PDA

View Full Version : Bird flu kills off ostrich industry

cHeroKee
12-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Bird flu kills off ostrich industry (http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/bird-flu-kills-off-ostrich-industry-1.1195890)

December 9 2011 at 04:25pm
By Vincent Cruywagen

Up to 50 000 ostrich farmers face a black Christmas as bird flu threatens to wipe out the Cape’s R800 million industry.
The Karoo is the ostrich capital of the world.
But it is now on the verge of collapse after a devastating outbreak of H5N2, or avian influenza.
Up until now, farmworkers have been surviving on UIF benefits.
However, they had their final payment last month and are now facing ruin.
Ragel Arries,38, is one of the 39 laid off in June this year at Highgate Ostrich Show Farm.
A devastated Ragel now says she has no idea where her next meal will come from.
“Please Lord, put food on our tables this Christmas and don’t let the farms close down permanently,” she tells the Daily Voice.
“I received my last UIF benefit payment last month and.......continues........... (http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/bird-flu-kills-off-ostrich-industry-1.1195890)

Cassiopeia
12-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Cherokee, you plagued me with this article....like a song from radio that you can't get out of your head.

At first when I read the head-line, my response was a sarcastic, "dear me, what next?" But then animal lover that I am, I had to read the article.

Of course, then I couldn't help but feel for these farmers. It is an unusual source of income, but still it is food and rent. What will these poor people do now?

I didn't know bird flu was still an issue...

And even though ostriches are likely the ugliest of all the birds, except of course, vultures, I do feel bad that they are dying in large numbers.

If I start dreaming about these poor farmers and their stupid birds, I'm coming after you!

cHeroKee
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Affirmative.

.....and actually the bird flu is still a problem. It is not reported in the media right now, until it becomes a flavor of the month. Asia is still dealing with the bird flu.

Cherokee, you plagued me with this article....like a song from radio that you can't get out of your head.

At first when I read the head-line, my response was a sarcastic, "dear me, what next?" But then animal lover that I am, I had to read the article.

Of course, then I couldn't help but feel for these farmers. It is an unusual source of income, but still it is food and rent. What will these poor people do now?

I didn't know bird flu was still an issue...

And even though ostriches are likely the ugliest of all the birds, except of course, vultures, I do feel bad that they are dying in large numbers.

If I start dreaming about these poor farmers and their stupid birds, I'm coming after you!

Twizzles
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Affirmative.

.....and actually the bird flu is still a problem. It is not reported in the media right now, until it becomes a flavor of the month. Asia is still dealing with the bird flu.

About 3 weeks ago or so, I started feeling like I needed to get my food storage and all my Prepping Things out of my climatized storage unit. I explained the situation, and he rounded up 6 other ward members and moved it last Saturday. I was feeling like it needed to ALL be under my own roof, as we do not know when a pandemic of any kind may hit. It takes most of us several days to just get the word out. I like in an Elderly Branch and there is not anyone who can lifts things. It worked out where a freind took charge and they did it in 2 hours. WOW!!! That was my Christmas Miracle!!! When we start getting older, and are used to doing things yourselves all your life, it is VERY hard to ask anyone to help!!! We know that everyone is soooooo busy with their own families, jobs (if they are still lucky to have one) and church callings, and trying to find extra time with their companions.:001_ssmile::001_ssmile::001_ssmile::00 1_ssmile::001_ssmile::001_ssmile::001_ssmile:I had SEVEN ANGELS that day!!! Now to refill my 2 55 gallon water barrels and finish the organization once again. Will do that between Christmas and New Years.