View Full Version : Just in time for the canning season

prairiemom
08-19-2011, 07:16 AM
(At least around here the canning season is just starting up.) :l0 (51):

This article (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/330658/publisher_ID/1/) was on the front page of Tuesday's paper. If that doesn't scare you into safe canning, nothing will. Every year I have a couple people ask me the process for canning carrots or beans with a water bath. :yikes: Aaaack! No, no, no--don't do it! I don't care if your Great Aunt Martha did it for years and no one died--DON'T DO IT! And please throw out all canning recipes that are older than 15 yrs. They may not be safe with today's foods.

Earthling
08-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I got this recipe today off of the Lowes website. I was surprised to see it is made with a water bath. Do you think it is because of the vinegar? Sounds like a good recipe. What do you think?

PICKLED GARDEN VEGETABLES
Prep: 1 hour 30 minutes
• 1 pound carrots, peeled
• 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
• 3 cups cauliflower florets
• 3 green and/or red sweet peppers, cut into strips
• 2 zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
• 2 onions, cut into wedges
• 3 cups water
• 3 cups white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 tablespoon pickling salt
• 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
1. Halve any large carrots lengthwise. Slice carrots 1/4-inch thick with a crinkle cutter or sharp knife. Place carrots, green beans, cauliflower, sweet peppers, zucchini, and onions in an 8-quart kettle. Add water to cover. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, 3 minutes. Drain.

2. Pack vegetables into hot, sterilized pint canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Set aside.

3. In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups water, vinegar, sugar, salt, dill, crushed red pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling. Pour over vegetables in jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove jars from canner; cool on a wire rack. Makes 7 pints.

http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/projects/Easy_Canning_Recipes_0811.aspx

Toni
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
I got this recipe today off of the Lowes website. I was surprised to see it is made with a water bath. Do you think it is because of the vinegar? Sounds like a good recipe. What do you think?

I think it probably is because of the vinegar. I'd still be leery, but maybe that's because I haven't had enough experience with bottling food.

prairiemom
08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, basically it's pickled veggies. There's a giardinera recipe by the USDA that's very similar to that one. Pickles are all water bathed.