PDA

View Full Version : Canning pears

ZDMZ
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
My wife and I have never done any canning before....gasp.....
A few weeks ago the ward arranged to get some pears from one of the church farms, so we go a couple boxes and had a go a canning pears.

I have a canner that I bought a few years ago, brushed the dust off of it and we went to work.

The pears were rather small, so it took a looong time to peel them but otherwise the process was pretty quick and simple.

We did not get them all done in one batch and the remaining pears started to ripen quickly, so we made some pear butter. That was also pretty easy, though messier than just making up jars of pears. Its very tasty.

We still had pears left and were tired of peeling them so we just steam juiced what was left and canned the juice. We will probably make most of the juice into jam later.

The next thing that I want to try is curing some meats. I bought a book called "Charcuterie" and a lot of the recipies there look interesting. The first thing I want to try is making some corned beef. It is supposed to be easy. All I need to do is find some pink salt.

I wouldn't mind trying to cure a ham. It is supposed to hang for several months at a temp if 60 degrees and 60% humidity but humidity is hard to find in Nevada.

prairiemom
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Very :coolgleamA: You might like this book: http://www.amazon.com/Preserving-Food-without-Freezing-Canning/dp/1933392592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317869703&sr=8-1

I've used several of the brining recipes and they are wonderful.

Noahs ARK
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
We still had pears left and were tired of peeling them so we just steam juiced what was left and canned the juice. We will probably make most of the juice into jam later.

Pear nectar is delicious!

arbilad
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
I have created corned beef a couple of times before. It is very tasty when done right.
The brine I use is just sugar, canning salt, and salt peter.
Then I leave it in the brine for three to four weeks, then pressure can it in a broth that was made using various spices.
I love corned beef, and so I am glad to be able to make it for long term storage.