PDA

View Full Version : Honey, to eat or not to eat

Earthling
11-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Honey, to eat or not to eat

Read about the stuff being sold as honey that isn't and which brand names are doing it.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

prairiemom
11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
One more reason why I say you NEED to know the source of your food. The D&C has warned us there are evil and designing men altering our food. For economy's sake, for health's sake, for morality's sake, you need to know who you are getting your food from.

Toni
11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
honey laundering - fraudulent and tainted hone and how to avoid it (http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/honey-laundering-fradulent-and-tainted-honey-and-how-to-avoid-it)

Dr.Jride
11-12-2011, 11:01 PM
You know what they say... How do you know it's real honey unless you know the beekeeper? Next year buy from me!

NoGreaterLove
11-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I bought two five gallon drums of honey from a guy In Arizona many years ago. I think I paid around 55$ a piece for them. Pure honey, as hard as it comes, rich and thick and strong tasting.. Still have 80% of it. Good stuff.

arbilad
11-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Jride,
I'm thinking about starting a hive. Any advice on where to buy hives, get packaged bees, etc? I'm already reading up on how to do it.

Toni
11-13-2011, 05:33 PM
You know what they say... How do you know it's real honey unless you know the beekeeper? Next year buy from me!

When do you begin selling it and how much do you charge? How far away from your home do you ship (if at all)?

Anyone else sell honey?

Baconator
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
We get our honey from Madhava Honey in Lyons, CO. They sell raw, unfiltered wildflower, clover and alfalfa honeys harvested around Niwot, Longmont and Mead, CO. I should probably get more that 12 lbs at a time.
Those hippies sell good stuff.

arbilad
11-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I get honey from the same place. They sell at the farmers market when that is open. Wonderful honey. But it's expensive. So I've been wondering if I could produce some on my own.
They also sell bee pollen and other bee products.

iggy
11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I emailed Emergency Essentials and asked about the honey they sell. Their response: Our honey is raw, from Utah and Idaho. It doesn't have any pollen removed.
Good to know.

Locally, our Saturday's Farmer Market will now be open year round, out at the Fairgrounds. YEAH!! No more having to take an umbrella along in case it rains on you.

There are two local (in Oregon) bee keepers who sell honey & products at the market- I will be going to the first market at the fairgrounds to see if they are going to continue to sell there. Want to check out their prices.

Also, an inactive member (and his adult family) of our Branch, are bee keepers. Need to find out if they still sell locally. Of all the honey I have ever had, theirs is by far the best. Most especially when the blackberries are blooming!!

phylm
11-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Good idea to get your honey locally if you can. It may halp with allergies.

Earthling
11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
I need to buy some from a beekeeper in my neighborhood. His bees love my raspberries & blackberries!