PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an Electric Wheat Grinder

Harm
11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
So... my family and I are having to dip into our food storage due to finances this year (and probably next year) as my income as been limited and reduced. We are in no way in trouble but it is frustrating - however we were blessed when instructed at the time of our preperation to buy more than our family required for a period longer than a year.

But... we have a hand grinder for our wheat - which is incredible - but I'm not home often enough to grind enough for a weeks use - and my children are not old enough to truly grind enough usable amounts. And since my wife has her hands full with the children, making food, scouts, etc.

We should have a 3rd check in Dec - which is very helpful - and I would like to get her an electric wheat grinder for Christmas. What do you all recommend? This is something we'd probably be using on a weekly basis to make 6-9 loaves of bread, muffins, pasta etc.

So quality is a priority over cost. I'm ok paying a bit more if it runs longer, better, etc.

4evermama
11-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a Nutramill and a K-Tec. One for wheat, the other for gluten-free grains. each grind very well.

Nutramill- have owned one for 2 years and love it. easy to use, easy clean-up, quieter than the K-Tec. Flour quality is wonderful. Huge grain feed holds as much as you need to grind. It does take up counter space, but that doesn't bug me. Great piece of equipment. This is the one that I will buy for my kids when the time comes.

K-Tec- durable: have owned mine for 9 years (lots of wear) and it still runs like a champ. REALLY LOUD! Seriously, like a jet engine. Great flour quality. 2 basic parts make compact storage a breeze. the top half (motor) has a limited input area (about 2-3 cups) and you MUST be very careful to adjust the cup underneath or the flour will kick up into the motor. I've been vigilent so we've had no trouble, but I've known about 5-6 people who were careless in their set-up and wrecked the motor.

Fantastic resource:
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/index.aspx#Nutrimill

We've purchased through them several times and have experienced great service. Watch or ask about sale prices. Sometimes you can get a good deal.

Harm
11-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Awesome - thanks! I checked out the Nutrimill one and was suprised - Amazon has it for 260 and your website has it for 220.

Amazon was my first pick due to free shipping.

DMGNUT
11-02-2011, 09:00 PM
We have the Wonder Mill... as per the add at Emergency Essentials...
"Quiet technology puts the Wonder Mill in a class by itself. $259.95"
Have had it for about 4 or 5 years, but don't use it as often as most would.

Noahs ARK
11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a K-Tec and love, love, love it!!

I also have a Nutrimill, but haven't used it yet. :redface (2):

GAMom
11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I have a Nutramill and I used it all the time. I am very pleased with the quality of the wheat flour - I always grind it on the finest setting and it is so wonderful. There are some down sides to this mill though. I have found that although it will grind small beans - i.e. small white beans, and red beans - you are unable to grind anything that are too large to go thjrough the feeder. I haven't actually tried grinding any beans, but I do intend on doing this. I just haven't taken the time to do it yet. The advantage of grinding beans as well as wheat & pop corn are that when your dry beans are old and don't want to cook up easily, you can still grind them and use them in various methods.

I personally am considering getting a Country Mill grain mill - it can be converted from a hand grinder to using electric easily and it grind all sorts and sized of beans and other grains as well as wheat. I know others have posted here that they have it and apparently they like it. It IS pricy though and that can be a drawback. I want to get another grinder that if the SHTF than I can still grind things without wearing myself or others out.

I asked the people at Emergency Essentials about the Wonder MIll and it does grind beans as well as grains - but it is totally electric.

Just my thoughts.
Sandie

Harm
11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
We actually have the Country Mill you are talking about. it is amazing - but the motor set is over $400. we love it and won't be getting rid of it. but need something that will allow my wife to handle everything she needs to.

prairiemom
11-03-2011, 10:46 PM
We also have the Country Living mill--hooked up to a bicycle. Even as a hand mill it is VERY easy to operate.

We had the KTek and I hate to say it but I was not impressed with the quality. It lasted exactly 5 yrs and 2 mos. yep, 2 mos past the warranty expiration.

I also had their kitchen mixer/blender--the Kitchen Champ--and it was very inferior quality. I'm being generous when I say that. I had to send it in once for major repairs and then had to treat it with kid gloves (no more pasta, even though it has a pasta attachment and that was one of the reasons I bought it. No more 5-loaf batches of bread.) So when it died, I bought a Cuisinart which has performed twice as well as the Champ.

If you are not interested in a non-electric/electric dual use (like Country Living) then I would go with the Nutrimill--same technology as the KTek but a lot quieter.

Noahs ARK
11-03-2011, 11:43 PM
We actually have the Country Mill you are talking about. it is amazing - but the motor set is over $400. we love it and won't be getting rid of it. but need something that will allow my wife to handle everything she needs to.

I know money is tight, but I'd go with the motor to fit your Country Mill. Why risk being unhappy with a different mill if this one suits your needs by adding the motor?

Just my 02 cents.

Baconator
11-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I just discovered that they make a drill bit attachment to turn my WonderMill Jr.
Hand crank is good in case of emergency, but using a cordless drill on low sounded too convenient to pass up.

GAMom
11-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I wonder if they make something like that for the NutraGrain Mill?