PDA

View Full Version : Another reason I should have been home schooling

caml
03-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Last night my 13 year old wanted to know how to use a semi colon. Her understanding of the uses for a semi colon revolve around texting emoticons. Finally I came to understand that she was writting a paper on the UN. Of course I think the UN is evil and I told her so. Her teacher thinks the UN is just great. In fact its awesome. I spent an hour trying to explain some things to her from my perspective. Everytime I tried to show an example I had to stop and explain a tangent. :cryin:

I know she is only 13 but she used to be a bright child. This month I learned that she has no idea who Gahndi or Bob Marley were. But she thinks she knows who Hitler was, a failed artist.:shocked: That's what you get when you let your kids view you-tube.

Our highschool will house grades 6 - 12 next year. Highschool is like a giant sewer. If the band program wasn't the best in the region, and if I could tolerate teenagers......... All I can say is I really, really hope we are close to the second coming because I don't see how these kids really have a fair chance anymore. :nonod:

prairiemom
03-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Hsing might not be for everyone but I think most people would benefit from it. Certainly your daughter will. It is frustrating how our children are stunted--socially, intellectually, politically, mentally and spiritually--by ps.

Good luck with your new adventure! May I suggest starting your jr and sr high students off with Thomas Woods' book The Politically Incorrect Guide to US History? Then follow it with the PIG to the Depression and any of the other PIG books, to correct some of the propaganda they've been fed.

Julie
03-29-2011, 08:18 AM
In my state they allow homeschoolers to attend whatever public school classes they want and stay home for the rest. Some participate in sports and others in the music programs. You ought to see if there could be some kind of an arrangement like that.

ZDMZ
03-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Technically, Hitler was a failed artist. He stole more stuff from museums and personal art collections than anyone else I can think of. He wanted to make the worlds most impressive museum ever....ultimatly he did fail. :d0 (74):

I went to public school and I often think that, other than math and how to avoid getting into fights, most of what I know I learned after high school. :skep:

caml
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
If my kids were younger I would switch to home school. In our area you pick HS or public. Most families that HS send their kids to public school for the final years of highschool so they can get a diploma and get into university.

I guess I should count my blessings. At least she is asking questions and listening to a different point of view. For good or bad her older brother likes to watch Glenn Beck with me. Then he goes and talks about the issues in public. Heaven help them both, literally.

arbilad
03-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Many universities, including some big name ones, will accept a homeschool transcript for the entrance process.

caml
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I'll have to do some research and see if the universities in our area will. Sometimes living in Canada has it's benefits and sometimes it does not. Each province has it's own standards on education. For example, Ontario has a grade 13 most students attend before university. DH got kicked out of grade 13 when he was a kid. :l0 (51):

phylm
03-29-2011, 06:54 PM
If my kids were younger I would switch to home school. In our area you pick HS or public. Most families that HS send their kids to public school for the final years of highschool so they can get a diploma and get into university.

I guess I should count my blessings. At least she is asking questions and listening to a different point of view. For good or bad her older brother likes to watch Glenn Beck with me. Then he goes and talks about the issues in public. Heaven help them both, literally.

One of my Utah grandsons was home-schooled for 12 years. After 4 years at UU, he went to Oxford (with his little family) on a full scholarship for his Master's.