View Full Version : Egg special and how to make your own dehydrated eggs

arbilad
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I got this email today from MREDepot.com, and thought that I would share:

How do they make them?
Do I really need them?
What is the shelf life?
Can I make my own?

I get asked the above questions more and more frequently these days, so if you'll permit me, I'll jump on my soap box once again and see if i can answer these for you so you can decide if they are worth spending your hard-earned money on.

Where did the idea come from, and how are they made today?

Powdered Whole Eggs (some times referred to as Spray-Dried Eggs or Dehydrated Eggs) have actually been around since the 1930's. They were developed by Albert Grant and co of the Mile End Road - a cake manufacturer who was importing liquid egg from China at the time. It was actually one of his staff that realized that the eggs were 95% water and therefore expensive to ship from the Orient. They built an experimental freeze drying plant and gave it a try. The end result after much trial and error was that a factory was ultimately set up in Singapore to process Chinese eggs.

As war approached Grant transferred his dried egg facility to Argentina. The patent was lifted by the British government during the war and many other suppliers came into the market, notably in the USA. Powdered eggs were used extensively throughout the Second World War for rationing and were widely used by troops in the field as well as at home during wartime shortages. They are actually still used by many restaurants today - not only in egg dishes, but especially in baking.

Today the process of creating powdered eggs has been simplified and is very cost effective compared to the earlier methods. The eggs are cracked and separated from their shell, then the liquid is pumped through hoses to the top of a large (50 to 70 foot tall) vacuum oven/chamber. Very fine nozzles spray a mist of eggs at the top of the tower, which is heated like an oven to pasteurize the eggs for safety, and the vacuum inside means that by the time the fine droplets of eggs reach the bottom of the chamber, it is in the form of a fine powder with an extremely low moisture content. Viola - Powdered or Spray Dried Whole egg.

The end result is an extremely safe product since it has been pasteurized immediately prior to drying, and the same motivation for their development is still the biggest selling feature - you don't have to pay to ship all of the water weight, and you get an extremely versatile product with a very long shelf life.

What is the shelf life on them?

Conservative estimates for the shelf life are 5 to 10 years. But like anything else, it depends on packaging and storage conditions. We can these in a #2.5 can with a food grade desiccant to ensure that it remains moisture free, and a food-grade oxygen absorber to make sure that all residual oxygen is removed from the can prior to sealing.

Our shelf life statement is 10+ years because of the way we package them, but I wouldn't hesitate to tell you that if you store these in a cool, dry area out of direct sunlight, 15 to 20 years is not that unreasonable. Another question I get a lot is what is the shelf life once the can is open. This also varies by how you store any unused product. Let in oxygen and even just a moderately humid environment, and you can probably only plan safely on 30 to 60 days. If you reseal the unused product in a good Zip Lock bag or even a food saver pouch, a year is very conservative. Throw them in a freezer or even the fridge, and if they are tightly sealed, another 5 years at a minimum is not unreasonable.

The problem with that is if the power went out, you may not have access to a food saver, and you certainly may not have access to refrigeration. So we made the decision to can them in a #2.5 can instead of the traditional #10 can, because lets face it, even with a family of 8, you'd have to eat eggs every day just to make sure that the unused portion in a open can would not go bad in a #10 can. A family of four having scrambled eggs or an omelet 3 or 4 times a week would finish a #2.5 can in probably a week or two, so no worries about having to toss any.

Do I really need them as part of my food storage plan?

That of course is a question only you can answer based on the needs of your family and more importantly, the individual tastes of every family member. But most of you know me fairly well, and above all else, I always preach variety to avoid menu fatigue (getting tired of eating the same thing day in and day out in an emergency). Imagine your conditions at home should something happen that will require you to dig into your food stores to feed your family.

