PDA

View Full Version : How are you prepping for your Pets?..

Noahs ARK
02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
#10 cans are available with dog & cat food, but the price is outrageous. We have 16 animals so that's not an option for us.

I suspect they'll be eating what we eat, so I'm trying to figure that into my prep supplies.

We thought about getting 5-gallon buckets and filling them with their food and throwing in oxygen absorbers, but thought I'd ask you prepping pros what you're doing before we decide.

Thanks in advance.

arbilad
02-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I used to worry about this when I had pets.
The short and simple answer is that for cats you have to store stuff to supplement their diet, for dogs you need to store food for all their dietary needs. Cats can hunt their own food, to an extent. With dogs, you have to be the one to provide food for them. Especially if there are a lot of mice around, your cat will get enough to eat, even if he's not getting as much as he would like to eat. Still a good idea to have treats stored for him so that he doesn't go far afield in search of food.
For either cats or dogs, I think that the best solution is to get a year's supply of whatever dry food they will eat. Dry pet food will last a year easily. Then just use the oldest bag every time they need new food and replace it with a new bag. If you buy the bags all at once, follow the same principle: periodically replace one old bag with a new bag, and eventually their expiration dates will be staggered, and when you get to the last bag you're still only using year old pet food.

LEVE
02-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I suspect they'll be eating what we eatI suspect that after a while I'd be eating them.

Noahs ARK
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
I suspect that after a while I'd be eating them.

There won't be much meat on them if you haven't been feeding them before you eat them. :l0 (58):

cHeroKee
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
A lot of chi being released here.

phylm
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Noah's--

We're storing our cat food (our old rescue Shih Tzu won't eat dog food since we put out cat food (rescue cat, too), in 5 gallon buckets with the oxygen packets in them. Should last indefinitely. In Florida there too many hungry pests to take a chance on unprotected bags of food.