PDA

View Full Version : Medford Oregon Cannery Story

mirkwood
04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
From another message board I'm on.

(04/24/08 00:22:44)
I was at the Bishop's storehouse in Medford Oregon today. We loaded 2800 lbs of food on my poor truck and hauled it home for ourselves and others.
there is NO red wheat. It was ordered, and hasn't come in on either of the last two shipments. There is a stack of notices on the table, saying it isn't available at this time.
White wheat is $6.25 per 25 lbs. I walked though the building (an old NG armory), and noted lots of bays and bins EMPTY. I was moving fast so I didn't notice exactly what wasn't being stocked, but those are large bays, to the ceiling, and it looks very, very empty, when one or two are empty. Worse when there are several right next to each other.
No black beans, No white beans, although they did have refried beans in 25 lb sacks. No Apple slices, No fruit drink mix, and they don't stock SALT. Ever.
There are only 22 items on the food storage list that are stocked, and not all are staples.
Demand for red wheat exceeds Y2K levels, according to a notice posted at the storehouse.
Now to an item I thought should be saved for last. Wheat was being rationed!
4 bags per person/family.
I loaded up 30 bags, but it was clear from the sheaf of order blanks and checks we showed up with that we were buying for a Ward.
People asked though.
As to the truck, it's a 2006 dodge, with the Cummins engine. 18-19 MPG up steep mountain roads headed home with over a ton of product on it. Oregon has weigh stations that are "On" even when closed, so you can just pull up on it and get a axle weight. A pickup will just fit both axles so our weight loaded was 10,150, with a tare of 7350. 2800 Almost a ton and a half. The bed barely came down on the overload (timbrins), and the truck purred all the way home. At 60-65 with bursts of 30-45 due to snow falling in the passes, that kept the milage up there.

DMGNUT
04-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Mirkwood, I was just about to post that myself... :cool (2):

If people are still waiting to be convinced that they really do need food storage (and 85% of the Churches' members fall into this category), then they waited too long.

cHeroKee
04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
The Church has been busy moving food for welfare purposes or in other words humanitarian purposes. I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.

cHeroKee