PDA

View Full Version : My Trip To Sam's Club Today

mirkwood
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
My Trip To Sam's Club Today

I went to see about this rice shortage myself. There is NO white rice. There was about a half to 2/3 pallet of brown rice. There is no wheat and no flour. There was normal amounts of Minute Rice and Bisquick. There were a lot more people then I am used to seeing in the store at the time I went. I'm usually alone in the aisle with rice and Bisqucik. Not today, there were at least ten others in the aisle with me.

Just some food for thought. I don't know if this is a real shortage or just panic buying, but either way, the product is not on the shelf and really that is all that matters.

Pilikia
04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I feel vindicated...

I'd been buying 50 lb bags of cal rose rice before Christmas to the point where my husband got mad at me. He thought I was being irrational and unreasonable. Not sure what the problem was, they didn't cost that much and it was MY OWN MONEY...

Rice is a staple part of our diet and the idea of not having any... *groan*

So either yesterday or the day before they were talking about the rice shortage on the news and I had to--I just had to--say something...

*big grin*

mirkwood
04-25-2008, 01:23 PM
A quick note to my above post. I may be wrong on flour, I did not look very hard for it cause I buy our flour at Macey's.

Earthling
04-25-2008, 02:48 PM
My son is in Costco in Ogden. He says there is no rice but plenty of oil and flour - both bread and regular flour. I told him to make sure he got some more 10 lb bags of chocolate chips. I have my whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe all ready to go in the "emergency".

mirkwood
04-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Prices at Honeyville Grain (Salt Lake City)

Flour #50 22.86 SOME IN STOCK

Rice #50 32.80 SOME IN STOCK

The person on the phone would give NO promises to stock left after tonight.

Molly
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Sams Club in Logan had no big bags of rice. We then went to Macey's. They had no big bags of rice either. I quickley checked out the isle of rice. I found 6 2 lb. bags of rice. They were kinda of pushed back a little bit & I thought there were only two. This was the brown rice. Whether that is all they have, I do not know. I was so grateful that I got what I did. If I had the time I would've hit all of the stores & got what I could. They were a few bags of white rice at Macey's. There was plenty of oil in Sams club. I didn't see flour. Not sure if I just plain missed the isle. I am so glad a few months ago I bought rice. When we are being obedient the Lord blesses us. From the mess of the shelf where the rice was,looked like people grabbed & ran.

Molly

prairiemom
04-26-2008, 10:34 AM
This to me is one more example of why it's important to support local businesses and suppliers and avoid those big box stores. I was able to buy 150 lbs rice last Wed at our local health food store. He had tons of rice, wheat, beans, whatever.

Molly
04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
This to me is one more example of why it's important to support local businesses and suppliers and avoid those big box stores. I was able to buy 150 lbs rice last Wed at our local health food store. He had tons of rice, wheat, beans, whatever.
Prairiemom,
You are so right. We do need to support our local businesses. I actually didn't go into Sam's or Macey's to buy rice. While I was there I looked to see what they had regarding rice. While I was at Macey's I did get what 6 they had left. I had bought rice & had what I needed. We buy the brown rice & it does not store well. I do put it in my freezer to keep it. So it limits me on how much I can buy & store. It was interesting though a few months ago when I did buy a 25 lb bag of Br. rice. I really felt the urgency to do so. Now I know why. I have worried about the local stores with all of this going on. Thank you for the good advise.

Molly

Molly
04-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Not one thing that I wrote in answering Prairiemom made any sense. Sorry about that. I shall go take a nap & see if it refreshes my mind. I refuse to admit, it has anything to do with my age.

Molly

BackBlast
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
My Trip To Sam's Club Today

I went to see about this rice shortage myself. There is NO white rice. There was about a half to 2/3 pallet of brown rice. There is no wheat and no flour. There was normal amounts of Minute Rice and Bisquick. There were a lot more people then I am used to seeing in the store at the time I went. I'm usually alone in the aisle with rice and Bisqucik. Not today, there were at least ten others in the aisle with me.

Just some food for thought. I don't know if this is a real shortage or just panic buying, but either way, the product is not on the shelf and really that is all that matters.

Panic buying mostly, at least here in the US. Yes, stocks are lower, prices are higher. It wasn't until the rice problem hit the major news outlets that the rice disappeared. I saw food reports of rice being in stock at most places early in the week, and disappeared by Friday. Total panic buying.

You may note that wheat was all the panic a few weeks ago, but new inventory is trickling into the canneries now. Rice is gone. And canneries are busy busy with the slothful.

I'm usually one to go against the grain, if the masses are doing something I'm looking to do something else. I'm thinking saving money is a good move about now...

Debt free, just purchased a used little vehicle to help the growing family. We'll ride this one out at home. But it won't stop me from showing it to my Bishop and all who will listen. :001_005:

Brandon

BackBlast
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
It's also interesting to note that wheat futures are down almost 50% from the peak around a month ago. That's a significant drop, and while it's in the direction we'd like to see - it still represents very very high volatility, a symptom of high emotions and further evidence of panic. I expect rice to remain in short supply in the poorer nations for the rest of the year. I do expect wheat to mostly recover as the crops start coming in. The news from the 3rd world will cease to be news, the panic will settle down and rice will once again be restocked - though at higher prices.

I don't expect to see last year's wheat and rice prices again.

The Bretheren have it right, settle down, easy goes it. If you were slothful and felt a panic, repent and get to the business of building your stocks in an even and tempered manner. Consider this your wakeup call to full obedience and compliance of the commandments. Even tempos don't cause unsupportable system shocks like panic does.

On a general note, I also expect a crescendo of similar events leading to the 2nd coming of the Lord. I think we've been seeing this over the last several years, tech stock crash, 9/11, Asian tsunami, Katrina, now global food stocks are low prompting some panic. I expect plagues, earthquakes, war, etc in the future as spoken of in the scriptures.

I think people will progressively start to put themselves into two general buckets. Both in the Church and out. Those with spiritual discernment to see, the desire to repent and grow closer to God and obey His commandments. And those who become more callous and hard as the events transpire.

Brandon

mirkwood
04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Just got back from Wal Mart. They only had one 2 lb bag of white rice. There was about 1/3 to 1/2 the normal amount of the 1 lb bags.