Whether another great depression, lay-off or hyper-inflation means we can't afford fresh foods or a major natural disaster or national emergency shuts the power done for an extended period, your already going to be stressed out due to events. Take away lights, normal distractions like TV, Nintendo, phones, fuel for traveling to visit friends, etc., and everyone is going to be unsettled and on edge - especially kids! With stress levels already high, the last thing you want to do is stress your digestive system by eating rice, beans and porridge day in and day out.

Therefore, I am a big believer in trying to keep your diet as close to normal as possible without breaking the bank. That means that having real eggs or even real cold cereals for breakfast on hand will actually be a big moral booster and convey a small sense of normalcy - especially for sensitive pallets, young children and those with special dietary requirements.

Plus, a diet of emergency food not only has to taste good, but it needs to be nutritious and healthy, which will go a long way in maintaining your health and stamina in times of great stress. Eggs will be an excellent source of protein and essentials fats in your diet, and they are extremely versatile, so you can use them in dozens of other dishes. They can be substituted for baking recipes that call for eggs, and they can be added to oatmeal, stews and casseroles for a protein and flavor boost to make some of your other foods go a lot longer. Their will be nothing worse than having to ration food or not getting enough calories, as fatigue will quickly set in and you will become much more sus! ceptible to sickness.

Bottom line, the major advantages of powdered eggs over fresh eggs are the price, reduced weight per volume of whole egg equivalent, and the shelf life. Other advantages include smaller usage of storage space, and lack of need for refrigeration. Powdered eggs can be used without rehydration when baking, and can be rehydrated to make dishes such as scrambled eggs and omelets.

How do I use them?

To reconstitute one egg, mix one tablespoon of Powdered Whole Eggs with 2 Tablespoons of Water. Use for any recipe that calls for eggs. When using with other dry ingredients (in baking for example), it is not necessary to reconstitiute the eggs first. Simply add to other dry ingredients and increase the water measurement in mixture to necessary amount,

Can I make my own powdered eggs?

That is a less often asked question, but a good one. Most people don't know that it is actually relatively easy to do at home if you have the time. Of course, look at the costs of having it done for you and take into consideration whether you have the time and patience to do this yourself. Then make sure that you have a way to package them so they will store for long term.

If you shop for specials at your local grocery store or big box club, you can still sometimes find decent prices on eggs even with the rising cost of foods. Then it is actually as simple as 7 steps to me your own fresh powdered eggs;

Step 1; Scramble your eggs in a bowl. Pour them in a sauté pan and cook until done.

Step 2; Drain the excess grease and moisture for a few minutes on a paper towel.

Step 3; Break the eggs into tiny pieces.

Step 4; Spread the eggs out onto a baking sheet.

Step 5; Dry at 135° F for at least 10 hours.

Step 6; Run the eggs through a blender until they form a fine powder.

Step 7; Store your powdered eggs either in a heavy plastic bag, or a jar with a tight lid.

If doing this yourself is not an option, then check out our powdered eggs already canned for you. For a limited time, we are offering them by the case of 12 cans with a 15% discount (see below for details). Or if a case is too much for your family, we also sell them by the can.

Plus, to add more variety, see some of our other canned breakfast goodies - nothing puts a smile on a face like cocoa crunchies, fruit loops or frosted flakes;-)

As our thanks, please use the coupon code EggCase during checkout for a 15% Discount on a Full case of 12 Cans of Powdered Whole Eggs, no minimum purchase required. Does not apply to any other products. Cannot be combined with any other Promotion Code or Offer. Offer good for only the first 1,000 cases purchased. First Come, First Served. No Rain Checks Available. While Supplies Last. Not Valid on Prior Orders. Available through http://www.mredepot.com/ website purchases only - not valid for eBay Sales.

jackmormon
06-16-2011, 08:03 PM
...I always preach variety to avoid menu fatigue (getting tired of eating the same thing day in and day out in an emergency)...

This is when the neighbor's pets come in handy, and for some here, it's when the neighbors themselves come in handy.