PDA

View Full Version : August 2011 Preps

GAMom
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry if this is a duplicate, I looked all over and couldn't find the one for August 2011. If this need to be combined, please do so.

I wanted to share that I just got some wonderful goodies to add to my August preps. At Lehmans, I got a package of 6 large Olive Oil Elements & wicks. It was very reasonable and this way I can use up that old olive oil in my storage that I can't use in cooking any more. Here are a couple of pics of the lamp. I took it in a completely dark room to test it out. It isn't really really bright, but definitely better than nothing - about the same as a 100 hr. candle puts out.

I also got a solar oven, which I haven't tried out yet, and ordered a Volcano Stove with the propane attachment. This month I'm concentrating on things that do not require electricity.

Have any of you tried these products before? If so what is your experiences with them?

arbilad
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I've used my Volcano stove with charcoal, and I was able to use much less charcoal for the same amount of cooking. In my mind it is a nice product that lets you make better use of your stored fuel.

GAMom
08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I tried out my solar oven today and it worked wonderful. I cooked a beef pot roast with seasonings & onions. It took about 5 hours, we had a cloudy afternoon here, but it tasted GREAT and was soooo tender. Tomorrow, we are going to the lake fishing & I plan to take it with us and cook some chicken & rice for dinner in it. Hopefully, it will turn out wonderful as well.

On another subject, have any of you used the "Tattler Reusable Canning Lids" ? I just ordered some and hopefully they are as good as they are supposed to be! If you have tried them, please let me know what your opinion of them are. Thanks

phylm
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
I tried out my solar oven today and it worked wonderful. I cooked a beef pot roast with seasonings & onions. It took about 5 hours, we had a cloudy afternoon here, but it tasted GREAT and was soooo tender. Tomorrow, we are going to the lake fishing & I plan to take it with us and cook some chicken & rice for dinner in it. Hopefully, it will turn out wonderful as well.

On another subject, have any of you used the "Tattler Reusable Canning Lids" ? I just ordered some and hopefully they are as good as they are supposed to be! If you have tried them, please let me know what your opinion of them are. Thanks

I'm planning to order some of those, too. I'm trying to find a method or devise to take off ordinary lids, that won't damage as many of them. I don't use used lids on meats, but don't mind them on a number of other foods.

Just got my new no-gasket pressure canner for my August prep item. Also 2 more cans of cheese blend, and Peggy Laytons': Cookin' With Dry Milk. She has some good recipes for cheeses, yogurts and much more.

Oh, yes, picked some wild "fox grapes" last week and made 2 batches of grape jelly from them. Yum!