shelf life. Sounds a bit stupid to me too, but the government can always buy more, money has no meaning to them. The shorten shelf life only applies to the newer MREs. Don't know the cut off date

Earthling
03-18-2011, 10:54 PM
So are my 15 year old MRE's any good?

Pitcher
03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Your 15 year old MREs if stored correctly are probably fine, but nearing the end of their life. If they are not swollen or leaking they should be OK to eat. I would start using them up

Earthling
03-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Guess I could take them camping this summer and try to eat them. As Sign will tell you - we are food snobs - so they don't sound very appetizing.