PDA

View Full Version : What's your July prep goal? ..

Noahs ARK
06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
This month one of my goals is to pay off another credit card. We've managed to pay off 4 of the 10, so it's an ongoing process.

I'd like to get my 1-year supply of paper towels & toilet paper this month. I've been keeping track of how much we use on a daily basis and I've multiplied that x 2 because I think we'll need more if & when TSHTF because of hygiene issues in general. I can't even imagine how much we'll need if the kids/grandkids have to come live with us.

I'm feeling the need for more buckets of wheat, beans, oatmeal, instant rice, pasta & sugar. Don't know if I'll tackle that this month or next month - hubby and I will talk about it.

Oh - I ordered some books from "Solutions From Science". I'm excited about those!

We continue to research generators.

So....what's your goal?

LoudmouthMormon
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Continue with Krav Maga for me & kids, and realize blessings of being less fat and out of shape than I've always been up until now!

By end of July, I want to be hitting a 16 minute mile regularly. (Hit 17 in June)

JuneGem
06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I definitely want to get more rice and we have been fleshing out more variety in the "pantry." I've been looking at what we have and trying to think up more ways to use it and what needs to be added to achieve those additional recipes. For instance, we have canned potato chunks that can be used in stew and soup and I realized that they can also be used for clam chowder ... if I add cans of clams. So that went on the list.

Our first tomatoes have ripened. Only a couple, so they've gone straight to the table. Can't wait for a larger ripening later this summer and get some canned for the pantry!

Noahs ARK
06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I definitely want to get more rice and we have been fleshing out more variety in the "pantry." I've been looking at what we have and trying to think up more ways to use it and what needs to be added to achieve those additional recipes. For instance, we have canned potato chunks that can be used in stew and soup and I realized that they can also be used for clam chowder ... if I add cans of clams. So that went on the list.

Excellent idea! Now I need to look at my Master List. I have a lot of 'soup base', so I think I'll look at different soup options and then compare it to what I have stored. I see EE has chopped broccoli & cauliflower on sale and those would be excellent to add to the soup base. We love clam chowder, but I don't have any canned clams on my shelf. I need to get on the ball.

Thanks!!

4evermama
06-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Jam, jam, jam, jam and more jam.
Water rotation is coming due.
Fill up fuel cans when the price drops back to affordable levels. Mwa ha ha!:d0 (74):

mirkwood
06-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Turn my 1.5 mile run into a 3 mile run.

signseeker
06-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Back to the gym on a regular basis.

GAMom
06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
We are in the midst of emptying, cleaning, and refilling our water barrels. I'll be more at ease once this is completed. I'm continuing to find things on sale and have coupons for and add them to our food storage. We are busy cleaning, rearranging and revamping our food storage area as well. It's quite an undertaking. Blueberries have come in down here in Georgia and so I plan to go pick a few gallons and freeze them.

Babbi-Dan
07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
I am completely out of canned green beans and canned peas. I don't like canned green beans unless they are fixed a couple of ways. I have one good recipe I use for the green beans, and two recipes I use for the canned peas. Other than that we don't eat them much. But since I am out of them completely, I have to put them on my "To Do" list.

Noahs ARK
07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I have one good recipe I use for the green beans, and two recipes I use for the canned peas..

Can you share your recipes with us? I'm always looking for new ways to fix green beans and peas. Thanx!

Babbi-Dan
07-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I will look them up tomorrow and post them for you. Hopefully, you will like them too!

Noahs ARK
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you!

DMGNUT
07-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Babbi-Dan, EE has the freeze dried green beans for $10 per #10 can this month (July).
That's a good price for something with a 25+ yr shelf life.
It's on the last page of their add, in the group buy section.
You have to order 12 cans, so maybe find another family or 2 who'd like some.
Remember, the group buy items are free shipping (and so is anything else you order at the same time).

Babbi-Dan
07-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Here's a recipe for Pea Salad. I make it sometimes instead of potato salad. I love it, and I have a few friends that I make it for by their special request. Some people really dislike it though, so try it and maybe you will like it, and maybe not! An easy salad to make.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> 2 cans peas, drained
4 hard-boiled eggs
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 medium onion, chopped fine
Miracle Whip to mix – (You will want it moist, not dry.)
Touch of celery salt

Mix all the above together and give it a good stir. Put in fridge to chill and let the ingredients mingle. Enjoy!

Babbi-Dan
07-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Recipe for creamed peas:

This recipe calls for using the LeSuer (spelling?) Brand peas, which are tiny canned peas. I have made this recipe using the brand of peas called for, and it is goes good with a slice of ham browned in a skillet, or just alone. I have also made these using the cheap canned peas, and the result is okay, but not as good. Try it and see what you think...

Creamed Peas

1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 17-oz can peas, undrained
1/4 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a pan then add flour and stir. Add the milk all at once and stir until mixed well with butter and flour mixture. Heat to boiling. Add canned peas and salt. Cook for a few minutes until heated through and good and hot.

Babbi-Dan
07-04-2011, 07:05 AM
This recipe is from an old magazine called Better Homes and Gardens Creative Ideas: Diet and Exercise (1980). I have made these for a few church pot luck dinners, and there are usually no leftovers.

Green Beans Piquant

1 pound whole green beans (I just use the canned green beans.)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 slices bacon
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt

In saucepan combine green beans, onion, and water, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, for 25 minutes or till beans are tender; drain. (When using the canned green beans, I don't cook them that long--maybe just 15 minutes on a low simmer to absorb the onion flavor.) In skillet cook bacon till crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Return reserved drippings to skillt; stir in vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring mixture to boiling. Pour sauce over drained beans in saucepan; sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Toss lightly to mix. Cover; return to heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings.

When I use the canned green beans, I think I drain them first. Can't remember just now. The goal is to let them absorb the onion flavor. If I make a big portion, I will double the bacon and sauce.

Noahs ARK
07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Babbi-Dan ~ I can tell by the ingredients that we'll like all the recipes you posted. I'm especially anxious to try the recipes for peas.

Thanks so much!

Babbi-Dan
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
You're welcome. Hope you like them!

LoudmouthMormon
07-18-2011, 08:00 AM
By end of July, I want to be hitting a 16 minute mile regularly. (Hit 17 in June)I came within a few seconds of hitting this goal last week. This week oughta do the trick - I'm moving the treadmill from 3.8 mph to 4.

Earthling
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
My goal is to survive my grandson's visit (5 weeks). I am really enjoying it but am not used to taking care of 8 & 10 yr old boys 24/7 . . . getting old . . . but doing a lot of fun things with them.

My other goal is to keep my yard/garden weeded and under control. Worked on it tonight - so far - so good.

ghostcat
07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
My other goal is to keep my yard/garden weeded and under control. Worked on it tonight - so far - so good. Sounds like a good use for 8 & 10 yr old boys!!:wink5:

Earthling
07-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Problem is having them weed and not remove my vegetable plants . . . it's been a hard year getting stuff growing so some of it is still small. I have lots of lettuce though!